Nose Trim Painting Tips

Hi guys,

I could do with some tips on how to get the black nose trim painted without it looking like it's been done like a drunken 4 year old. I've had a look on numerous threads but haven't found anything more detailed that 'paint it' or 'use decals'.

I'm not sure I'm steady enough with a brush to paint it all by hand, so I tried using masking tape and black spray paint for the vertical lines. Unfortunately when I peeled the tape off the paint seems to have bled under the edges.

20150802_175000_zpst1jyoear.jpg

I've also got no idea how I'm going to make the central arch look smooth enough, so any tips will be gratefully received!

use automotive grade masking tape, dont paint to thick and wait for the paint to dry, also press the tape down a few times before painting, best tape is the one used for pin stripeing ;)

an airbrush is ideal

Another thing i had trouble with. The tape I bought didn't stick well after paint. I used model paint and I will admit that the job was passable but not good. Steady hand was my problem. I eventually fixed it without tape but same paint and a better brush. I just took it really slow and it came out great! And now I'm less self conscious about close ups of my bucket

As mentioned above, masking and the right tape make all the difference. For the top rounded part, you can use a 1oz shot glass as a template for your masking tape. That worked well for my lids...

• Like 2