1st timer in need of helmet selection

So I am looking to get a helmet for 501st approval, and I am going with prebuilt.

1. I am leaning towards KS, as they seem available. Besides SC, Is there any place else that has a quality helmet readily available?

2. Which helmet requires the least modification for approval?

thanks !

I don't have a KS, and while there are some positive reviews here , the negative experiences of many would keep me from ever doing business with them. I don't know that any available preassembled helmets are 501st ready. Maybe the prebuilt SC one is but I bought my SC and put it together upgrading the bolts and the decals with ones from Trooperbay. I'm not approved yet but I am pretty sure it would pass. I have since went with an Altmanns which I love. The SC is smaller and lighter but I have been using my Altmanns since I got it. There are other high quality helmets like LW ( which seems near impossible to get ) and I believe Chef makes one as well.

• Like 1

Guest Forrest Patrol

RS PropMasters helmet is very good, very expensive, long wait time. KS can pass basic clearance as it is, no mods (I think). Lots of good helmets out there, KS isn't the best, depends how much you want to spend really.

There are 0 "out-of-the-box" helmets (or armors) that are 501st approved. ALL vendor or fan-made helmets currently require little changes to be 501st approved. These include: snout, decals, bolt covers, etc.

• Like 3

I also believe that RS bucket will likely be out-of-the-box approved, if anyone ever gets one of those in the next century. When they are done, they'll be about as close as you can be to actual movie-set prop.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The Altmanns should only need stickers and bolts I think to be approved. I have seen some approved helmets with the same style bolts at the Altmanns tho. Always best to ask the person in charge of approving you tho.

There are 0 "out-of-the-box" helmets (or armors) that are 501st approved. ALL vendor or fan-made helmets currently require little changes to be 501st approved. These include: snout, decals, bolt covers, etc.

Not true for Chef's helmet, which comes with all the parts you need and none of them have to be junked or replaced with parts from another source. It just takes a little effort and care to assemble, but an excellent helmet at the end of it.

where does one get the decals and 3m covers for approval? How hard are they to change out?

The decals can be found at Trooperbay.com. The 3M bolt covers are tricky and be sure you get the grey version and NOT the black version. Check out this thread: http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=10270&hl=&fromsearch=1

You can also find the bolts and headgear at most welding supply shops.

Not in Texas! You'll find the black version, with the grey part #! But, Lonewolf also makes a really nice 3m look-a-like. I picked a few up a while back and they are really nice.

So if they are now light grey, does that mean they are 501st approved, or lancer?(the decals I mean)... you said the buttons are easy to remove...so I am assuming you are saying they arent approved/lancer?

The bolt covers are fine for basic approval, but would need to be swapped out for Lancer. The nose and forehead decals were/are just a bit too dark. If the decals are closer to the lighter grey color, they should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

just purchased an SC helmet. I have had positive experiences with them and their Rebel Fleet Trooper helmet. Hoping to have the same experience. Armor from them seems a bit expensive, but I've just started researching.

just purchased an SC helmet. I have had positive experiences with them and their Rebel Fleet Trooper helmet. Hoping to have the same experience. Armor from them seems a bit expensive, but I've just started researching.

Personally, I'd go KS on lid, SC on armor. Their armor is priced nicely, it comes quick, instructions are clear, and almost everything you need is in the box

• Like 1

Yeah it's been almost 3 years since I bought my KS helmet and I would recommend waiting till he posts that he has new molds.

For bolt covers, just go to Lowe's and get 1" elevator bolts. They're easy to use instead of the bolts that come with your kit. You will have to paint them, but you're painting the snout anyway, so you can be sure they're the same. I like Rustoleum Winter Grey for the color. Stay away from Krylon classic grey because it is very different from can to can and even with the same can it can be a different shade of grey when you are running low than it was when you first spray.

• Like 3

The KS armor/lids seem to have a new "color" issue (along with crinkles in the mold).

The KS armor has issues beyond just the color, but what exactly is the color problem?

I guess I'm the only one who is totally satisfied by my KS lid. I've compared it to the SC, MLC and Altmann's and it holds its own pretty well after a few mods.