Stasz' WIP

stasz

Thanks, Jason!

Yeah, I wasn't 100% on those rivets that join the "buckle" piece to the two side boxes, but I just wasn't confident in e6000 only, so I went for it. The visible part of the rivet will be painted white.

I made peace with the decision going off the 501st CRL page, which doesn't specifically prohibit rivets under the Basic Clearance section.

In fact, the belt picture in the CRL appears to have FOUR rivets (two per side, plus the rivets joining the webbing).

...dice roll I guess, but I didn't want it coming apart.

Your right. They are in the pic.

Also as good as everything looks so far I'm confident that you could make your own vest. It's easier than it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got crackin' on the flak vest using Scout.trooper's excellent tut.

Got the length and neck cut and hemmed. I'm trying something just a little different with the sleeves:

Instead of removing the sleeves, I opened the bottom seam and flayed the sleeve out, then pinned to the new sleeve "back" and I'll slide the batting inside. More of a sleeve calzone than a sleeve sandwich :)

So far so good.

20150321_144455_edit_1426964728806.jpg

Finished my vest today with the help of my awesome mom :)

20150322_171011.jpg

20150322_171054.jpg

Now, a couple ice cold Silver Bullets, some Pearl Jam on the hi-fi, and I'm not getting up until these thigh boxes and straps are done!

Full suit up today:20150322_193833.jpg20150322_193853.jpg

(I'm missing mud flap and shoulder bridge covers, thigh boxes are just clamped in front to allow for adjustment)

My son Bob - I mean Jango - wanted to get in on the action :)

20150322_195308_edit_1427069376544_1.jpg

• Like 5

A few more pics wrapping up my build:

I did do snap plates on my thigh boxes. Same idea as Panda uses on his buckle piece. I like how it came out:

20150322_172148.jpg

20150328_231910.jpg

I may have gotten a little "snap happy", but I also used snaps to attach my pouches to my bund. I couldn't get them to stay put with Velcro -always ended up crooked- though I still use it under the chest armor to snug them up.

20150328_232203.jpg

And my mudflap: leftover faux suede from the riding patch, finished edge, and sewn to my jumpsuit:

20150328_233054.jpg

To be continued in Stasz' Pre-Clearance Pics!

• Like 1

Well, I haven't trooped with them yet, but they do give with bending/reaching/moving naturally.

I used Dritz hammer-on snaps hoping they wouldn't wad up the bund which they didn't. But it took a little time lining up the male/female halves, just to make sure things didn't pull weird once it was done. I'll give an official result after a troop or two, but aesthetically I really like how the snaps hold the pouches.

Thanks so much, Jim!

I've got the pedal to the metal this week. Really want to button everything up and get my pre-approval pics up here for some critique. ...ithinkicanithinkicanithinkican...

Speaking of HTG, I got my blaster painted.

20150317_192009.jpg

I was going to knock it around a bit to get the metallic aluminum to show up and give it some history, but i decided to let it happen naturally.

No problem there. It will happen naturally for sure. Trust me.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...