RS Scout Helmet

If my helmet shows up with light damage I'll likely just ask for a partial refund and do the work myself, too much trouble to send it from the states... but if it comes in completely damaged then that'll be sent back.

I agree with the others thought about expecting higher quality props with that price point. A professional finish should look professional and not like they rushed it out the door.

Has anyone actually got any pictures of the 'damage'....

Just out of curiosity.

Mickey posted some pictures of the issues with his RS on his thread here: http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=15122

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity.

Had to scale down the image size, but here's part of my set of issues... Might or might not be able to see that the crack extends from above the light-reflected area of the cap, down past where the back flares out. All told about 3-4" in length IIRC. Sent an email asking if this was going to be the norm for these, due to the "rough, wonky," everything, like the other RS stuff I have, and was told it's definitely not supposed to be like that. Maybe an easy fix for some here, but I think the only thing I could manage would be damaging it FURTHER to try for a sort of "as it appears in present day" kind of beat up look. Heh, not my first choice.

post-81655-0-61569300-1466606781_thumb.jpeg

Odd that it should split there...

If the seam is going to split, its normally right on the edges, so around the rim of the neck, or at the front of the bucket.

I can only think of a couple of situations that may cause that.

A: it's either been squashed/twisted a bit laterally, but then you'd expect to see similar cracks along other parts of the seam.

B: The join underneath is a bit weak and not filled properly, and when it's been baked to cure the paint (which I assume they'll do), the join has moved and split the paint/filler as a result.

The only way to repair that is to 'v' out the crack, refill it and then repaint the bucket. Easy in terms of skill... Not so easy in terms of time/effort.

They are an absolute pain to do, just in terms of time. I did have this discussion with them back in 2014 at our Annual Ball... They take forever!

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity.

Unfortunately mine was literally in my possession for about 10 minutes before I repackaged it and sent it back to RS.

Didn't really have chance to take pictures, but trust me, it wasn't pleasant!!

Reason I sent mine back- I don't really think it's acceptable to spend £400 ($585) and wait 18 months for a prop which you then have to start stripping, sanding, repainting, redecaling and basically working on to get it to a satisfactory standard.

This should have been perfect straight out of the box. Judging by some other members on here (and by the law of averages, buyers who aren't members), I'm not the only one who's been stung.

If the next one is substandard, It'll keep going back till they get it right.

I would do the same if I didn't have to pay international shipping myself. RS did it wrong, they should pay shipping back to them not me.

Not planning to send mine back until I have a good one in my possession, they tell me they actually want it shipped back and not destroyed, and they confirm that they'll refund my shipping costs.

Can't really fix the damaged/cracked paint/primer/helmet, nor do I feel like I should have to I guess.

Unfortunately it's not how it works with them. I had to send my damaged one back to them last week. Another package from them was posted my way later the same day. The thing is despite the damage to my helmet, only the visor had cracks on the bottom and a bad fit, the helmet itself had only a paint rub, otherwise it could be repainted and used for any other good visor - but the only place for my visor (once the lens and greeblies removed) would be in trash, unless they want to repair the chin cracks in a way that won't show later.

Just out of curiosity.

My own RS Scout helmet damages:

1. Chin cracks - it is way too thin here

RS%20Scout%20helmet%20damage%2002_zpsvokaj06g.jpg

2. Bad fitting visor - no matter what I did it wouldn't close more than that

RS%20Scout%20helmet%20damage%2008_zpsmydtfvka.jpg

There was also a paint scratch on top of the lid on side but that I would have considered battle damage, if the other 2 problems weren't there too.

Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuch....what a bad quality :blink::huh:<_<

...and that for this price....therefor I praise my LW helmet. Really close on the original details, really good quality of the plastic....

In total package a better helmet than the RS lid...sry.

I've never handled a LW, but I'm in Wave 3 for my RS. I'm actually pretty fortunate to be in Wave 3 as the craftsmanship will I'm sure be better at that point. The Stormtroopers that RS put out are of great quality and make. They've spoken several times about their underestimation of the difficulty to produce these. LW is an AMAZING talent, but the dream has always been to have what I saw on screen....which for all intents and purposes is what I I'm getting with an RS. The question is, who is going to be the first person to make a new sculpt using the measurements of the RS? THAT would be pretty awesome. The more accurate helmets we can get out into the wild the better!

\m/

• Like 1

Agreed Shaun. The greatness of the LW, and it is great, compared to RS is basically irrelevant if nobody can get one. LW has no obligation to produce , but if he's not going to, then it's like comparing a thoroughbred to a unicorn. A decent thoroughbred won't necessarily win the Triple Crown, but at least it's in the race.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it's not how it works with them. I had to send my damaged one back to them last week. Another package from them was posted my way later the same day.

Do you mean we have to cover the shipping, or just that we have to send back the bad one first to receive a replacement? I'm assuming that since you were earlier in the 1st wave than I was, that I'll be getting a message to do the same in the next week or two.

And your damage looks a lot worse than mine, even. Ugh. Seems like a good bit of the issue is inadequate packaging, although my visor wasn't attached correctly either, and could close all the way or open more than about 1/2 way. Not sure if the packaging will be improved with the replacements, though I would hope so.

*edit: Re-read your comment and saw that you answered the question already. So it's basically both paying to ship and having to send the bad to receive the replacement. That's really disappointing.

Edited by Jagjaguwar

I thought it was the replacement helmet that will arrive this week, since I received a UPS notification from RS. In fact it was the helmet stand I ordered for my old First Edition RS Stormtrooper helmet which came without a stand back then. So no sign of the replacement Scout lid... :(

PS. The RS helmet stands are nice, being clearly inspired by Master Replicas, but no problem from my part on this resemblance. The issue is that the resin in the base is quite badly cut, you need to add tape on both the helmet support (the one with the RS logo on top) and on the rod that fits in the base, all this because otherwise the stand is floppy and will fall apart. OK, did that easily. I also added small furniture pads on the base not to scratch the furniture, all my stands RS or not have this.

Long ago I ordered a few wooden helmet stands from a FISD member named Hdtheater, his stands were awesome, made like professionals - solid, furniture pads installed, Imperial logo on them, simply great. On the RS stand I received 30 minutes ago I had to cut up in the plaque holder part on the base because there was resin remains there and the RS plaque didn't fit. One disappointment after another with RS. They simply shell out products, one after another, but QC is minimal or non-existent. Replacements take ages to receive, if ever. They were the best once, now it is just sad.

Edited by jkno

My first RS purchase was a Fett helmet kit in 2014. It had a huge chip in the right earpiece but there were no loose pieces in the box, which also had the words "chipped helmet" written on the side! Unbelievable! The Scout is my second purchase from them and it has not been a good experience either. Think I'l go elsewhere in future.

My first RS purchase was a Fett helmet kit in 2014. It had a huge chip in the right earpiece but there were no loose pieces in the box, which also had the words "chipped helmet" written on the side! Unbelievable! The Scout is my second purchase from them and it has not been a good experience either. Think I'l go elsewhere in future.

Did they just sent you a damaged helmet they received from someone else?

Heh, shame on me for thinking they were on their way, I guess....

I had planned to put together the Anovos TK kit I have, and then depending on how that went (and how I liked doing the work), either get an RS TK armor kit or go for the completed TK commission. Much less certain of that now. Everything will really hinge on how the two things I have on order go.