501st approved?

TB94633

I found a scout helmet on a website and I was wondering if any of you would think that this would be approved for the 501st based on the pictures?

This is the site: https://www.etsy.com/se-en/listing/154273406/star-wars-biker-scout-helmet-full-size?ref=related-0

Guest Forrest Patrol

Its a New Image helmet, it has two dents on the back that are fused together. This is the only problem with it from what I know.

Guest Forrest Patrol

I'm not sure if its approved or not, but don't buy it unless a senior member says its okay. You don't want to spend that much money on it and then find out that you need another helmet.

• Like 1

Its a New Image helmet, it has two dents on the back that are fused together. This is the only problem with it from what I know.

That's not necessarily a problem - there are some in the movie which were like that.

• Like 1

Remember: "Approved" is the wrong way to think of it. "Approvable" would be a better way to put it. No Maker is approved, endorsed or otherwise by the Legion.

Yes, the NI is approvable - as in it wouldn't jam up the overall approval of your entire cosutme's fit and finish.

The KS is "approvable" - but needs modification to really push it over the top.

That being said, I'm more and more intrigued by the NI the more i look at it. It's a really nice looking fiberglass lid.

KS is a good bucket, and can be approved as is, but really needs some modification. Snout greeblie, decals, bolt covers.

It's a solid option, fairly easy to get ahold of. The general consensus is that it's not really worth it to pay to have them build it for you. the kit is decently priced and there are lots of build threads in the helmet forum that will show you tips and tricks, do's and don'ts...

I'm not trying to steer you away from the NI. It looks like a nice lid. Honestly, the KS needs more tweaking right away.

My thoughts:

NI - fiberglass. heavier, more robust. correct snout detail and (possibly) bolts. I don't like the way the visor joins the faceplate (nit-picking). Pricey

KS - abs. lighter. needs at minimum snout detail replaced. Kit form is relatively cheap, but work. Assembled form isn't put together particularly well and pricey.

The Altmann is a great bucket, but will still need modifying to some degree. Decals and bolt covers at a minimum. I have one and love it. Talk to Spike here on BSN if you're interested in going that route. I can't personslly say yeah or nea on the NI, but the horror stories I've heard about KS through the years kept me steered clear of them.

• Like 1

And if someone is selling an altman bucket? I bet i should take that one before anything else? (sorry for the big Altman picture)altmann_lid_2015_zpskv8q5zv8.jpg

There is an original Altemans for sale right now on the main forum. $500 #89 in the original run.

• 4 months later...