Kinda annoyed actually...

matt8199

"MOD EDIT TO REMOVE INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE"

I already posted on here, but whatever I feel like ranting.

The whole point of buying my armor kit and paying EXTRA for them (KS) to assebmle it and make it properly was so that I didn't have to run around and do the little extra things myself.

Now I have to go run around and search for some black pin-striping along with some white material for the gap between the front and back armor pieces. Not to mention the "greeblies" on the TD.

What a bunch of rubbish for them to advertise like that and then not follow through 100 % exactly. I told them 501st approval needed, no questions asked. They had the ability to look up the standatrds and see the pieces they missed.

Now I probably won't get around to submitting new approval pics til sometime in July. What a bunch of rubbish.

I acyually don't really care, because the next troop I want to do isn't until the middle of September anyhow, so I'm in no rush. Just a little annoyed

ADVICE TO ALL SCOUT WANNABEES: #1: Make sure you REALLY wanna be a Scout because some of the standards are just plain ridiculous. (I chose it becuase it was always my fav from ROTJ and also it's more comfortable than most costumes). #2: MAKE SURE WHEN YOU BUY YOUR ARMOR KIT THAT IT HAS ALL THE DETAILS AND I DO MEAN ALL OF THE DETAILS. I will tell you right now (KS) is NOT accurate without some minor additions and they also take a LONG TIME to ship. So buyer beware. They're helmets are also a bit Large and their Pouches are enormous.

Hate to say it bro, but complete finished ready to wear armour is probably not a good thing. It's always better to do the fine details yourself.

It's always best to ask before you buy, that way we can advise on what's good and what's sometimes not

Doesn't sound like you have much to do, so keep at it dude :)

• Like 4

The build was fun for me personally and I'm not sure sc does built kits but the armor is great. When wanting to become a scout I did lots of research and studied this forum as well as other scouts in my garrison. For me half the fun in costuming is making the costume. I'm sorry that happened but hopefully you'll enjoy fixing what needs fixing.

• Like 3

Matt, I'm sorry you're having a hard time but please don't get discouraged. I know that I myself and some others in our Garrison have reached out and offered help. Hit us up! This is a deceptively easy costume, and like so much in life, the devil is in the details. But there's nothing that can't be taken care of.

As far as KS - or any maker for that matter - nothing is guaranteed approved "out of the box". Ever. It's all about fit and finish.

As far as the Standards, they reflect the Screen Used Costume accurately from the best available references. We should look like we walked off the screen, within reason. Obviously height and body type come into play there, but that takes me back to "fit and finish".

You can get it there, but it takes patience. Good luck.

• Like 3

Let's not beat the guy up....

It happens Matt.

The KS kit has always needed some tweaking and the devil is in the detail.

But out of the crux of what you've said, it appears as though the tweaks are 'relatively' minor and should be easy enough to sort.

Obviously that doesn't detract from your annoyance at getting something less than you were expecting, but we are all here to help.

Fall back on those who are willing to give you a leg up. You're not on your own.

• Like 4

"MOD EDIT TO REMOVE INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE" I already posted on here, but whatever I feel like ranting. The whole point of buying my armor kit and paying EXTRA for them (KS) to assebmle it and make it properly was so that I didn't have to run around and do the little extra things myself. Now I have to go run around and search for some black pin-striping along with some white material for the gap between the front and back armor pieces. Not to mention the "greeblies" on the TD. What a bunch of rubbish for them to advertise like that and then not follow through 100 % exactly. I told them 501st approval needed, no questions asked. They had the ability to look up the standatrds and see the pieces they missed. Now I probably won't get around to submitting new approval pics til sometime in July. What a bunch of rubbish. I acyually don't really care, because the next troop I want to do isn't until the middle of September anyhow, so I'm in no rush. Just a little annoyed ADVICE TO ALL SCOUT WANNABEES: #1: Make sure you REALLY wanna be a Scout because some of the standards are just plain ridiculous. (I chose it becuase it was always my fav from ROTJ and also it's more comfortable than most costumes). #2: MAKE SURE WHEN YOU BUY YOUR ARMOR KIT THAT IT HAS ALL THE DETAILS AND I DO MEAN ALL OF THE DETAILS. I will tell you right now (KS) is NOT accurate without some minor additions and they also take a LONG TIME to ship. So buyer beware. They're helmets are also a bit Large and their Pouches are enormous.

