My approved Studio Creations build

sleeverob

I wanted to post my personal Studio Creations Biker Scout build with the hopes of others who are building this brand of armor, can learn from my mistakes and techniques. This thread will be long(ish) and contain multiple installations as I dig up old pics. Thank you in advance for reading.

If you haven't decided on an armor, I waould personally reccomend this one. I found the quality excellent as well as the customer service. Jeff, at Studio Creations, kept a good line of communication open, and even sent me a new helmet lens for free.

I waited 6 weeks after I ordered, which seemed like an eternity. The largest thing I had put together before this was a model of a Star Destroyer.

Once I recieved my box, I opened it and layed out all the parts. I would reccommend this, to make sure you aren't missing anything and to learn what the pieces are.

post-78150-0-65017600-1424706066_thumb.png

• Like 3

I would like to share my first mistake. While I was waiting for my armor to show up, I did a lot of reading. However looking back on it I should have spent that wait time also working on the soft parts. Those were the parts that held up my approval pics in the end. So I would reccomend starting with the gloves, the "flight suit", the vest and picking out the boots you want to wear. Do this while you are waiting. (I will change the order I built mine in this thread to reflect this.)

I would wait on the cummerbund and making the boots, as sizing of those are dependent on the armor. I will elaborate later.

• Like 3

Very good advise Steve...i had a similar incident when i got my first legion costume approved, which was a stormie and i was waiting on boots and missed New York Comi-con because of it doh!

• Like 1

I did that first, working with soft parts first while waiting for the armor. Just have the riding patch left to do and I'm done mine. I find that taking your time in baby steps is the way to go. It gets ya in the mood and keeps ha motived. Then when you come here to BSN and see others posts also get my dark force juices flowing...lol

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Lou, I came within days of missing a BIG Halloween parade for my first troop due to soft parts.

So, as I stated before this is not the real order of my build but the order I would reccomend. So let's start with the gloves. I found this one the most frustrating, hopefully those that are building now, do not. I tried to find ESpirit motorcycle gloves, but trying to find gloves from the beginning of the 1980s was as easy as Indiana Jones finding the Arc. After "digging" the internet for them, and coming up empty I just googled motorcycling gloves. I searched through several sites and found the closest to the ESpirit I could find. I double checked with my GML before I bought them.

Materials Needed: 1 yard of suede or faux suede (If you are debating Lancer event a little just get the real suede.) Black industrial thread, a leather sewing needle, thimble, seam ripper, safety pins, a sheet of 8.5x11 paper, regular pencil, white fabric pencil and fabric scissors. I bought one yard of suede because I knew I was going to need it for the butt and crotch of the suit.

First, I drew on the sheet of paper the fingers and the thumb templates making them slightly larger than needed, and then cut them out. I placed each template over the finger and trimmed the edges until they fit just right and matching the CRL. I did each one at a time labeling them. Placing the templates on the suede, I traced them with the white fabric pencil, making sure the "facing side" was down and labeled them.

One by one, I pinned them and began to hand sew them on. It was at this moment I discovered the thimble! Pretty much after my first attempt...that is why it is in the materials list. If you don't have one, get one! You will thank me later. Warning: make sure you keep the needle from going all the way through the bottom layer of the glove insert, it makes it hard to put your hand in. I personally removed the lining from my gloves, because it was like a winter glove. This leads to another mistake, or more of a warning to others. If you remove your lining and then sweat while wearing the gloves your first 10 troops will leave you with black hands!!

Lastly don't forget to use your seam ripper and remove any logos stitched into the glove. I had two I had to remove as well as the hook and loops connections to attach the gloves together.

Another mistake of mine to learn from. Make sure when you buy motorcycle gloves, they don't have reflectors in them! Needless to say I had a "oh shhhhhht" moment when I was taking final approval pictures. Bonus materials needed: Black Painter's marker. :rolleyes:

I think at some point, because they are well worn I may build another set. I may just buy a pair from ImperialBoots.com, at the time I was strapped for cash so I wanted to do it on my own.

post-78150-0-13389900-1424805768_thumb.png

Next, is the "flight suit." This was a turning point in my construction. I took the CRL very literally and I ordered a flight suit from a U.S. Airforce supplier. I had to supply every measurement you could think of. Man was it heavy fabric but was really nice. Not soon after I began having issues with my core temperature. My Dr. believed it was a thyroid condition. Temperatures in the mid 60s began to feel like mid 80s. When I started wearing the flight suit while putting on armor to size it, I became way overheated and woozy.

While talking to my GML at the time, I was informed that it could be a two piece, Dickies/Work Clothes. The fabric was lighter and two pieces that helped me to breathe. I tried this setup and realized this is the way I was going to have to go. At that point I had to give up on my original desire to be a Lancer.

Photos to come.

Surprised your GML didnt point you toward a Redkap suit.

Haha it sucks getting close to them deadlines!

I think the 2 pc is a good idea for the issues you were having, and if its all together well, you wouldnt be able to tell anyway :)

The gloves you made look pretty good! Nice job! You can go sitharmor or wampawear for gloves nowadays..probably easier to find and well priced for a leather glove :) Looking forward to the rest of your build thread :)

Haha it sucks getting close to them deadlines!

I think the 2 pc is a good idea for the issues you were having, and if its all together well, you wouldnt be able to tell anyway :)

The gloves you made look pretty good! Nice job! You can go sitharmor or wampawear for gloves nowadays..probably easier to find and well priced for a leather glove :) Looking forward to the rest of your build thread :)

Well so far no one has been able to tell. Thanks for the glove advise, I may check them out instead now.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I would add some flair to this thread by adding a video of a recent troop for laughs.

http://vid72.photobu...zpsmk1uzrrw.mp4

I thought my Aker in my right pouch was going to fly out.

It was Max's birthday, so I had to lose. :rolleyes:

I thought I would add some flair to this thread by adding a video of a recent troop for laughs.

http://vid72.photobu...zpsmk1uzrrw.mp4

I thought my Aker in my right pouch was going to fly out.

It was Max's birthday, so I had to lose. :rolleyes:

Dude, nice job! There is no way I could pull that off. :)

• Like 1

Just reading through this, a redkap would not have been a better alternative as they can be a heavier material then air force flight suits. If your health is an issue, def always keep that in mind when suiting up. Nothing worse then passing out in gear at a troop. We have that issue every year it seems, at SWW. And Rob, good on you brother for the jump rope lol. I rode a go-kart at a troop with the birthday boy..and I'll never do that again lol. Most uncomfortable thing ever.

• Like 1

Just reading through this, a redkap would not have been a better alternative as they can be a heavier material then air force flight suits. If your health is an issue, def always keep that in mind when suiting up. Nothing worse then passing out in gear at a troop. We have that issue every year it seems, at SWW. And Rob, good on you brother for the jump rope lol. I rode a go-kart at a troop with the birthday boy..and I'll never do that again lol. Most uncomfortable thing ever.

I have been lucky enough not to drop in my Scout or my Rex yet. I want to ride a go-kart! I did ride on an amusement ride at Lego land. I think you meant Steve not Rob. :huh: