Microphone system.

SidgeniCroskin

Respectfully request everyone's thoughts on microphone systems. Personal/realistic opinions? Brands (like ICOMM?)? Configuration (throat mics, headsets, bucket based)? Amp or no amp? Do yinz prefer to place speakers in your helmet or somewhere else? Help and time is appreciated?

I use an Aker voice amplifier, along with the headset mike it came with. I put the amp in the left pouch, thread the wire up through a small hole in the back of the pouch up under the chest armour and inside the flight suit. It works a treat.

• Like 2

I have a 12w Aker that I keep in my pouch, and a headworn mic from radioshack that's a bit more robust than the one aker includes.

12w is plenty loud for me, even at sporting events. You can just about turn it up all the way with very little distortion.

Scouts didn't have a static burst like TKs, so a setup like icomm or ptt isn't really necessary.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have a 12w Aker that I keep in my pouch, and a headworn mic from radioshack that's a bit more robust than the one aker includes.

12w is plenty loud for me, even at sporting events. You can just about turn it up all the way with very little distortion.

Scouts didn't have a static burst like TKs, so a setup like icomm or ptt isn't really necessary.

great info thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend the VoiceBooster MR1506 10watt amp or the VoiceBooster MR1505 12watt amp. I put them in my punch. Either fits perfectly.

Go here to order. http://store.voicebooster.com/costume-products/

You can also get an iComm there but that is optional for scouts. If you contact through the website and give them your legion ID they you can get a discount code for 10% off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

About how long do the batteries last with the 12w unit?

I probably charge mine once every 4-6 weeks or so. Depends on how often I'm trooping, but as long as you remember to turn it off when you put it away, a charge should last several troops.

• 1 month later...

So do most of you use these just to "boost" your voice (so its not muffled by the helmet) as opposed to altering your voice?

Correct. It's amplification with the very slight natural distortion that comes with it. No static burst like TKs, or any alteration. To me, it adds to the "reality" of the costume. People always get a kick out of it.

• Like 1

I started off with an Aker 10w (a garrison mate has a bigger one, and it's way too loud). Since I have a Sandtrooper, I also use an ICOMM, which works great at adding the "click" when you speak.

For microphones, I used the headset that comes with the Aker for a few troops, but hated having to feed the microphone cord so that it remained hidden.

I bought a Memorex wireless setup, but found out on the first troop that if another trooper has one, neither of you can use it. I guess they run at identical frequencies, so all you could hear was a loud warbling coming from both of our speakers.

Another issue with the headset microphone was that the band would pop off my head whenever I put on or took off my bucket. I decided to go with a throat microphone. It worked great the first couple times I used it, but for some reason, it stopped working whenever I put my helmet on. Literally would work if I took off my bucket, but not while wearing it.

Finally, I picked up a wireless trooper set up. I believe the sales thread is here on BSN. I absolutely love this thing! Only downside is occasionally it unpairs itself, but I haven't figured out if it's something I'm doing or not.

Well, I went looking for the sales thread for the wireless trooper system. They had a facebook page, as well. The FB page is down, so I checked FISD. Over there, they say the guy no longer "makes" them. Also, and this is VERY relevant, the exact same set up can be found on ebay for $20! Guess I paid $60 for the sticker they slapped on it. Feeling very, very foolish now.

• Like 1

Well, I went looking for the sales thread for the wireless trooper system. They had a facebook page, as well. The FB page is down, so I checked FISD. Over there, they say the guy no longer "makes" them. Also, and this is VERY relevant, the exact same set up can be found on ebay for $20! Guess I paid $60 for the sticker they slapped on it. Feeling very, very foolish now.

That's a bummer brother. I guess we all need to use a little "caveat emptor" before pulling the trigger which is sad as you would think if they're on the legion boards they have higher standards.

• 2 months later...

Hey Kevin,

Where about on ebay did you find it ? I am been searching.

They are available on both Ebay and Amazon. The Ebay one took about 2 weeks to arrive. The Amazon one arrived within a few days with Prime. I ended up getting a couple more. The original one I bought for $80 broke. I forgot to bring the little whip 3.5mm jack extension and plugged the receiver directly into my Amp. The amp, in my pouch, stuck up just high enough that when I closed the pouch the plug broke off. The ones I ordered from Ebay/Amazon do not come with the little whip, but you can find them on Amazon for like $4 for a 2-pack.

Amazon

Ebay

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any rules or regs concerning pick ups to aid in hearing? I'm a military bomb tech and have some hearing issues. (surprise!) I just want to stay inside the guidelines while doing my build. Thanks!

As long as it doesn't alter the exterior of the costume, there should be no issues adding internal "support systems". Shoot, I'd put a fountain pop machine in mine if there was room :)

• 4 weeks later...

As long as it doesn't alter the exterior of the costume, there should be no issues adding internal "support systems". Shoot, I'd put a fountain pop machine in mine if there was room :)

LMFAO!! On hot days, I would love this! :D

Hello all. Kind of new to the scout forums. I have a TK and am using Ukswrath's system which has the icomm and mic all set up. As I read this post, I'm a bit confused if the same system a TK would use would not be as accurate as a scout? Is there a problem with the static click that the icomm gives you or would the same system work for both helmets? Thanks!

The only issue is that Scouts didn't have a static burst in the movie so when folks inquire about icomm, I mention that fact and that a perfectly suitable mic/speaker can be had for less than the icomm.

No reason you couldn't use yours and it wouldn't hinder approval as sound systems aren't "vetted" in the approval process. Though it might be discouraged for a Lancer (level II) application.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Does the speaker need to be housed in the bucket? I'm a little leery of breaking apart the faceplate/snout for a speaker, and am wondering if it can ride in the flightsuit (still have chest pockets under the flak vest) or pouch?