RS Scout Helmet

Well, received mine this morning (unfortunately not able to post any pictures) and there's good news and bad (this refers to my example, can't obviously speak for the others that people will receive).

Good points:

Closet example you'll get to the real thing, so RS should be congratulated for making this available.

Generally well constructed, visor lifts and seams filled and sanded well.

Painting is colour accurate and decals look good.

Nice, correct shade of visor.

Overall an impressive replica that includes a nice stand and certificate.

Not so good points:

QC lacking meaning there was white overspray over the black and grey of the snout.

Black overspray getting on to the white of the helmet (inadequate masking).

Helmet not brushed down before painting the helmet, meaning there are bits of dust and plastic residue trapped on the surface, under the paint. If you try to remove these you get black spots where the primer shows through.

Tamiya piece poorly moulded with bubble holes in the casting.

Strange matt surface that in some parts looks like it's been rubbed over with heavy duty sandpaper.

Head band kit is not accurate.

So despite the moaning, am I pleased?

Yes and no.

I'm very pleased to own one of these and there's no doubt it's impressive and as screen accurate as we're likely to get.

For the money, however, I expect a pretty flawless piece that has been through QC before being sent and certainly with a better paint job.

As it turns out, I've decided to sent it back to RS as some of these problems (like paint overspray) are not something I am happy to leave.

When it returns, I'll hopefully be able to provide a more positive update.

• Like 1

As it turns out, I've decided to sent it back to RS as some of these problems (like paint overspray) are not something I am happy to leave.

And you are right to do so. As far as I'm concerned for the price of this helmet, and the time it's taken to deliver, the flaws you described are absolutely unacceptable.

• Like 1

I also TOTALLY AGREE with your return decision.

How disappointing. :6:

\m/

One other point, just compared the RS to my LoneWolf, and boy, did he do a good job (LW).

Pretty much spot on in terms of size and shape.

You've got one too?? Nice!!!

Good to know about the size because my LW is perfect for my large cranium and outstandingly well built to boot.

\m/

You've got one too?? Nice!!!

Good to know about the size because my LW is perfect for my large cranium and outstandingly well built to boot.

\m/

Yep, LW really raised the bar when he offered his helmet. Shame they are so rare.

Yep, LW really raised the bar when he offered his helmet. Shame they are so rare.

Well, that is what makes them so darn valuable and highly sought after. :bikerscout:

We should consider ourselves fortunate (which we do) because lots of folks have been seeking one for many, many (many) years.

\m/

I missed the preorders on these, but am eagerly awaiting another preorder wave. I hate to say it like this, but as people start to get their orders, If anyone is dissatisfied with their buckets and are looking to get rid of them, I'm sure there are many members here who would quickly jump on them...myself included.

\m/

• Like 1

I missed the preorders on these, but am eagerly awaiting another preorder wave. I hate to say it like this, but as people start to get their orders, If anyone is dissatisfied with their buckets and are looking to get rid of them, I'm sure there are many members here who would quickly jump on them...myself included.

\m/

I'll let you know if it fits my big head!

• Like 1

I'm returning mine. Scratches over the paint with primer showing. Scratched visor. Faceplate isn't flush to the back section so doesn't sit properly. Dirty fingerprint marks over it and flecks under the paint in a lot of places. 15 month wait for this.

I'm returning mine. Scratches over the paint with primer showing. Scratched visor. Faceplate isn't flush to the back section so doesn't sit properly. Dirty fingerprint marks over it and flecks under the paint in a lot of places. 15 month wait for this.

WOW!!! This is sounding really bad. The first two received from the group sound like doo-doo.

I am in the second wave so I am wondering if they may be better QCed. We shall see...

Sorry to hear about the bogus lids guys. \m/

Seems mine isn't a one off, then.

Sent my bucket back to RS today, so will see if they do something about the problems I listed on the previous page.

If not, I'll be looking for a full refund.

Can't believe goods are allowed to leave the building without being checked over.

Any one received one that's turned out without issues?

Just got my shipping notice yesterday as well, wow its a shame about the snout piece. I guess its a good thing my armor kit came with a flawlessly molded snout piece so in a worse case scenario I can carefully take off the original one and put the new one on. One would think that with all of these delays the helmets would be perfect but apparently not. I remember having nightmares that my helmet was delivered and it was warped and broke in half upon taking it out of the box, it was literally one of the worst dreams I have ever had, I am sure it wont be even nearly as bad as that though lmao.

