Keeping Cool

Hi all! Rather new here, and I've got a few questions about using fans in the helmet to keep cool.

Are they worth it? What's a good fan to use if so?

What are some good ways to mount it?

Finally, does the airflow mess with mic usage and make your voice sound bad?

I don't have fans in my Scout. I also don't use a mic for it. People hear me pretty well with out a mic. The open ear holes help with air getting in and I am sure fans would help a bit. I did switch to an Under Armour balaclava and that made a big difference in how my head felt after a few hours. I have worn it for 5-6 hours outside in 85-90 heat and , while a bit sweaty, never had an issue.

• Like 2

I live in Texas, where it can be 103 in the shade. I only have the ear holes, no fans (or an amp). BUT, I also use the Coolskin balaclava from Schampa. No problems on this end! :)

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/115-026

• Like 1

Many thanks to y'all for your help. I figured an internal fan would be a little overzealous, but thought I'd ask anyway.

If anyone else reading this has sobering to contribute about fans, please do!

Grif, did you have to make the earholes yourself? If so, how did you do so without compromising the helmet? I imagine some gentle carving and smoothing?

If these questions are tedious, I apologize.

Many thanks to y'all for your help. I figured an internal fan would be a little overzealous, but thought I'd ask anyway. If anyone else reading this has sobering to contribute about fans, please do! Grif, did you have to make the earholes yourself? If so, how did you do so without compromising the helmet? I imagine some gentle carving and smoothing? If these questions are tedious, I apologize.

I have done it with other helmets like my SC. But, I'm a proud owner of an Altmann's scout helmet too. Spike cuts the ear holes for them. Most excellent indeed!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have an Altmans with a 3D printer fan in the snout - keeps the visor clear and cools my face. I'll add a second once summer arrives.

It's very quite, even after moving from a 6V set up with AA batteries to the 9V.

Not expensive, and plenty of room in the helmet for the battery pack (9V switched holder) in the bulge at the bottem of thh helmet.

I do need to work out the best way of working it with the mic I just bought - the mic does pick up the fan noise. I think I just need to play with the locations. I've tried a throat mic but can't get it to work at all for me.

I use a fan. I got a MonCal hollow snout, drilled it out and then drilled out the faceplate where it mounts. I stuck a ducted/squirrel fan there and it blows up towards my lens. It's not too noisy and it's great for when it's warm outside.

No fan here. It does get warm, between the vest, bund, flightsuit and whatever you have on underneath, but the ear holes do give a fair amount of air flow, and we can always sneak away and flip up the faceplate :)

I do have an issue with - I guess it would be condensation - here during Michigan winters where my warm breath collects as droplets on the faceplate. Not much to do about that except cover my mouth with my balaclava which I hate doing, so I just deal with it and wipe out my bucket after I troop.

I have a fan and a mic setup in mine.

I use a fan in the snout pointing up towards my lens. I switched to a throat mic so there is no breathing / fan issues with it. Best advice would be trial and error on weekends you're not trooping.

best of luck!