Cummerbund/Codpiece update?

Carpeteria

Thanks, bro. Took me 3 attempts to get it about right :) Good thing was I didn't have to do the cummerbund again as it's separate.

I think this is where we should be going. Since at this point in time nothing is visually definitive as to where exactly the cod is attached, just getting the look of the bund on top of the cod should be what we can solidify.

In this thread alone there are several pictures where its "right in front of you" obvious that the cod goes behind the bund. The attachment method shouldnt be as important at this time since we have zero visual proof of HOW its attached.

What Strider did shoudl be accepable, as well as attaching it to the vest if you want to go that route.

The one picture where you see a black space between the bund and the belt is interesting though...that one makes it appear the cod is attached to the belt. But who knows what the deal is with that particular suit.

Im all for the "cod behind the bund" look (reguardless of attachment method) approach until we can get more definitive info.

• Like 1

The one picture where you see a black space between the bund and the belt is interesting though...that one makes it appear the cod is attached to the belt. But who knows what the deal is with that particular suit.

Actually, if you zoom in real close you can see that there's also the white cod piece behind the belt :)

I'm rather new at the BSN so I don't want to play the wise guy but if I had a say I would opt for visual screen accuray (regardless of how the effect was achieved).

Cheers

Yep, just meant to second it ;-)

I thought you were referring to the picture I posted. True, the one from Chef is curious. But then again, do we know where this came from?

this is basically unrelated, but whats with the thigh armor in this pic? could that be the purpose for the elastic on the thighs? just curious. biker_zpsds2hrypn.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have about 3 cummberbuns to build for cadets here and making me a new one, I'm going to use your pattern.

Also a friend suggested "Buckram" to place in the crutch so no camel toe, I will let you know who I go.

Just a little mention, a Cadet (Here in Australia) brought a Cummberbun from the UK, the gentleman said his was Lancer approved. The shock of seeing it was be on belief. The Crutch was a 1/4 of the size and the length of the bun you would of seen it up past his chest plate. I don't know who this person is, but advertising as a Lancer approved product, no padding around the back, the 5 panels where larger than the cod piece by two inches.... the poor lad was green. And just flushed his money down the toilet. I hope no one else gets caught. I just noticed its the one on EBAY.

• Like 1

It took me two goes but I have made another Cummberbund, similar to the Scout Model from the movie.

I did use Buckram, its fairly thick. I have a troop this Saturday so I will be testing it out.

Now that the belt sits around the waist and not on hips, my pockets sit too low, so I know have to make smaller ones so they wont cover the belt. I do feel a tad weird wearing the new one. So see how I go.

I have place my old and the new to show the difference.

IMG_8202_zpszmfnw5rp.jpg

Not my best look, I have a few twigs to work out.

IMG_8193_zps7viabyna.jpg

• Like 2

I have about 3 cummberbuns to build for cadets here and making me a new one, I'm going to use your pattern.

Also a friend suggested "Buckram" to place in the crutch so no camel toe, I will let you know who I go.

Just a little mention, a Cadet (Here in Australia) brought a Cummberbun from the UK, the gentleman said his was Lancer approved. The shock of seeing it was be on belief. The Crutch was a 1/4 of the size and the length of the bun you would of seen it up past his chest plate. I don't know who this person is, but advertising as a Lancer approved product, no padding around the back, the 5 panels where larger than the cod piece by two inches.... the poor lad was green. And just flushed his money down the toilet. I hope no one else gets caught. I just noticed its the one on EBAY.

That's precisely why I discourage being drawn in by "501st Approved" or "Lancer Approved". Whether on eBay, etsy, or even trade forums. "Lancer Spec" is one thing, but "Lancer Approved" is up to the Team.

Are there makers whose work has been approved - even consistently? Absolutely. But it's important to remember that ultimately it's the final fit and finish of the costume - On The Applicant - that makes or breaks approval.

• Like 1

That's precisely why I discourage being drawn in by "501st Approved" or "Lancer Approved". Whether on eBay, etsy, or even trade forums. "Lancer Spec" is one thing, but "Lancer Approved" is up to the Team.

Are there makers whose work has been approved - even consistently? Absolutely. But it's important to remember that ultimately it's the final fit and finish of the costume - On The Applicant - that makes or breaks approval.

Agreed. Very well stated, indeed!

• Like 1

Evening Gentlemen, :)

Next week I will making two new members theirs, in asking would the new cummberbund be approvable? I don't wish to make these for the lads and find out later there is a tiny hitch.