Well, received mine this morning (unfortunately not able to post any pictures) and there's good news and bad (this refers to my example, can't obviously speak for the others that people will receive).

Good points:

Closet example you'll get to the real thing, so RS should be congratulated for making this available.

Generally well constructed, visor lifts and seams filled and sanded well.

Painting is colour accurate and decals look good.

Nice, correct shade of visor.

Overall an impressive replica that includes a nice stand and certificate.

Not so good points:

QC lacking meaning there was white overspray over the black and grey of the snout.

Black overspray getting on to the white of the helmet (inadequate masking).

Helmet not brushed down before painting the helmet, meaning there are bits of dust and plastic residue trapped on the surface, under the paint. If you try to remove these you get black spots where the primer shows through.

Tamiya piece poorly moulded with bubble holes in the casting.

Strange matt surface that in some parts looks like it's been rubbed over with heavy duty sandpaper.

Head band kit is not accurate.

So despite the moaning, am I pleased?

Yes and no.

I'm very pleased to own one of these and there's no doubt it's impressive and as screen accurate as we're likely to get.

For the money, however, I expect a pretty flawless piece that has been through QC before being sent and certainly with a better paint job.

When it returns, I'll hopefully be able to provide a more positive update.

So disappointing... :(

PS If this crap happens to mine I expect them to pay for the freaking shipping to them and back.

I'm new here but I have a RS Scout helmet on order since April last year. The delays and false promises have been very frustrating and I'm disappointed to hear there are problems with some that have been delivered. Given the cost and the endless waiting I'm not willing to accept flaws in mine.

• Like 1

Wow that is a bit dissapointing Yorkie Fett. I bet because it took them so long to actually get them pulled and assembled, that the painting process was rushed. Even with those flaws, i still kind of want one, also the reson i wanted a kit. Which at first they told me they would offer, which is why i didnt pre-order the built one, now they are saying they MAY offer it later on. Thats really what id be after. i want to build/finish it myself, to my own standards.

Well, that is what makes them so darn valuable and highly sought after. :bikerscout:

We should consider ourselves fortunate (which we do) because lots of folks have been seeking one for many, many (many) years.

\m/

Yea i am one of the lucky ones, ive had 3 LWs during my scout time lol. One is still in kit form that im going to build up for my current scout build. When i was at C7, i compared my LW to the EFX (which is also cast from an original, though fiberglass) and the LW was near a perfect match. the only differences myself and Gino found were the traps on the back should be closer together, the deepest inset under the lense should be a bit softer/not so deep, and looking at it from the top the EFX was a touch more oval/longer back to front, but it was very little. So over all, LW really has done an amazing job, especilly not having the real thing in front of him as reference. Im proud to own the LW.

• Like 3

Yea i am one of the lucky ones, ive had 3 LWs during my scout time lol. One is still in kit form that im going to build up for my current scout build. When i was at C7, i compared my LW to the EFX (which is also cast from an original, though fiberglass) and the LW was near a perfect match. the only differences myself and Gino found were the traps on the back should be closer together, the deepest inset under the lense should be a bit softer/not so deep, and looking at it from the top the EFX was a touch more oval/longer back to front, but it was very little. So over all, LW really has done an amazing job, especilly not having the real thing in front of him as reference. Im proud to own the LW.

LW helmets remain a work of art!

I got a reply from RS who were very apologetic and are sorting out the problems and returning the helmet when finished.

Good customer service but still shouldn't have left the building in that state (as they admitted).

I think it's luck of the draw as to who completed the helmet over at RS, especially if some are arriving without issues.

Guest assimilate

wow you actually got a reply

had nothing but ball ache dealing with them

never got replies on any of my emails

Seems mine isn't a one off, then.

Sent my bucket back to RS today, so will see if they do something about the problems I listed on the previous page.

If not, I'll be looking for a full refund.

Can't believe goods are allowed to leave the building without being checked over.

Any one received one that's turned out without issues?

You should sell it to one of the many members wanting one instead!

• Like 1

You should sell it to one of the many members wanting one instead!

I'm sure there are a lot of members wanting one of these, but I'd have a hard time selling a product to someone that had so many flaws.

I'm hoping that RS are going to come good and return it to me with all the problems rectified.