Closing the visor

Should be getting my KS next week, prebuilt. I have seen people use Velcro to keep it closed and since I have extra I may use that. Just nervous about breaking the new bucket if it gets sealed really tight.

For those using magnets, how do those work for you? Pros and cons of either one?

Velcro is just fine. You might want to reinforce the sideburns as they're typically very thin. You can use the magnet closure if you want. Just stick a magnet on the inside of the sideburn and put a bit of metal where it would touch on the other side. Play around with it until you find what works for you. :)

If you use velcro less is more. I originally put a long strip on the cheek & about 3" piece on the faceplate. Yea it held down nicely, but I could not get it open to save the life of me. I took off both strips & placed about a 1" square on both pieces. Now it secures nice & I can lift my faceplate with little effort. So I reccomend placing a 1" square on the cheeks & faceplate on both sides.

FYI you will want to put the "Hook" or hard velcro on the cheek facing away from you. Don't want that scratching your facce everytime you close the faceplate.

• Like 2

Be careful opening and closing the visor. Mine has a tendency to foul up if I don't push in on the cheeks before closing it. You might also want to heat up some spare ABS bits and glue them to the inside of the back to reinforce the shape. It likes to bow out otherwise.

The joys of owning KS.

If KS built it, there may already be Velcro. The lid I got from them had it.

As the guys pointed out - be careful and enjoy it. You'll need to replace a few things, but nothing major.

IMG_4604b_zps6a37d0e2.jpg

If you look really close on the one available screen used helmet for study, it looks like it is the elastic chin strap that is threaded through the plastic.

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/star_wars_helmets_review_original_jedi_biker_scout_trooper_helmet.htm

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, wrapping up my scout, I noticed that I would have a slight snag in closing the visor as well. After reading everybody's comments, I think I'm going to try magnets first and then hit up the velcro if that's a bust. Thanks for all the suggestions... a smorgasbord of ideas!