Membership denied by flight suit?

bugdozer

I know someone who is a professional costume designer, who is heavily into various cosplay genres (and is even a Slave Leia from time to time). Since my sewing skills are rubbish, I asked her if she might be able to help me out stitching the suede onto my flight suit. But she got skittish when she found out it was for the 501st and is worried she won't get it to look right for, as she called it "their insanely detailed specifications". I can understand she doesn't want to be the cause of me failing entry. But it occurred to me that in looking through all the in progress builds on here and the UK Garrison board, I've not seen any comments saying "nope, that suede won't pass clearance".

Does anyone here know of membership being denied due to that issue alone? It seems to be hard to get it wrong.

Now they could have had relaxed gmls also. I've seen great costumes denied like our grevious for example, who's costume was built by my wicked armor, but some that were approved and you dont know how they passed

I have seen scouts without the mud flap and patch who were approved. They simply said that you can't see it in the pics.

Maybe, but it's in the CRL's, so unless they were cleared years ago before it was added, it really should be on the suit.

Simon, just do lots of test templates until you two get the right size and placement. Then it's just getting the suede and 2" leg elastics sewn on.

I've never heard of a non clearance due to suede, myself and Chef look after the WIP's on the UKG for scouts, you would have to get in majorly wrong to get pulled up on it, since there is no 100 % accurate pattern for them! it's just a case of getting it to look right on you.

Regarding getting clearance by pretending it was there, there maybe a slim chance they may get away with it, but on the first troop, when they get branded. We give the costume one last going over, at that point things would get pulled up. Dishonest troopers I'm sure would get a slap on the wrist ;)

The patches was something I brought in maybe 4-5 years ago along with the vests, so there is older cleared costumes still about, which is probably what you are seeing.

So in short Simon, use the templates on here. Re size them on a printer, to suit bro and sew them on ;)

4-5 years ago....

Is it really that long?? Blimey time flies.

I wouldn't worry about it, we don't have "insanely detailed specifications".... their perfectly sane, just detailed!

If your seamstress requires ay pointers, just shout up and either Marcel or I can assist.

• Like 1

I always wanted to be a Scout Trooper & the 1st one I saw up close & personal was back in 2009. He still had the military flightsuit. Then I went to A Celebration in Florida. I was sitting outside my hotel having breakfast & a Scout walked by. Immediately something caught my eye. He had a riding patch & mud flap. As I had never seen these on the movie or heard of this before I dove into the costume research. Thats when I learned the movie costumes had these.

When I made my suit I tried to use the template on here. I made it out of paper. But when it did not match up in the crotch area & I didnt like this. So I looked at my military bdu's(they have a crotch patch) modified this slightly & came up with my own pattern. I've made lots of riding suits Badic & Lancer for Peeps here & never had an issue with one.

Talked to one guy in my garrison and he said he was in fact approved before it was added to the crl and didn't upgrade. I must say that his costume does look rough compared to the other scouts we have. His boots are different as well. Almost like the whiter rubber fishing boots

I was one of those Approved without the suede and mud flap, but since the new CRL was updated and my son armoured up as a scout being approved with the Mud flap and Suede, When making his I redid mine. Also helped another Squad member upgrade theirs.

If a member can add these upgrades it would help them looking less par compared to their fellow Squad members adding a more uniform. Sometimes you may find, a little help from Squad members could be the go.

Simon do you have photos of the work she has done, everything is fixable, unpicking and just readjusting if there is a problem

I hope my friend's passes clearance as it is, it was such a pain in the arse. XD I traced the patch onto her pants directly using a white crayon, and transferred that to a pattern. We cut the patch out in the microsuede (accounting for seam allowance) and it looked fine, but when I gave it to her husband to sew onto the pants, it ended up being smaller than what I'd traced onto the pants. o.O Hopefully it'll be alright. I think I'm gonna post up in here for pre-clearance before she submits, just to be sure.

I'm also doing this for another friend's pants (good practice for my own, I figure), and after wrestling with the sewing machine I just decided to hand-sew it on. It's already hand-basted. But it looks good, so I suppose that's all that matters. Lol.

I was one of those Approved without the suede and mud flap, but since the new CRL was updated and my son armoured up as a scout being approved with the Mud flap and Suede, When making his I redid mine. Also helped another Squad member upgrade theirs.

If a member can add these upgrades it would help them looking less par compared to their fellow Squad members adding a more uniform. Sometimes you may find, a little help from Squad members could be the go.

Simon do you have photos of the work she has done, everything is fixable, unpicking and just readjusting if there is a problem

I'll say the scout I met grandfathered in was a very poor example of an inspiring scout and my co was sure to point that out to me.

Marcel....whoops my bad..a tad ahead of myself...

Ah got ya Jeremy

Sara! the exact same thing happened to me, I too used the pattern cut it out added extra for the seam, and they where too small, I was lucky enough not to sew them on, after I ironed the fold and pinned them to the pants, they just didnt look right, so I used the small ones as my starting point to trace another set making them Larger and it worked.

• Like 1

On my suits I made a basic pattern & adjusted the size to the suit I was making. Normally the pattern I have will fit most troopers. But I did make a couple small ones & I had to down size it. I even had one extra large trooper that I had to upsize it. But of all the suits I've made wanna say these were the only 3 I had to maodify.

JUST REMEMBER

If your trying on the suit with the riding patch in place WITH OUT armor on it will look totally different. With out armor on my suit rides low & the patch hits my knees, but when Im wearing the bund the thong pulls everything up a couple inches & it sits perfect when the whole costume in on. ;)

• Like 3

That's a great point about the bund, I'll have to remember that for mine!

MJ - Yeah, i'm planning on using a straight-up pattern on mine and cutting them too big, so I can scale them down if needed.