Evening Gentlemen, :)

Next week I will making two new members theirs, in asking would the new cummberbund be approvable? I don't wish to make these for the lads and find out later there is a tiny hitch.

Hi Kelly,

your CB looks good and I also like the "puffy" stlye. However, you might wanna give it a more tapered fit starting from the lower end of the belt. Yours goes straight down and only becomes tapered at the stitched section.

Cheers

Essentially the cod section is separate from the main bund part and goes behind it.

How it was attached is up for debate but the 'rumour' (as yet unconfirmed by public photographic evidence) is that it was attached to the bottom of the flak vest.

Which is why on some shots you can see white over the top of the belt, and on others black. It would just be a case of the torso riding higher to show the black flak vest rather than the white cod part.

But to have it go behind the main bund part and have no 'visible' system of fastening is the screen accurate way of having it.

Also the belt sits very high and the bund either rests directly on the top edge of the belt, or just tucked in underneath it. It does not protrude out below the belt, or in my opinion go anywhere near the bottom edge of the belt at all.

• Like 3

Hi Kelly,

your CB looks good and I also like the "puffy" stlye. However, you might wanna give it a more tapered fit starting from the lower end of the belt. Yours goes straight down and only becomes tapered at the stitched section.

Cheers

Strider, I get it! I can see what you mean, bringing it in a little.

My first attempt I'm going to try and unpick and play with that one. btw i used a stiffener called "Buckram" it will and should cancel out the camel toe.

Chef I agree I can see what your talking about cummberbund sitting on top of the belt , Flak vest never thought of that.mmm let me have a play with that. After I've finished helping these lads.

My problem is my kit its old and I don't have the funds to replace it anytime soon, and being a little one that i am, my chest piece is big so it sits quite low compared to where it should be, then the belt pockets and cummberbund would look correct. I have to just do a little adjusting. So now new pockets made smaller. Oh what fun.

Once I've tapered a little more I will post.

Me and my bright ideas....lol

My Third Attempt! I did how ever unpick my first and used the wrap of the cummberbund ( so that part could be better) and did some handy hand sewing.

I made it so the the cod piece attached by Velcro on the "top" of the bun. The cod piece has "Buckram" in side it as well as the padding.

I trooped today in it, I LOVE IT...It turned out better than I thought, I have to do a couple of twigs but it works no camel two.

Thank you to Strider, I used your Cummberbund as my refer to

I only have the photo of it finished, I will post up photos of the troop to show you.

477058ca-fc42-4ae9-a780-241a6ed02919_zps1gaugipy.jpg

The back looks a little added on, the thought of Velcro to the top came later. if made again I would cut a long piece.

IMG_8214_zps1y7rmzxv.jpg

• Like 1

Found the photo! ...just look at the cod piece, the pockets I need to fix...and my lines are straight, just wasnt sitting ok.

I have to also get the belt right, its my first troop in the new cummberbund.

I had been walking around and bending so it holds up!

IMG_8224_zpsw9giwgfb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Kelly,

Looks much better now. I've also used a piece of thin foam rubber for the lower section of the cod piece (beneath the stitching line) to avoid the 'dreaded' camel toe. Your end section where the cod piece attaches to the 50mm elastic looks just a tad bit too wide. No worries though, took me 3 attempts as well and I'm still not 100% satisfied with it.

Cheers

Ah yes the tapered at the bottom is around 2 inches it was mine so I wasn't perfect on the end bit. I do remember the size changed for smaller to the larger scout..I think

the elastic is what i had, that is 1.5 inches.

I read the elastic is to be 2 inches how wide is your tapered end?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the market for a new Cummerbund and vest...seeing as how all of this new information is being discussed sincerely, would it be wise to wait a bit longer? I've read that there may be some new information regarding the vest as well.

Found the photo! ...just look at the cod piece, the pockets I need to fix...and my lines are straight, just wasnt sitting ok.

I have to also get the belt right, its my first troop in the new cummberbund.

I had been walking around and bending so it holds up!

IMG_8224_zpsw9giwgfb.jpg

Looking good, scout!

this is basically unrelated, but whats with the thigh armor in this pic? could that be the purpose for the elastic on the thighs? just curious. biker_zpsds2hrypn.jpg

Yes you are correct, that is why there are straps on the thighs. Thigh armor obviously didn't make it to the screen but the straps were already on the racing suits. And the straps weren't elastic...

• Like 2

And the straps weren't elastic...

Were they made using Unicorn Tears? Unobtanium? Ya can't keep us in suspense like that... :P