I'm sorry your experience has been a bad one. I have KS armor, and literally went through the same thing. Of course, this was in 2011 and I learned a tremendous amount since that time.

The good news is the KS armor CAN be made to be more accurate. Heck, even out of the box all you need is the Scout decals from Trooperbay and you're all set. The greeblies that come with the KS kit are not accurate, but will pass basic 501st approval and clearance. If you want to go for a more accurate costume, do it. I have spent a ton of time updating and replacing parts on my KS and I'm finally happy with it. :)

We all have felt your pain man. It's just part of costuming in general. A lot of patience is the key here...

• Like 4

Guest Chip-hazard

I got kropserkel armor for son last week and I have to say that we are quite pleased. Granted it's not the most accurate but the helmet is totally awesome. I also got it fully ready to wear with soft parts. Slowly I plan on making it more accurate but again my son and I are happy with the kit. I'm waiting on helmet from RSprops since May to compare the two. The boots, vest and coveralls I got from a member.

Hang in there brother. You'll be one of us soon. As far as the standards being ridiculous, I would have to disagree with you on that one. This costume has come a long way from what was once accepted for basic clearance. And because of those standards, we are looking better then ever! Like Jim said, you can get it looking good. Just have a little patience and ifyou need any help or have any questions, just let us know.

• Like 6

Hang in there brother. You'll be one of us soon. As far as the standards being ridiculous, I would have to disagree with you on that one. This costume has come a long way from what was once accepted for basic clearance. And because of those standards, we are looking better then ever! Like Jim said, you can get it looking good. Just have a little patience and ifyou need any help or have any questions, just let us know.

I have to back Chex here. We have an older scout who was the first in our garrison and an original member to the garrison. He rocks the old white rubber boots with a bone glued on and his costume looks poor in comparison to on screen much less next to me or another average scout. Put a lancer next to him and well... Great guy but he sticks by being grandfathered in. I had the same way of thinking when I got approved and shortly after the crl was updated. But after trooping with scouts in amazing costumes I too constantly add and repair my costume. Not really going for lancer but if I eventually meet all specs I'll apply for the status. I like when hardcore fans tell me I look like I just walked off set. It lets me know my hard work paid off. Again in sorry that you got screwed around but I assure you of you pick your head up and take a motivated approach, the repairs will be fun. And you maybe like some of my garrison mates who have a hard time on no patience for the build but crave the cosplay. That's cool too and I'm sure some of your fellow members will be more than happy to help you out. We all worldwide seem to enjoy helping.

• Like 5

Honestly in my opinion the standards of a scout are not hard to achieve at all. I'd say the same as a stormtrooper. The hard parts of a scout are easy to strap up and all that's left after that is acquiring or making your own soft parts. This will be a learning experience if anything. I only took a month to finish my scout from when I received my armor kit. Sorry to hear about your trouble but next time just order a kit its so much better :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Right on. Thanks for the input. Like I said I was just pretty muched peeved and was ranting a bit.

I finally have time now to search out the little detail parts I need.

I just needed to know the size (width) of the pinstriping and also how to attach the piece of white material between the front and back armor.

When I looked on the 501st Scout Trooper Costumer Reference: Under CHEST ARMOR, it says: "The chest and back armor join together over the shoulder and the gap covered with a loop of white fabric." It does NOT however say what the SIZE of the piece is. It also says for Lancer: "Shoulder bridge straps, attaching the front and back of the armor, are made of white cotton webbing. Not Nylon.

So I just need to know how large the piece of white cotten webbing is supposed to be. (This is why details annoy me). LOL.

ALSO: For the pinstriping, on the same page under BACK ARMOR, it says: "The tank has a black stripe detail." Wow. Such specific details. How about how wide the striping is supposed to be?!!? You think we can tell that from a picture? C'mon now.

I'm just saying: they want all the little details, but yet they don't want to give details about the details. Are we just suppoised to guess? Does it even matter how wide the striping is? I'm pretty sure it does.

The last thing I need are the GREEBLIES on the Thermal Detonator. Is there a recommended site to purchase them from or should I just google them and see what comes up?!?

For pinstripping, I used 1/8" Black found at Autozone,

For the bridge, it's a case-per-case basis if I remember correctly... you want to basically bridge whatever gap is leftover between the chest and back sitting properly. Someone can correct me if I am off on this.

For the TD Greeibles I'd go w/ SC as a vendor... you can PM for a link because I don't think we're supposed to link them on the boards publicly. You can expect about a two week wait for the parts, he usually ships fast.

• Like 1

The reason we don't specify on the tank, the width of the pinstriping, is because with different armor makers, tanks are different sizes. Just look at screen grabs, or the pictures im in the various build threads to get a good grasp of how your tank should look.

As for the greeblies on the TD, I'll PM you about that.

• Like 1

Pin striping on the tank, a good width is 3mm (that's what I use), or what ever that equates to in old fashioned Imperial measurements.

The cloth bridges...

Well, we don't specify a width on those because it will differ from trooper to trooper depending on their size and the gap between the ends of their chest/back armour plates.

Ideally it want's to be as small as possible, say about 1"-1.5", but if you're a big chap and there's a 2.5" gap between the chest and backs over the shoulders, then it will need to span that gap.

If you can get the chest and back plates to practically touch, then make it small, and keep it tight around the armour.

• Like 3

When I looked on the 501st Scout Trooper Costumer Reference: Under CHEST ARMOR, it says: "The chest and back armor join together over the shoulder and the gap covered with a loop of white fabric." It does NOT however say what the SIZE of the piece is. It also says for Lancer: "Shoulder bridge straps, attaching the front and back of the armor, are made of white cotton webbing. Not Nylon.

So I just need to know how large the piece of white cotten webbing is supposed to be. (This is why details annoy me). LOL.

ALSO: For the pinstriping, on the same page under BACK ARMOR, it says: "The tank has a black stripe detail." Wow. Such specific details. How about how wide the striping is supposed to be?!!? You think we can tell that from a picture? C'mon now.

I'm just saying: they want all the little details, but yet they don't want to give details about the details. Are we just suppoised to guess? Does it even matter how wide the striping is? I'm pretty sure it does.

The last thing I need are the GREEBLIES on the Thermal Detonator. Is there a recommended site to purchase them from or should I just google them and see what comes up?!?

Or, just check out Trooperbay.com. Good decals and service. They also provide these via eBay.

http://trooperbay.com/decals/prop-replica-decals/star-wars-props/scouts-tb.html

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

WELL: I purchased the pin-striping and the white nylon pieces that I needed. The only problemn I have now is where to fing Greeblies. Someone posted a link to Trooper Bay or something like that, but when you click on the link, there aren't any Greeblies on the page. Onlyt decals for the tank helmet.

Also I searched E-BAY eith no luck either. So basically I have no idea where to get them from now.

Mine weren't included with my armor like most of of your's were I'm sure...

Yeah, I've already been to those links bro. They are no good. It just says "Oops, the page you are looking for no longer exists."

Some of the search threads in here are no good also.

HOWEVER: I already found and ordered some from another place. A guy contacted me from my Garrison (Great Lakes Garrison) and helped me out. I would've thought this was gonna be the place instead of my Garrison site, go figure. Lol.

I clicked on the links, and they worked just fine. You are right, the link in the first post is broken, but if you had read down further in the thread you would have found the links to the different parts. Here's the link for the parts you were looking for:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/3LBDCU9BB/biker-thermal-greeblies-kit

Nexous mentioned SC over two weeks ago. Not sure what you mean by no one here offering help.

Yeah, I've already been to those links bro. They are no good. It just says "Oops, the page you are looking for no longer exists."

Some of the search threads in here are no good also.

Yeah, people delete images from offsite places and/or remove sites. None of that can be controlled by us or the BSN site. There are also members on this forum who sell the greeblies you seek. See below...

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=12429&hl=&fromsearch=1

We do the best we can, but maybe this site is not the place for you.

• Like 1

I would've thought this was gonna be the place instead of my Garrison site, go figure. Lol.

This place is THE go to for all scout related questions. I'm sorry you couldn't find the information with the links that were provided. The information is here, you just have to put in the research to find it. We all have done it. But we're here to help as well; However insinuating that this site isn't informative or helpful, when it is MORE then helpful, can paint one in a bad light and might make others less inclined to answer your questions. Plenty of scouts have used the information here to build their scouts, and get them Lancer approved just by searching and finding the info themselves.

• Like 7