Original Sierra style soles

01Hawk

I should have put more work into this since Moldstar isn't cheap. Made somewhat of a mold of the sole. Had to change plans halfway thru when I ran out of material - initially I had the sole elevated using a small cup. I didn't have enough material left so I pulled the cup out halfway thru my pour and set the boot back down. This resulted in air pockets and a spot that is torn thru in the base. I will fix that with clay or tape or something.

I am going to cast a full sole out of Task 16 from smoothon just to see how it goes. Then my real goal is to try and section off the heel and make a wall around it to make a kind of thin skin of just the ribbed area. With that piece of I can attach it to my boot heel with super glue /magnets/ magic maybe I will have replica soles. Or maybe I just wasted $100 in mold/casting material ... Who knows. Will pour one today and see what happens.

E942A14D-5BA8-47CD-9220-706EDFAF3A04.jpg

In my mind if I was able to cast a skin to go around the existing boot heel with maybe metal powder in it ( if they make such a thing - or even a thin magnetic plate) I could drill rare earth magnets and epoxy them into the sole of a regular boot and then put the cast sole skin on it. The material I am casting in is semi flexible and very durable.

Maybe it will work , maybe it won't. I don't see why it wouldn't if it is slightly above the bottom of the real sole - unless a rock wedged in it or something and ripped it off. The Task 16 is durable enough that I could make a complete heel cap as well I think.

I made the horizontal line with some clay real fast. If/when I make a new mold to make an actual part I will do a better job sculpting the line to the correct width/height. Turned out pretty nice for something I did in 20 minutes

D43F20FC-D1F1-4783-BBE0-4C13C86E474A.jpg

• Like 1

Made a quick " cap " type piece to wrap around the heel. I would need to thin out the back a bit to get it around my boot heel ( timberlands). Or I could notch the heel of my boots. I really like the idea of making a full heel for them but am not sure if it can be safely done. Next thought is to buy boots at the Goodwill store, cut the heel of and epoxy and maybe even sheet metal screw my replacement heel on and take a walk.

May never work but was worth a try I think. Lower right corner is a full heel. DD5E87E5-7054-4DE0-899E-D6FCEC2EB46B.jpg

• Like 1

After putting some screws into the heel I made, I am confident that , coupled with a certain glue , I could put 4 screws ( flat head ) with washers thru the bottom of the boot and hold a replacement heel in place. I would first cut the existing heel off flush with the rubber that makes up the arch of the boot. Inside the boot I am going to put a thin metal plate to keep the screws from coming up into my foot of this fails. On top of that I will put insoles in the boots for comfort. 248CBE41-6E4B-4141-A53F-644F012A727E.jpg

• Like 2

That would be a good boot to try it on. The heel is close to my Timberlands but a bit taller. I would have to play around with the fit /angle. I may grab a pair of Kmart/target boots to play with since the soles would have to be painted anyway. I can cast the heel in tan - would have to play with the brown/yellow/white tints a few times but it can be done. The natural color for the material I am using is a custard color so it isn't like black would be showing through.

7268B5ED-004E-498F-BDB2-E02AC2AED020.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Unfortunatly not right now. I had been spending most of my time building a BoBa Fett which is almost done. I will be picking up making molds and casting stuff soon. I need to make molds for a bunch of Fett parts and start casting this other pistol to sell. It is easier to do a bunch of projects at once so I waste the least amount of material.

• 4 months later...