before I cut.... what do you think????

• 3 weeks later...

Ok for the shafts of the boots how tall should they be. I know it says just below the knee armor but I don't have any armor yet. I was thinking g about 17 or 18 inches tall from the sole of the boots

• 2 weeks later...

Got my suede being delivered today from Tandy leather. And then the dreaded riding patch. The butt flap should be a simple thing. I have read about the stitching somewhere on how to attach the butt flap but I can't remember where. I am planning on a simple straight stitch to attach it to the under suit and then a zig zag stitch over top to reinforce the attachment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So my helmet has arrived today and I'm so excited to have another piece of the puzzle........Here are some pictures

IMAG0621_zpsf73khk60.jpg

IMAG0622_zps8xwdvrtt.jpg

IMAG0623_zps2x7d47l9.jpg

IMAG0624_zpsrztard2t.jpg

It's a Altmans

Doing the happy dance doing the happy dance

Will post more when I can

• 5 weeks later...

I know that modifications are to be made to the Altman's helmet to be lancer but i don't want to change the helmet....maybe i will get a second helmet when i can and make it lancer quality

I am at a standstill on everything because i need my armor to make the correct shafts of my boots and i can not make my vest without the chest and shoulders. Hopefully i can get my armor in a couple weeks to continue with my build but while I'm waiting i am still researching the suit.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

ok so looking through all the threads for the soft parts I see everyone is worried about the bund drooping.....has anybody attached the flak vest to the bund to eliminate the possibility of a gap between them and make the vest hold the bund in place????

im at a loss with the pouches also. I see many templates and buids and im trying to figure it out and not have a ton of wasted material by messing it up, then again I might be overthinking it

I haven't had any trouble with my bund drooping or slipping. I have no supplemental restraint other than the Velcro closure. I suggest trying that first and then modifying if you find you need additional attachment.

Flakvest must be separate from both the flight suit & the bund for Lancer qualifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

while waiting for my armor funds to accumulate I figured to try and do the pouches. I used batninja's template and a old pillowcase.

IMAG0676_zps5zncfn1a.jpg

IMAG0677_zpsiydjgcb4.jpg

cut it out, did some sewing, and got this......

IMAG0678_zpsezwh5zjy.jpg

added some cardboard to form the pouch

speed laces removed and base boots are done

IMAG0300_zpsb01tmsj8.jpg

Can you tell me what blade type you used here (i.e. angled, flat) and how you approached your cuts? Your cuts are amazing! I just got the same exact boots so I'm following this thread pretty closely. Thanks for posting it!

ok the blade I used is a flat blade pictured below

IMAG0690_zpsppoovr5k.jpg

then I made the cuts from the top down and made sure the blade was through the sole all the way.

removed the blade from the handle while it was still in the boot and used the blade as a stop for the other blade I used to cut into the side of the cuts

IMAG0693_zps6pxp2pcq.jpg

and the cut out piece pops out

for the heel cuts I did the same thing with the flat blade. cut the horizontal line first and left the blade in to stop the blade from going too far when cutting up from the bottom then cut the sides out and the little piece pops out

for the front of the heel in the arch area don't cut too far or it will remove too much of the heel.....

IMAG0696_zpskqi5pood.jpg

hope this helps

One more thing......go slow

• Like 1

Thank you so very much! That's a great technique and really innovative. I wouldn't thought of doing it that way. Reading through the thread I think I've learned to go slooooooowwwww and have band-aids ready and possibly some Neosporin:) Thanks again for taking the time to give me a tutorial I really appreciate it!

-Peter

Finally getting around to finishing boots. Made a template for the shaft out of paper (not pictured) with all the measurements on it and transferred it to the vinyl

IMAG0698_zps8ul8km4c.jpg

Wrote where the hook goes on the inside of the pattern and the two lines to the left are for the top that gets folded over

IMAG0699_zpsmzstarm4.jpg

Used painters tape to hold down the top fold and then heated it along the folded edge between a heavy dish towel to prevent the vinyl from melting

IMAG0700_zpseptlupw2.jpg

IMAG0701_zpsejf0lp2h.jpg

I stitched the top and removed the tape,

Then i stitched the the hook and loop on appropriate sides and got a boot shaft. Slid it over the base boot and glued the sides

IMAG0702_zpsljhqoqzi.jpg

Then i proceeded to do the details on the dog bones...it took alot of trial and error but this is what i got

IMAG0703_zpsceybpjjp.jpg

Added the dogbones to the boots. Glued the entire dogbone down and used the painters tape to hold it in place while the glue dries

IMAG0706_zpstpsblldl.jpg

IMAG0707_zpsd4mdvv0q.jpg

IMAG0708_zpszlqhikps.jpg

Once dry i will add the holster to the right boot