Modding Nerf guns?

Guest Forrest Patrol

If you are allowed to use this when modified then go for it! Luckily for me, our commander would rather have his squad carrying rifles than peashooters (no offence 501st)

YES!! Finally something I can post about since I've got some experience in the field..

Here's a gallery of work I've done..

https://www.flickr.com/gp/57785272@N00/U48jhJ

My first was a Nerf Firefly.. Really a neat looking weapon..

Did logo removal with a dremel tool and a cutting disc (what I had on hand..).. Used it flat-edge like a sander to eradicate the N-Strike logos..

Then, disassembly, paint (I believe Krylon ultimate, Satin black) and dry-brush with hammertite silver (basically, sprayed it into a plastic bottlecap so it collected, and then used a bristle brush to paint weathering on the blaster)..

Next, I did the Alpha Trooper.. Refined my technique a bit.. Got a bit overzealous on the silver, but.. Whaddyagonnado?

And, the last and most ambitious was the Powerstrike 48.. That's a biiiig weapon and I went nuts with the weathering.. lots of chunks taken out of it, corners ground flat as if it'd been dragged a bit or run into concrete while at high speed.. I gotta get that trigger assembly back in it..

Modding nerf stuff is really easy! I'm a firm believer that if I can do it, anyone can.. I suck at artistic stuff, I don't visualize (at all.. I'm imagination blind, they say), but even I got some decent results with some paint and a few cheap brushes.. Hopefully that link comes through okay.. Not quite sure how to upload the photos to the post directly.. Also in there is a professional shot taken at X-Sanguine 2008, a post-apocalyptic themed event.. I went for the Main Force Patrol (Mad Max, the original movie) updated to the 2050s.. :)

• 2 months later...

On a whim, I grabbed the Modulus and the Long Range mod kit. First up, this thing can get massive (see pictures for all the parts laid out on a 1x1" grid cutting mat)! But I think there's a lot of potential to make something fun here. A few observations:

-The Long Range stock doesn't collapse

-There are five mounting rails, so you can add cr*p all over the place (see picture for one example)

-The mag can be stored in the Long Range stock, making for a sort of bullpup-like appearance

-The basic muzzle extension has two additional mounting rails, and you can add the Long Range muzzle onto the front of the basic extension. That puts the whole beast at about 36" with just this addon kit. Crazy.

Pics here:

20151118_151052_zpswblujcsa.jpg

20151118_150357_zpsuqx3h8jx.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The stock was trimmed a bit and then attached. The barrel and mag are functional and separate so I painted it in 3 pieces. It shoots darts pretty good but have seen some spring mods to make it better. Then, I added a Tasco scope and a strap. It was one of my first blasters from when I joined up in 2011.

I love it, and went looking for one on kijiji a few weeks ago. Checked yesterday and there one was for 20$. So grabbed it and bought a cheaply scope from eBay. Gonna work em together :) thanks for the inspiration

• Like 1

I love it, and went looking for one on kijiji a few weeks ago. Checked yesterday and there one was for 20$. So grabbed it and bought a cheaply scope from eBay. Gonna work em together :) thanks for the inspiration

Glad you dig it. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After reading this topic and seeing what you guys did with nerf guns I went through my kid's toy box and they have everyone of these guns including the scout carbine. My wife asked me what I was doing when she seen my hiding them in our closet my response was..." They are teenagers now they don't play with them anymore."

• 2 months later...

I've been following this thread for a while, so decided to give it a go. Found a cheap Nerf knock-off that was 40% off, so bought it and used putty to fill in the screw holes and numbers.

CA77E4FC-DF57-4213-82B0-112395CA6E81_zpsngchyddl.jpg

5F186368-61C1-4E14-8B09-217D93D467BA_zpsllulsm1r.jpg

Gave it an overall coat of silver, then lightly sprayed again with black to give it a metallic tone.

C62FB105-4439-42F9-9114-8212BA556D68_zpsoeeuqllh.jpg

The scope is an Energiser flashlight with a light fitting screwed to the back of it. I painted the mag so it can still be used as nerf-type gun, but think it looks better as a SW weapon without it.

7E9EEB15-8B3C-437F-9DE2-B37D25DFFC9D_zpsnmnidbqd.jpg

68755517-F270-4966-B7B4-16FAFDB32091_zpsb9dmjwig.jpg

It's definitely not canon, but looks like a fair enough BFG for occasional trooping.

• 7 months later...

That's a great mod Shada! For those who might be interested in these mods Adam Savage of Mythbusters fame does a really neat treatment of a Nerf sniper rifle over on YouTube. Look under "Tested" to find the video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think I am going to pick this up today.To turn it into a carbine.I still have my real scope from my BB gun I may use.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=102477966&skuid=24460885

I am also going t grab this one so I can take the sound out and put it in my carbine.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=83311916&cp=&parentPage=search

Thoughts?

• Like 1