Small crack on helmet surface

Hi again!

The bubble wrap marks that I've mentioned, in another thread, shouldn't now be a problem. I'll start working on that ASAP!

But I've now come across a new problem...

I've recently discovered a very small crack on the surface of my CB helmet. I know it wasn't there when I got it, so it must have appeared today or maybe yesterday.

As I said it's only on the surface of the helmet and not all the way through. Is it something not to worry about, or should I try to fix it as soon as possible?

What would you guys recommend me to do? How can I get this fixed?

http://s1066.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0

I have no experience with repairs like this, so obviously I need some serious guidelines!

Thanks for help! :)

If it isn't all the way through, I wouldn't worry TOO much. Just be careful. Fiberglass helmets can be more fragile.

If it were me, that would drive me crazy, unless I was going for weathering. You could try rondo-ing it, sanding it down and repainting if you aren't opposed to that. That would probably be a bit overkill though

looks like the gel coat, you can get gel coat repair kits/liquid as well as fibreglass repair kits.

see if its gel coat or the fibreglass thats cracked

I think it's only the gel coat that has cracked. Because there is no sign of the crack from the inside.

Where can I find a gelcoat repair kit/liquid? And how does that work?

Yup, that's a stress crack in the gel coat, caused by that chip that it radiates from.

As your helmet has flexed, it's stressed the gel and popped that chip.

Gel can be repaired pretty easily. You just need a filler.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evercoat-105652-.5-Oz-White-Marine-Gel-Coat-Scratch-Patch/21798232

I've never used this stuff, being UK based. But it's what I found your side of the pond.

You can always get some white Gel and fill it back in. It's just like a thick 2-part paint.

V out the crack with a dremel. (don't go through into the Fibreglass underneath... well, not too much anyway).

Fill in with the Gel/Filler. Allow to cure.

Sand smooth.

It will probably require a re-paint. If it was a pure gel finish (no paint), then you could have just polished the Gel back to white.

This sort of thing happens when you either have 'thin' glass behind it, allowing it to flex, or air bubbles under the surface allowing the Gel to break.

Gel in itself has ZERO strength. It's like an eggshell. A good protective coat, but very frangible. The GRP behind it gives all the strength.

I'll keep me eye on this should you need any assistance.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help! :)

I asked Christian about the paint a few days ago and he said he'd used Polyurethane Automotive Paint. He said, "Similar to Oil-based. Is acrylic-based or plastic-based. For work with this paint you must use a acrylic thinner for bi-component paint.".

I don't really understand what he means, but does anyone know if I maybe can use a different paint on the helmet if I need to re-paint the whole thing after the repair?

polyurethane is a 2part paint, paint and a hardener to chemically dry the paint making the paint very hard and brittle on a flexible surface.usually takes 3 days to completely harden

you should be able to use an acrylic(plastic) laquer to paint over repairs, use an epoxy primer then the paint

please read all instructions on the cans/tins

I'm now actually thinking about getting some kind of refund or get the helmet replaced, because now I've discovered a few other surface cracks and a big crack on the inside of the visor:

http://s1066.photobu...html?sort=3&o=1

And these cracks can't have been caused by me, because I've handled this helmet very carefully

What should I do? :(

Difficult to say...

Are those cracks detrimental to the integrity of the helmet?? Probably not.

Is that what you'd expect from your brand new helmet?? Probably not.

Such cracks do happen on GRP (fibreglass) helmets.

Mine has a few in the high stress areas, but then it is 7 years old and has been seriously abused.

IMG_2421.jpg

They occur when the laminate has been stressed either via a direct impact, in which case it tends to 'spider' outwards, or flexing in which case it splits, like in the join between the faceplate and visor. A common weak spot.

Does it mean your lid is junk... Not in the slightest. GRP is very resilient (they make boats out of the stuff!).

Would such cracks early on give me cause for concern... Certainly. You don't know if there are any air bubbles under the gel surface.

At the end of the day... It's your purchase and if you're not happy with it then that is up to you to decide whether to take that up with the vendor or not.

If such damage has occurred in transit, then it is the responsibility of the "Sender" to deal with that, and claim on their shipping insurance. You are not responsible for such stuff until it gets in your hands.

But at the end of the day, EVERYTHING is repairable. GRP is good like that.

It's just a question of whether you feel you should be responsible for those repairs or not.

Ok, I get your point!

I've sent a message to Christian about this and now waiting on an answer from him.

Then we'll see what we decide to do.

Do you guys think I can get these cracks fixed if I send it to some kind of car or boat service place?

I would guess that those people know exactly what to do for cracks and marks like these, right?

Because I have no experience with repair like this so I'm afraid that if I try I'll just screw everything up.

certainly.... any place that deals primarily with GRP will be able to repair it.

A standard automotive body shop might not be the best place, so look for either someone who repairs boats, or custom cars with GRP shells.

To be fair... If you're OK with painting a helmet and using something like car body filler (Bondo I think you guys call it), using a GRP Filler is exactly the same.

But should you be expected to do that??

It really comes down to your satisfaction. You payed a good amount of your own hard earned money for a product, if you're not happy you have rights and the seller should respond and work with you (all within reason of course)

Just as a point of note, considering your other thread.

If there is going to be an issue of return or refund, I wouldn't do ANYTHING to the helmet at all.... Return it in the condition you received it in.

If you start altering it or doing 'work' on it... then you potentially cut off your avenues for recourse as you have 'altered' it from the condition in which it was received.

I had the same thing happened with my CB helmet. I took a Dremel and ground out the cracks. I had two separate spiderweb cracks. I filled with Bondo then glazing putty. Wet sanding between coats. I of course had to repaint that area. I also got a fiberglass kit from Walmart and reinforced the top inside of the helmet, which was flexing, with two layers of fiberglass cloth. It was my first helmet repair and was very easy. I posted pictures about a year ago in the helmet thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk