Where do I even begin?!

Take88

I have been a fan of Star Wars ever since I was a kid. I would always dress and play with my toys for hours on end. I always wanted to join the 501st since I first heard about them and the Biker Scout was always my first choice. I work as a firefighter paramedic and thought i could continue to give back to the community outside of work through this association. I just have no clue where to start or how to even work on the get up. Where did you guys begin? What can i do to start up this adventure?

• Like 1

Hi Alex, maybe start at the top and work down....lol

Start looking around to see whats out there, who likes which helmet/armour, problems with certain "parts", who has a size that may or may not fit you.What you can get as kits or "ready to go" finished armour

And of course costs and time frame for delivery once you have payed up front.

and ask as many questions as you need to, alot have been there done it, made mistakes as we all do at times.

good luck with your Scout Build

cheers

• Like 1

Hi Alex! Welcome to BS.N!

My advice to you is to first read, read, read. Absorb as much of this Scout stuff as you can until your eyes bleed.

Secondly, stay away from ebay unless we tell you not to!

Third, just have fun and figure out what your budget is, if you want to build any of the parts yourself (the soft bits, boots, etc...) and which armour you'd prefer to purchase.

• Like 2

Welcome to Bikerscout.net! Honestly, research. Take a look at the forum, at the work in progress threads from other members, and learn about the various parts, pieces, and vendors/members who offer what you need.

One great resource, which you haven't mentioned (and none of the responses did either), is your local garrison!

You will find perhaps the greatest resource available: Someone to help in person.

Since it appears you live in Las Vegas, you fall under the Neon City Garrison

• Like 2

Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place for assistance. A mentioned earlier some good guidelines to surviving out there...

don't buy anything off eBay unless you've asked around and the results are positive... read up! lots of great information here, search button is your friend... and go ahead and start up a W.I.P thread where you can start asking questions and updating us on your progress :)

Welcome, Alex. Six months ago I was in the same boat as you. A Scout costume looked like a good idea. What next?

Getting started is easy. Reading. Lots of reading!

I spent the first three weeks reading the guides and build threads here to get an overall view of what was involved and the costs. I had a few specific questions about the helmet (I wear glasses) that I was able to resolve, plus trying to narrow down which armour and helmet to go for.

In the middle of this, I met up with Garrison Titan in Seattle as they happened to have a meet-the-troop night whilst I was in the area on vacation. They were a friendly welcoming bunch of people, and although no scout armour was present for a view, there was lots of good advice on costumes in general. Plus it reinforced my view that the 501st were a group I'd get along with.

Back home, Pandatrooper's guide was incredibly helpful, but in a few places I found other ways of doing things that worked better for me, or I was able to do with the tools I had. For example, I wasn't going to have the time or tools to make the armour and helmet, so went with a pre-assembled helmet, and SC armour. I was willing to give the soft armour a go, though.

I'd used a sewing machine once at school before starting on this project. I bought one as I have a couple of other (less fun) projects to use it on. It took a lot of patience and a few false starts, but pretty much everything came together on the first try. Again, there are lots of guides on youtube on how to sew things.

Plus, there is a lot of experience from the folk here - I asked plenty of questions once I'd been unable to find an answer already in the forum.

You will find your Google-Fu improves, even if your aim and tree-dodging abilities don't.

Good luck!

Hi Alex and welcome. I'll be honest, I ordered my armor then while I waited on my big brown box I studied hard. I came here and read everything I could find and asked questions. I watched build videos on YouTube and alot of rotj and would pause the movie to study details I was in question about. One scene helped alot on the boots. I also asked garrison friends for resources and links for parts, material and help. The only things I didn't do myself was the bund and vest, a friend made them for me. We have a great group of people here and they will be happy to help. Be sure to post pics of your build.

And ask alot of questions....they are free buying first and asking if this will be ok for approval gets depressing and expensive. Its always best to spend time looking through other guys wip and see if they answer any questions you might have. The guys and girls here will be your best advice to making your armor a enjoyable build.....and have fun doing it because when you get it all done and approved you will be in another world when you see the looks on the public when they see and ask for pics

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to BSN Alex! Just want to emphasise the importance of researching where to get things. I rushed mine and ended up having to fix a lot of things, so take it slow and make sure you picked the right maker! I've ordered both assembled armor and kit, personally speaking based on my experience i would suggest you getting a kit and assemble it yourself. It was more fun and you can make it fit yourself better. Feel free to message me if you have questions :)

• 3 months later...

I have been a fan of Star Wars ever since I was a kid. I would always dress and play with my toys for hours on end. I always wanted to join the 501st since I first heard about them and the Biker Scout was always my first choice. I work as a firefighter paramedic and thought i could continue to give back to the community outside of work through this association. I just have no clue where to start or how to even work on the get up. Where did you guys begin? What can i do to start up this adventure?

Dude, you sound just like me! Firefighter/EMT as well, thought this route was an awesome way to combine my love for Star Wars and have another way to stay active in my community.