first armor set questions

alexmorris21

So, I have read quite a few posts concerning armor and it seems like the general consensus is to go with SC armor and a KS helmet. I'm 5`10 barefoot and 255 lbs. that being said, will the SC armor properly cover a bigger guy? I don't want to be getting any funny looks lol. I also haven't looked at prices or wait times, and while I don't want to wait a long time or spend a lot of money, I want something accurate and worth my time and money. I also want a helmet that is weighty so it feels real. I don't want it to be loose either. I keep short hair and I wear contacts so I believe a smaller helmet may be better for me but I just wanted to run it by the experts. My last question may be out of place, but, are scouts limited to the scout pistol or could we carry a bigger weapon like a sniper rifle? I loved the Battlefront game and the scout trooper was always a sniper so every time I see a scout I think of a sniper now. If there are any other vendors out there worth looking at please share the info. I want to make an informed purchase when its all said and done. Thanks!

I am 5'11 and 205 and wear SC fine. Make sure your bund/pouches are sized correctly though. My pouches aren't tall/long enough for my torso. I wouldn't buy a KS soley based on people's poor experiences here. I like to spend my $ on vendors who are active here, provide excellent customer service and actually care about the product they put out. I have an SC helmet and an Altmanns. Both are very nice and I tend to wear my Altmanns now . The SC is a bit smaller/lighter though and I have a gap in my lense on that one which lets it breathe a bit more so minimal fogging

• Like 1

I saw a thread that had the email addres cathy@gmail.com in it saying they did custom cummerbunds so thats probably who i would go with for that, but if im not mistaken I think i saw that SC armor includes the soft parts as well. if so, ill probably go with SC. as for the helmet, SC charges 200 bucks extra for the helmet if you get their armor kit and 244 bucks if you get just the helmet. KS helmet kits are 170 bucks so thats why i was considering them. I didnt realize they had poor customer feedback here though. I'm all about buying from the people that care most about the community and so far, from what I have seen, SC seems to hold the best customer service. going back to the helmet though, I have heard that SC helmets run smaller and I'm afraid that it will look small when I'm in costume and also be too small for my head in general. How did you get the gap in your helmet? did you just add it during your build or is there a thread explaining how to do it in an accurate way?

The SC does not come with soft parts unfortunately. The KS stuff is just my opinion and there are people here who do like them. I would encourage you to read a few builds and look at their pictures/experience to help make your decision. A lot of " what's good/bad" conversations come down to personal levels of taste/accuracy/budget and what your end goal is. Random people , not involved in the hobby, will find either one to be fine and like your costume.

As far as my gap - I just bent the lense material in a way it doesn't contact the faceplate completely in all areas. I only tacked it down in a couple spots. In my mind it lets it breath better. I don't have Fogging issues in the summer/warm weather with my SC nor my Altmanns ( which is tightly sealed). I did wear my Altmanns in the cold to see TFA and it fogged up right away. Not the fault of the helmet, I just need to get fans or put something called " cat crap" on it.

Oh ok, Ive been reading so much stuff its hard to keep up with it all at first. I'm planning to wear my costume to random places to see what kind of reactions I would get lol!

I may try to see if I can rig up something like that for my lense as well. I have to ask, what exactly is "cat crap"? lol

Cat crap is a brand of anti fog material you would put on the lense to keep it clear. In reading about it it gets mixed reviews. I am hoping to try some different online methods today since it is 20 degrees here and Should fog up as soon as I walk outside lol. A lot of posts say dish soap works just fine

• Like 1

Cat crap is a brand of anti fog material you would put on the lense to keep it clear. In reading about it it gets mixed reviews. I am hoping to try some different online methods today since it is 20 degrees here and Should fog up as soon as I walk outside lol. A lot of posts say dish soap works just fine

Yep, dish soap (Dawn in my case) works great!

• 1 month later...

I tried the dish soap thing in my Fett and Scout a couple weekends ago. When I wore the scout the TFA premier it fogged up immediately in the parking lot and it was pretty cold out. I wore it to Katsucon where they evacuated everyone out into the streets for over an hour due to a fire alarm going off - it was prob 20some degrees - and I had put the Dawn dish soap all over the lense that morning and it did not fog. No fogging in my Fett either at any point. I was pretty happy with the results since fogging is annoying.

• Like 1

I am 5 10, 230, and the SC armor fits just fine. Its the soft parts that you will need to be worried about fit. Esp the cumberbund.

I can understand that! I have decided to go with the Snow Commander as my first build though. Now I don't have to worry about the cummerbund at all! hahaha.

I tried the dish soap thing in my Fett and Scout a couple weekends ago. When I wore the scout the TFA premier it fogged up immediately in the parking lot and it was pretty cold out. I wore it to Katsucon where they evacuated everyone out into the streets for over an hour due to a fire alarm going off - it was prob 20some degrees - and I had put the Dawn dish soap all over the lense that morning and it did not fog. No fogging in my Fett either at any point. I was pretty happy with the results since fogging is annoying.

Thats good to know, I will try to remember to do this. How did you apply it? just wash the lens in the soap or did you rub the soap into the lens and let it dry?

I basically squirted some on my fingers and wiped it on and just let it dry. One of the helmets was all streaky after that so I took a damp towel and wiped the streaks away and it was fine. I also had a pair of goggle like things for my Resident Evil costume which ALWAYS fog up and they were ok as well. Pretty simple yet very effective fix it seems. I used Dawn - forget it of it was blue or green as I have both out

I basically squirted some on my fingers and wiped it on and just let it dry. One of the helmets was all streaky after that so I took a damp towel and wiped the streaks away and it was fine. I also had a pair of goggle like things for my Resident Evil costume which ALWAYS fog up and they were ok as well. Pretty simple yet very effective fix it seems. I used Dawn - forget it of it was blue or green as I have both out

Oh ok, sounds simple enough. Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...

Never heard of using dish soap, I will have to give it a try. We used to just spit in our snorkle masks, lol.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was taught liquid Joy for my scuba mask.... since that stuff seems harder to find these days its good to know dawn works too... Thanks

p.s. cat crap is just that ...crap and never worked when I used it.