RS Scout Helmet

Guest Forrest Patrol

Is this a good way to do business? Definitely NO. Is this the way they are doing it? Yes. Can WE do anything about it? We can let them know we don't agree with this pre-order/delay policy (and most likely be ignored) or we can decide to not order from them anymore. Easy choices. And one more thing. Even if person X or Y won't order from a certain company/producer there will be others that will, no matter the delays or prices.

I seriously think everyone should get together and just boycott these companies, maybe they will realise that they need more staff or do something about it when all that $$$ cashmoney stops coming in.

What's the point of pre-orders? Why don't they just have the item ready and then sell it first come, first serve? Not "You pay me now for an item that does not exist yet. I'll have it tomorrow, or the next day or next week."

What happens when this person dies without giving you the product? You might as well just go the bank and shovel your money out of the window and into a fire.

As Apollo Creed said "There is no tomorrow!"

I don't know that boycotting them would work or is really the right thing to do. If someone is willing to give someone money for something that doesn't exist in the hopes of getting it one day , that is their choice. There is a heading at the top of the page though and only one vendor is listed when in all fairness there should be SEVERAL vendors - most who are legit actual businesses listed in order to protect the community here - especially new people.

I seriously think everyone should get together and just boycott these companies, maybe they will realise that they need more staff or do something about it when all that $$$ cashmoney stops coming in. What's the point of pre-orders? Why don't they just have the item ready and then sell it first come, first serve? Not "You pay me now for an item that does not exist yet. I'll have it tomorrow, or the next day or next week." What happens when this person dies without giving you the product? You might as well just go the bank and shovel your money out of the window and into a fire. As Apollo Creed said "There is no tomorrow!"

Careful mate. I understand your opinion - but unless you have first-hand experience with RS, or another vendor, it's just an opinion. You're entitled to it, and heck we all have one, but LOTS of folks are working with them (and others). It's common now in the US for pre-orders, half down-half on delivery, etc.

As with everything in life it is the buyers money for them to do with as they please, so if they are ok with waiting and being lied to it really isn't something I can have a problem with. It stinks when people are new and get excited and start buying from big names without researching them for possible issues. The vendors should just be honest and say " you will get it when we feel like making it". I am going to stick with supporting vendors who actually have products to sell, can take 30 seconds to answer an email with my concerns on where my hundreds of $$ of stuff is and don't lie.

Agreed. Though like everything in life buyers also need to do their own research and see if a seller is trustworthy and if there are no delays (especialy if terms are very important for the buyer). In the end it is buyers money at stake here.

Licensed companies do this for some time already and no matter what customers say to them they still do it alas - Anovos didn't release any SW item to the market and already there are delays (I already talked about the other licensees). But this practice was in fan made area for some time as well, just look at the waitlists for some helmet/armor makers.

Communication and QC are some of the most important things a company should take care of. Even if a product is delayed, good communication helps the customer understand what is going on. And here Anovos excels, they reply to each message from members on RPF, and their friendly communication makes the customers and fans trust them more.

• Like 2

Agreed. Though like everything in life buyers also need to do their own research and see if a seller is trustworthy and if there are no delays (especialy if terms are very important for the buyer). In the end it is buyers money at stake here.

Licensed companies do this for some time already and no matter what customers say to them they still do it alas - Anovos didn't release any SW item to the market and already there are delays (I already talked about the other licensees). But this practice was in fan made area for some time as well, just look at the waitlists for some helmet/armor makers.

Communication and QC are some of the most important things a company should take care of. Even if a product is delayed, good communication helps the customer understand what is going on. And here Anovos excels, they reply to each message from members on RPF, and their friendly communication makes the customers and fans trust them more.

Agreed. If RS had communicated with me in ANY way, I would not be all that upset. It is exactly this complete lack of communication that has driven me to feel the way I do. I am sure the Dickey Beer scout helmet is going to be ridiculously cool. They just need to make sure they are not hiring on ONLY people that like to craft and build props. A business is a LOT more than the product it creates.

Guest Forrest Patrol

Careful mate. I understand your opinion - but unless you have first-hand experience with RS, or another vendor, it's just an opinion. You're entitled to it, and heck we all have one, but LOTS of folks are working with them (and others). It's common now in the US for pre-orders, half down-half on delivery, etc.

Sorry Griffin-X, I'm not ordering from the listed vendors, but I have ordered a DLT-19 from a UK maker, D__pyd__s. I hope our UK guys will confirm how bad their communication and wait time is, although the guys who recommended them have said they do make very nice, quality pieces.

• Like 1

The problem with suggestions of a boycott, is that one can only do it if one either no longer wants the product at all, or has an alternative vendor to go to instead. When you're in a situation where there is no competitor offering the same product then you can't really do it. They have a monopoly, and you must have it their way or not at all.

The only thing that will stop this general attitude amongst prop manufacturers is if a competitor comes along offering a product of the same quality but faster. That's the only way they'll lose business. Right now, the buyers want the products too badly not to pay and wait.

I love capitalism, but this exposes the "dark side" of it all. lol

...and how I've still been seduced by it. I put my order in yesterday. :D

I believe all the above points are valid, but I have the luxury of not being disappointed by the missed May release. I already know I'm going to wait, and I'm prepared to do so. I have a lot of work to do on the rest of the costume in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite as ready as we were told. Posted today (I thought they were at this stage in the pictures they posted a month ago?)

"Just got asked about the Scout lids, i know many have messaged, but I just had time to reply on this and thought I would share so everyone knows where we are at....

Hi Andy, we are very close to releasing these now. As they stand I have all helmets trimmed, assembles and face/visors mounted. Most are in primmer, a few are in first coat of white. We have all the headliners and visor mounting greebliel/screws, I am waiting on the black stripes that are cut in vinyl to finish, the rest are water slide decals. So, we are having a huge push to clear this project up this week. Please stay tuned for more exciting info this week."

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps they should be spending a little less time on their life-size Jabba and more time on actual customer orders. Unless of course someone actually commissioned a life-sized Jabba...but I kinda doubt it. <_<

• 3 weeks later...
Guest assimilate

I saw the price of these lids and laughed

I'm wondering if they will be as flimsy as everything else they make

i got some snowie parts and was far from impressed

it says something when you can see day light through plastic

but yes their communications are terrible and they take forever

i think the only people likely to get the scout lids any time soon are those doing the biker scout project

not the paying customers

tbh if you want a good scout lid get one of chefs

least you know you will get it

• Like 1

So.... still nothing to report huh? Crazy way to run a business.

I talked to Dickey Beer on Sunday, he still hasn't gotten his Fett lid from RS. So that should tell you where we are in the pecking order.

From what I can tell they do top-notch work, but it appears they have no real business leadership-just a bunch of talented guys doing their thing.

I think they should stop taking orders for anything until they clear their current queue.

• Like 1

I am so glad I pulled out and got a refund. I am not dealing with this type of BS...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I think I might look into this as well.

It's truly sad. When I saw this project, I was super excited. This would prove to be on par with LW. Finally, a super accurate bucket produced for many! If only they had a better business model...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk