1st Helmet Purchasefor 501 approval/trooping

Where can I buy a MLC or NI helmet?

Enviado de meu LG-D855 usando Tapatalk

I sent you a PM about NI since we're not supposed to give names or web sites out on the public forum. As far as I know only one person here got a NI helmet and as I recall, it was a positive review, the helmet looks good.

I guess I asked for that one, Chef! I should have said which fanmade/reproduction helmet would you buy! Anyway, I saw an older thread where you had your own version of a biker scout helmet. Are you still producing it? If so, do you have pictures you could post?

I appreciate everybody's input on my helmet question! never imagined there would be so many variables to consider. Having said that, I am beginning to narrow down my search. I am going back and fourth between the Altmann and the MLCv3. I like the idea of a sturdier helmet like the MLCv3, but am concerned it may be too small for me. The Altmann seems very nice and is ready to wear right out of the box, but a little more expensive. I also recently saw some mention of the Chef helmet but haven't seen any photos of it yet. Hopefully, Chef can shed some light on this. Thanks, again to everyone for their advice!

Just got my Altmanns today and love it . If you need pics/measurements or whatever let me know . It is worth the $ - all I am changing on it is the lense,bolts and stickers since I am going to wear it

Howard,

Congrats! I'd love to see your Altmann. Please post your pics as soon as possible as well as your first impressions. How long did it take to arrive? Anything you don't like? Thanks!

Quick shot cause I have to go to a wedding soon. And don't mind the Texas Chainsaw massacre walls- old house doing plaster work. Altmanns is next to the speaker and SC is next to it. The Altmanns is plenty sturdy, is larger and looks awesome. Mine has the ears cut already and black inside. I am going to put trooperbay decals on it ( correct colors) and the correct bolts on as well. I like the lense in the SC better so I am going to replace that as well. It also needs padding on the inside to make it wearable /stable on your head. All those things aren't meant to be a slight to to the helmet - just what it needs to be a troopable/501st piece. Took a few weeks to get which was well worth it. Very happy with my purchase and would highly recommend it to anyone. That being said there is nothing wrong with an SC for the $ . Until I got this one I was very pleased with it and as a whole my SC Helmet/armor got tons of compliments from people at the show I went to last weekend.

It is easy to get wrapped up in 100% accuracy issues here- because that is what many stride for since it is our hobby. However when you wear it out, 98% of the world is going to love it regardless of wether it is 1mm too high or the shading is off a bit. While I stride to make mine look as best as I can all I care about is that it looks good, will pass basic 501st and people enjoy it when they see it. But that is just me.155FF3F2-7B4E-4740-AE3C-08A2677761F0.jpg

• Like 2

I love my Altmann helmet but I did make a bunch of minor alterations. Changing out the rounded bolts to the flat 3M ones required some cutting/sanding/gluing of the bolt holes in the helmet to make them fit. Also they were too short so I had to piece something together to hold the hard hat liner inside. The hard hat liner also required modifying in order to fit the helmet and my head. I also trimmed down the inside top edge of the visor a bit to decrease the rubbing when opening the visor up. I still need to open up the ears on mine -- they're painted on the surface currently -- if I want to go Lancer. I've only had it a few months and have been careful but a couple cracks have begun to appear in the thinner plastic edge on the bottom by the snout. Here's what my helmet looks like now with the modified bolts etc.

http://imgur.com/y4SGv4W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. and the pics: it looks great. I'm surprised by how big the SC looks next to it. From all I've heard the SC was the smallest lid around and the Altmann was supposed to be one of the biggest. I don't see much difference.

For my Altmann - I added the 3M bolt covers (trimmed w/flat heads), TB decals, and a hardhat liner. The ears are cutout. Everything looks fits and functions marvelous. It's #350 out of 500.

altmann_helmet2_zpsjxwt7stu.jpg

altmann_helmet1_zpsisdijpoy.jpg

The hard hat liner is a personal preference, but the screen used lids had them too. My hard hat liner went on very easily. I picked up the hard hat kit from Trooperbay, which includes the plastic bits required for mounting. Check out the vid below...

http://trooperbay.com/hard-hat-liner-install/

As for the 3M bolt covers, I just used a Dremmel to shave the posts off; basically making them a flat round disk. And then E6000 to attach them to a flat head screw. It keeps 'em flat...