Retrofire's Boot Build

Time to start my boots! I've been through many of the threads, and the boot tutorial, and I would like to see if what I have looks good before I start to cut. These are size 10.5 boots from K Mart. Appreciate any constructive criticism to make sure I'm doing this right. Thanks!

0822152249d_zpssuknftlx.jpg

0822152249c_zpshyxwwurn.jpg

0822152249b_zpsczin6nu1.jpg

0822152249a_zpsmml2ir44.jpg

0822152249_zps1r1rcw1v.jpg

0822152248_zpsfqbydquk.jpg

• Like 1

And I see you yanked the laces. If you do use laces, get flat sneaker type laces. They'll be more discreet under the vinyl.

I left the regular round laces in, but can still slip my boots on and off without screwing with the laces. They're just tight enough...

Awesome, thanks for the input Stasz! I have to give a shout-out to Wookievader's earlier thread on these boots! I agree in regards to the laces. I'm going to pull them and replace with tennis shoe laces and remove the four speed laces at the top of each boot. Now I just have to get through all these cuts without a visit to the ER for stitches ;) so time to go slow and steady. Thanks again for the input!

Hi Phillip. I got about a yard of material. The lady gave me about a quarter yard more because it was at the end of the bolt. Most of the boot posts I read mentioned that a yard is about right. The boot tutorial has a basic template for a size 10 so you may want to use that as the basis for what you're going to need and don't forget the dog bone. I hope that helps. Best to you!

-Peter

You do want to be careful with the upper part of the boots using the template. Not everyone has the same calf size and distance from calf to knee can vary as well. Make a test template out of paper and see how that will fit on you while wearing the boot itself and your knee armor before cutting the material

Good point Howard. Thanks for the reminder. The template works for me but it's good to point out the wisdom of making sure you do your measurements right. If I remember correctly there's a knee armor template in WookieVader's build thread. Thanks again!

-Peter

Progress being made on boot#1. Can't emphasize enough taking it slow nothing worse than slipping up with an X-Acto knife :o . I'm happy with the results so now to finish the cuts on the back side of the boot. It seems that it's all about finding a method that works and sticking with it.

Boot1_zpsf5wh4otp.jpg

Boot2_zpsrgzvvr8n.jpg

To all those building your own set just want to reiterate taking it slow. I'm on my second boot and I broke 2 #11 chisel tips. The second one got stuck in the boot and I had to pull it out with needle-nose pliers which was a royal pain in the tushie. Going slow and not twisting the knife are two things I've learned so far. Next is the vinyl So stay tuned...same scout time....same scout channel.

Been there, done that, still on the wait list for the T-shirt. :)

I used the same boots, and for those attempting this, try to do a better job than I did on the wide section on the arches. I left obvious blade marks on mine since it was kinda hard to hit the exact angle and depth as the adjacent cut. I'm on hold while I consider the options to remove those lines.

You're getting a T-Shirt?!?!?! I want one :lol:

Heck, we should get Lancer just for dealing with the boot cuts alone. I haven't tackled how I'm going to do that series of cuts yet. I might PM WookieVader to see how he did his. He has the same boots too. I think Bobik96 ended up repairing his boots with ShooGoo maybe you could PM him and see how he did it? Just a thought.

-Peter

Killer, bud! I used the same boots.

Your sole cut layout looks great.

This is what I ended up with:

20150222_185537.jpg

Hey Stasz. Did you cut the section on the arch between the heel and the front part of the sole or did you just square off the heel? Does my description make sense?

I think you're talking about this area?

IMG_20150827_211635.jpg

If that's it, I just left it how the original sole was.

I learned a lot making this first pair, and have enough material left over to do another, so I'm gonna make a new pair soon and tweak a few things. Squaring up the front of the heel will be one of those things.

I cut that section out on mine Peter. Your boots look great! The only thing I would have done differently is to leave a little bit of a line at the top of the soles all the way around. The detail you're talking about on the top of arch transition carries around the whole sole.

Been there, done that, still on the wait list for the T-shirt. :)

I used the same boots, and for those attempting this, try to do a better job than I did on the wide section on the arches. I left obvious blade marks on mine since it was kinda hard to hit the exact angle and depth as the adjacent cut. I'm on hold while I consider the options to remove those lines.

I used a dremel with a sanding drum on mine to remove the knife marks....low speed

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

John/Barry thanks so much for the input. I think I'll just leave it as it is until I go for a new pair. Based on the CRL it will pass basic approval. I did square up the heel as much as I could with out going too deep. I think next time I'll go with your idea Eric and get something like an end router bit for my rototool and do it that way. Using the X-Acto does the job but add a little bit more risk of damaging the boot (or yourself). Everything so far has been a learning process and one thing I've learned is that this costume is WAY more complicated then I originally gave it credit for. It's great though because I am learning so much and my next iteration will only get better. Thanks again for the input and more importantly for the encouragement it really is much appreciated!

-Peter

Tonight I drilled out the rivets on the speed laces and removed them and then installed the tennis shoes laces. I'm adding a spring loaded holder to the lace so I won't have to tie them just put them on and draw down the holder.

IMG_20150828_231055_zpswwer5i1l.jpg

One other thing I did before moving on to the vinyl is to stuff some packing paper in the toe of the boot to make sure it keeps its form as I'm pulling and stretching the vinyl over it. I plan to start stretching the vinyl tomorrow so more pictures then. I'm going to continue to work on the boot treads and clean the them up with sand paper and remove the pencil lines with rubbing alcohol. It's neat to see it coming together as I never would have thought I could do something like this. I guess it's all a matter of just doing it and seeing how it turns out. If I can do it anybody can! :duim:

• Like 3

Tonight I drilled out the rivets on the speed laces and removed them and then installed the tennis shoes laces. I'm adding a spring loaded holder to the lace so I won't have to tie them just put them on and draw down the holder.

IMG_20150828_231055_zpswwer5i1l.jpg

One other thing I did before moving on to the vinyl is to stuff some packing paper in the toe of the boot to make sure it keeps its form as I'm pulling and stretching the vinyl over it. I plan to start stretching the vinyl tomorrow so more pictures then. I'm going to continue to work on the boot treads and clean the them up with sand paper and remove the pencil lines with rubbing alcohol. It's neat to see it coming together as I never would have thought I could do something like this. I guess it's all a matter of just doing it and seeing how it turns out. If I can do it anybody can! :duim:

Very nicely cut sole Retrofire :duim: