Got my KS helmet

Hey all,

I got my KS helmet yesterday. Looking over this old thread: http://forum.bikersc...topic=5118&st=0 I am curious if (with the new moulds from KS) what things still need to change to get Lancer approved?

The bolt covers still look too large.

The snout is more of a sticker with some things attached. How would I replace this?

Is there supposed to be a gap between the visor and helmet? I can see light in between them. Is this a "no go"? If it is, I have no idea how to fix it. :unsure:

In the CRL, it says: No mesh material mounted in the ears. What do you replace this with?

Also, there is a strap that hangs down in the middle of the helmet attached by velcro to the top of either side of the inside. What is that for?

Thanks for advice in advance.

Tom

post-79887-0-79340700-1434548334_thumb.jpg

post-79887-0-93188600-1434479315_thumb.jpg

- I believe the strap that goes side-to-side might of been where a chin cup once was, but likely got lost. I don't think that's required for Lancer anymore as it is "debatable", but you can double check the CRL on the forums to confirm.

- For the mesh replacement, I think you can leave it open and paint the inside black if it isn't already. The purpose is to give it depth, but I can't speak of what is required because I haven't done so on my bucket yet.

- You can try heating up the visor with a heat gun to try and push the visor in more... best advice I have on that

- If the snout is a sticker, I think it's best you search for replacement greeblies.

I'm still a little new to crafting, so I hope someone with a little more experience/knowledge can offer more advice :)

• Like 1

Remove the snout greeblie and decal, those are awful. MonCal sells an excellent one piece snout, I recommend that. You will have to sand it down a bit as it's for a larger helmet than the KS.

Get some satin black paint and paint around the snout (it should be half black around the front). You can then attach the snout.

Rip the mesh out, paint the inside of the helmet black around the back. It's supposed to be a hole.

Replace the decals. Trooper Master makes an excellent set.

The visor should not be warped. KS strikes again. If you can heat it a bit without warping it, you may be able to bend it back into shape. Without a few more photos, it's hard to say.

Good luck.

• Like 2

I will take a few more photos when I get home and post them. I can order a heat gun and have it at the house in 2 days thanks to Amazon Prime. I have flat black paint from a table top model line, so that is easy to fix.

When I get home, I will look at the snout again so I can figure out how to remove the piece that is on there now.

Which decals are you saying need to be replaced?

I brought from KS a few years back, Warped visor, sides all wrinkled sits wrong.....I now own a SC and couldn't be happier.

KS shouldn't be recommended.

I resized the photo of an overhead shot I took last night and added it to my original post above. You can see a sizable gap between the visor and the faceplate. I have never used a heat gun but I am not sure that would help to be honest.

I brought from KS a few years back, Warped visor, sides all wrinkled sits wrong.....I now own a SC and couldn't be happier. KS shouldn't be recommended.

Starting to agree. Most of the rest of it looks good (except for the snout). The rest of the moulding looks good. No warping I can see. It looks more like they set the visor too far forward by several mm. And with this being my first build, I am not sure I can fix this with my beginner skills.

Hit up Darth Voorhees or Rottie on this forum for the snout. If the visor is toast you can pickup a new one from Trooperbay, or make your own from a welders shield (5 shade). The heat gun is tricky so experiment before modding the actual visor. Typically, 10-15 seconds at medium heat will give you a nice 'bend'.

I dont know if the visor is "toast". I am just not sure if there is a good way to alter the one on there now with the tools/skills I have at my disposal. I /think/ if I removed the visor, cut off some of the "arms" by a few mm, it would fit better. However, that brings up the problem of drilling new holes and perhaps filling the old one, then attempting to paint the filler to match. Each step just means one more chance to mess this up.

I have contacted Brenda from KS to address this issue. Now I just have to wait until they finally decide to get around to replying.

Please keep up the suggestions, guy and girls. And thanks for the advice so far.

My misunderstanding. When I think visor I think of the lens. I do see the gap in your blinder/faceplate (visor top). The right most is not nice. You could modify the left to match but it would be worse.

KS should definitely replace the front section (blinder/faceplate). Looks like a bad trim job.

• Like 1

They did offer me a replacement.....cost of sending it back...and waiting another 4 months, and became concerned if the new one would be any better...

• Like 1

Wonder if you could order an SC visor and see if it would fit? It is ashame they sent out a product with all those gaps between the faceplate. Almost looks like it would need to be cut/shortened at the 12 o'clock position ( like remove a small section and glue it back together).

I have a KS lid, you can defiantly save that visor. You can fill the gaps in the front possibly with silicone gap filler, and to bring the visor closer to the lid. You can trim and trim and trim, if you move the bolt holes forward and reshape the sides of the visor, it will work. My kit took a lot of work, and I'm happy with it now and proud of the work I did

• Like 1

The top of the dome helmet isn't horrible (nobody will ever see the top if you are wearing it).

I'll echo the Vorhees snout. I got my KS snout from him and it's perfect. You'll need to sand it down at the top a bit to make it fit. (He makes them long so they fit a variety of lids).

Those gaps between the shield and the faceplate look fixable.

Best option is to try and separate the face and shield if its not glued with cement. Then you can secure the top sides of the shield where you see lots of gap right now. That will likely seat the top of the shield with the top of the faceplate as well.

Second option is to get some e6000 glue and some clamps and see if you can glue them tighter to the faceplate. Then do the same with the top of the shield. You can heat it with a hair dryer if you don't see yourself needing a heat gun in the future.

My KS was trimmed off center meaning one side of the shield was shorter than the other so it took some work to get it to align correctly.

I'm happy to show you mine up close if that will help. Or maybe shoot a quick youtube video for you if the description doesn't make sense.

I would ask one of the more experienced builders their advice as well. If you can get one of the UK Garrison armorers advice that would be great too. They can do magic with plastic. I've seen them pull off some creative fixes on TK armor and I'm sure they can offer their advice on a TB as well.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi. So I was considering a KS helmet but after reading some replies sounds like their bucket is not as good.

Anyway what do you guys recommend for a guy with a 7 1/2 hat size. For reference I've got an Army ranger, boonie hat, that I ordered from US Cavalry a few years back. The 7 1/2 size gives some wiggle room even when I haven't had my haircut in a while. Also I guess I have a normal to small size head, I get about 9 1/2 inches when trying to measure the height of my head from chin to top of my noggin. I'm thinking of an SC bucket now. How deep are the SC buckets? Any advice?

Hi. So I was considering a KS helmet but after reading some replies sounds like their bucket is not as good. Anyway what do you guys recommend for a guy with a 7 1/2 hat size. For reference I've got an Army ranger, boonie hat, that I ordered from US Cavalry a few years back. The 7 1/2 size gives some wiggle room even when I haven't had my haircut in a while. Also I guess I have a normal to small size head, I get about 9 1/2 inches when trying to measure the height of my head from chin to top of my noggin. I'm thinking of an SC bucket now. How deep are the SC buckets? Any advice?

You seek an Altmann helmet. Spike may have a few left.

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=13442&hl=&fromsearch=1