Retrofire's Boot Build

Thanks Tom! Had a lot of other Pathfinders helping me though this process. They give you the confidence that you can do it!

What kind of shape do you do for the toe? Did you just make a paper template and then go from that? Boot tutorial was a bit unclear on this also. Don't want to leave it too short so the dogbone won't cover.

Yeah the paper template is the best way to go since it will give you best measurement for the boots you're using. As mentioned in the tutorial it looks a bit funky but it works and you'll have a lot more confidence putting the knife to the vinyl.

Toe pieces in progress. Of course I get to my second stretch iteration and a thunderstorm decides to move through :wacko:. I borrowed a sewing machine from my mother in law for the calf and dogbone so I'm starting to practice on scrap pieces.

0829151539a_zpszvlcyjvl.jpg

So in the course of trimming my Lancer soles I wacked myself pretty good with an X-Acto. So in order to help with the completion I've asked Chrisx909x to help with sewing the vinyl tops for me and I'll finish the assembly myself after my hand heals a little bit. I'll be replacing one of the toes since it *ahem* got a little stained. Now I know what it means to "bleed" for my armor. At least it was the vinyl and not my hard armor! All is well and more to come with this thread with the toe assembly completion.

Yow!

Glad it wasn't anything major, buddy. The Blade of eXact Zero is nothing to trifle with!

Seriously though, ouch. I think everybody's got a couple boot boo boos.

Glad I'm not alone. No, it was not big deal just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and it bit me. It doesn't hurt as much as I feel like a doofus for not paying attention like I had been on all the other cuts. It'll heal and I'll finish these boots if I have to run into a tree to do it! Thanks brothers!

• Like 2

Guest Forrest Patrol

TB#1-"Watch out!"

TB#2-"What is it? More of those ewoks?!"

TB#1-"No! Its Retrofire! And he's using an exacto knife!!!"

Both TBs-"AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Both accelerate and purposely crash into trees.

Be careful, always cut away from yourself, that way if you slip up you're less likely to injure yourself (or anyone else hopefully).

• Like 2

Lesson learned Forrest....the hard way. Thankfully I'm smart enough to keep away from everyone when I'm cutting the soles. I just dorked it and did one of those things where your brain says "this probably isn't a good idea" and got bit. Thanks for the scene it made me laugh....at myself :lol:

Guest Forrest Patrol

I was having a cup of tea while doing some ironing one day and for some reason I reached for the iron and almost put it to my face!

And then after I've ironed the wrinkles out of my face, I'd probably pour the tea all over my shirt!

image_zpsvigyi1s9.png

I slathered it all over the toe top, front and sides. The whole upper is going to be covered so it's not too big a deal. If you're using E6000, remember to put it on the boot and the vinyl and let it tack up like rubber cement.

Thanks for answering this Stasz! Sorry about not getting an answer out sooner I am on vacation in Orlando, FL with my wife and boys (no not Disneyworld:) taking a little time away from the deserts of New Mexico. I expect to have a full mailbox though when I get home with all sorts of goodies to move forward on my build.

I checked the sizing and it complies with the width measurement. Thanks Chef and hope your move goes swimmingly!

Buddy, you enjoy your family! We'll hold this bunker till you arrive ;)

Thanks Stasz! We just had a blast today! I have great respect for those who troop in this climate! There's no where you can hide from the wet. I tip my bucket to the troopers of the East Coast garrisons!

• Like 1

I've had a good time here in the Florida Garrison's AO. My son got to meet Lord Vader at Legoland:
0910151618_zpsbuebyz3i.jpg

and I saw a group of our fellow scouts chasing some Rebel scum:

0910151619a_zpscyqnow4v.jpg

I'm heading home tomorrow to the Dewback Ridge Garrison in New Mexico but we made all sorts of memories here in Florida. Not looking forward to catching the Southwest Transport to leave this system but duty calls.....and I have armor to build
:bikerscout:
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Greetings Troopers! Just wanted to let you all know that I'm still around and working, rather slowly, on my build. I'm moving my family to Arizona in the coming year so I haven't been as active as I would like to be. Boots are still just about done and I have my bund and other sundry items for my build. Dune Sea Garrison here I come! Best to you all and the best of holidays with you and your families!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks! I'm just getting them finished up with the dogbones. I'll post some pics when I get them all done.

• 1 month later...

Boots are finally completed! What say you my fellow pathfinders do they pass inspection?

0217161220_HDR_zpsffzrgpwp.jpg

0217161221_HDR_zpswonlfz4x.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dig up an older thread. I went to Legoland in Florida back in Oct 2014 and those full sized lego figures of our beloved leader and Darth Maul were "impressive, very impressive".