Helmets...

So might be able to swing ordering my helmet tomorrow, I've read up on the pros and cons, but wanted to get one more round of opinions. It is between KS and SC (I will be getting the SC armor kit). I have heard that KS is better helmet wise, but it seems not by much. The big thing I see is that KS is quoting a time of 4 to 6 weeks, while SC is quoting about 4 to 5 days.

So question my question. Is the KS worth waiting the extra time for?

Short answer, In my opinion, yes.

As far as vac'formed helmets go KS is still a good choice. LW is the best currently available in kit form, but they are hard to come by. RS will be releasing a kit as well sometime this year i belive as well, cast off a production helmet, but that wont help you now lol. Next best Vac'd helmet, id say is Chef, then KS, then SC. Although the SC helmet will get you by, it is the smallest of the bunch and doesnt have the "ears" cast into the face plate which is a MAJOR help assembling it, and also accurate. The KS does have this on the faceplate.

The KS is a good overall helmet, if you get it in kit form. I have one for my shadow scout build im doing. If you have them build it, you will have to rip half of it apart and re do it to get it to look good.

• Like 1

Short answer, In my opinion, yes.

As far as vac'formed helmets go KS is still a good choice. LW is the best currently available in kit form, but they are hard to come by. RS will be releasing a kit as well sometime this year i belive as well, cast off a production helmet, but that wont help you now lol. Next best Vac'd helmet, id say is Chef, then KS, then SC. Although the SC helmet will get you by, it is the smallest of the bunch and doesnt have the "ears" cast into the face plate which is a MAJOR help assembling it, and also accurate. The KS does have this on the faceplate.

The KS is a good overall helmet, if you get it in kit form. I have one for my shadow scout build im doing. If you have them build it, you will have to rip half of it apart and re do it to get it to look good.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I'm buying the kit, part of the whole appeal of this is being able to build it myself. :)

Will probably be getting the KS than, I will post up a wip thread when I get started. :)

I just got my KS helmet. A few things I need to change, but overall very nice. Just expect it to take a lot longer than the quoted time frame. I ordered mind back in February and just got it earlier this week, and that was after contacting them. If you need to contact them, do it through Facebook. Likely you will never hear from an email.

Hmmmmm, is that normal with KS? Three months seems like a very long time. I understand that it isn't mass produced, but that seems like a bit too long. I'm hoping to have my costume done before October, we are going to my brother in law's wedding in Orlando and are doing the Halloween night at Disney and I would love to be able to wear it (if not I'm going as the 10th Doctor lol)...

In this hobby, 3 months is nothing! lol Ive waited over a year for some parts from other costumes, and even for some Scout parts. Its the nature of this hobby since most makers do this as a side thing and have day jobs. KS is a larger prop company that does deal in the business i beleive, so concidering they have "professiosnl" jobs to attend to, i think 3 months is fairly reasonable. That said when i ordered one they quoted me about 4 months and i got it in about a month, so it does vary im guessing depending on how busy they are.

• Like 1

THAT is a good choice also. :D I thought the Altmanns were fiberglass though...but it looks like it may actually be vac formed? the more you know lol

Altmanns are a vac formed bucket, all plastic, visor is "heat formed" 3mm dark clear acrylic, ;)

• Like 3

Go with the Altmann buddy. It's ready to troop out of the box. Painted inside. Same weight as the KS.

I have a thread with the KS and the Altmann side by side. See the difference yourself.

KS is great. Takes a long time. It will last a long time too.

Altmann was in my hands 3 weeks after paid.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Thanks all, I'm going to go with Chef... I love the Altmann, but it is a little out of my budget right now. Might upgrade in the future though. I will let you know when I get my bucket and start the build. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm excited to help with your build bro! I've never seen Chef's helmet so it'll be nice to watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm building a Chef's Hat right now... I should put some pictures up! Poor Rob is probably quite sick of me messaging him every couple of days whining about how I can't figure out how all the bits line up! However, when it's finished it has the potential to be very close to the real thing. He makes them in the same five section design that the originals had.

• Like 1

Poor Rob is probably quite sick of me messaging him every couple of days whining about how I can't figure out how all the bits line up!

Nah... you're one of the easier ones! heheheheh.

[/size][/font]

Nah... you're one of the easier ones! heheheheh.

Wow. I can't believe you are still sane if that's the case! But seriously, I do appreciate the after sales service and could have made some blunders without it (yeah, don't tell them about the bolts, OK? :rolleyes: )

Here is a link to my build thread on the UKG so you can see how far I've got with the helmet (a bit further than this now, screwing the bolts into the visor this evening to test the fit before I glue the faceplate on).

http://www.ukgarrison.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=55591