helmet question

Ghost11c

Hi guys, I'm finally able to get started and I'm leaning towards SC armor. They offer the combo with the bucket included for an extra 2 bills. So after reading threads for the past two days, I'm wanting more opinions on bucket choice. I would like you guys opinion on Moncal, SC, KS, or any others you guys have and recommend. In the SC site they recommend another brand for some reason. The rubie. Not sure why. Thanks guys.

the SC is the smallest of the biker scout helmets. You really have to factor a few things when getting a bucket;

1. your budget

2. your head size

3. how screen accurate you want it to be

Studio Creations is a smaller helmet and may be uncomfortable for people who have bigger heads. It is overall very good quality (can be if you make it) with only a few screen inaccuracies particularly in the faceplate. It is one of the more relatively affordable options and it looks great.

Kropserkel is the cheapest kit that you can get and is pretty durable and lightweight, it is a larger helmet and will fit people with bigger heads but suffers some screen accuracy issues such as the nose greeblie that it comes with and the faceplate and overall height of the helmet is not correct but it is still a relatively nice helmet.

The MLCV3 is a nice fiberglass helmet that comes put together and primed ready for paint. It is a little on the smaller side but looks pretty accurate aside from the visor which is a little too squared off but otherwise looks great. It is one of the pricier helmets as I believe it costs around the $300-$400 area but I am not 100% sure about that.

If you are lucky enough you can get a lonewolf kit which I believe is fairly priced and is the most screen accurate kit available and Is even the correct size compared to the original helmet. Lonewolf (the creator) is a member here on bsn but he is a very busy guy and only runs very limited numbers of these so if you get the chance to buy one DO NOT WAIT! As it is the most sought after helmet on this forum.

If you have a bigger head but want a more screen accurate helmet than kropsekel you can get a cucblack helmet as it is pretty accurate and looks nice. I am not sure about pricing but it is made out of fiberglass so it may be on the higher end. Cucblack is a member here on this forum and he is the creator of that helmet.

As far as Rubies goes do not waste your money. They are made out of vinyl and get warped to hell and are a pain in the a@$ to modify just to get a basic clearence. Same with don post for that matter but the 97 don post is a lot better quality than rubies.

If you can afford it EFX has the ultimate Scout helmet that is made using master patterns from the original molds used to make the original screen used helmets you see in Return of the Jedi. It is the most screen accurate in terms of dimensions and looks but the limited edition is made of fiberglass which is not what was used in the originals. The downside is they cost $700 to $900 depending on which edition you get. But that is because it is more of a collectors piece than a troopable helmet. An absolutely beautiful helmet though.

• Like 9

I consider those more of a collectable then something I'd troop in. Especially at the price.

I'd join your local garrison's message boards. Find a troop that you can go help handle at. Meet some people. Hopefully there will be a scout there that will let you try on their helmet. I have a KS and have done that many times to let people get a feel for the size of the helmet.

• Like 4

I have the MLCv3 and I love it. Be aware that it's not the helmet that you see as MC. I love the fiberglass style because it's an actual helmet. One time on a troop I bumped my head on the inside edge of a SWAT truck and it's protected perfectly and didn't even affect the helmet. I doubt I'd feel the same about an ABS helmet but that's going to be personal preference. Chex is totally right, try to get out and help at a troop and hopefully you'll meet a scout that you can check out. That's what I did. Good luck!

• Like 2

where is this MLCv3? dont think i saw that one yet. I met with members of my area yesterday. great group and there were a couple of scouts. The group pic even made the 501st FB main page today. They were nice enough to let me see the armor when they changed out. seeing the armor first hand really helped and it doesnt look as tough as is does in pics. both scouts there had KS kits.

I guess it comes down to preference, but i want to hit lancer status with the initial build. don't want to go back after the fact.

The MLCv3 was made by Mardon, but MC sells them with his kit. The Altmanns is quite a large bucket, my wife troops with one, not because she gas a big head, more as that's what I had on the shelf lol. I use a MLC also, but am waiting for a LW for myself, the. Il give mine to the wife :)

• Like 2

I've been wearing a KS for over 4 years now. It's slid off the roof of my car onto pavement, been bumped around and it's still good.

I'm looking forward to getting my eFX helmet; might even troop in it if it's big enough.

Another helmet that hasn't been mentioned is the new RS Props helmet. It's not available yet, but from what I understand, it should be sometime during the late spring/early summer. It'll be cast from an original production-made helmet.

• Like 3

I have an LW and love it....but they are a little hard to come by :) Ive had KS, MLCv3 ...i like the LW best, the MLCv3 was very nice and pretty durable, but the KS was light and i did like that. In those respects the LW is right in the middle. Thicker gauge plastic, light weight and a VERY sturdy helmet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, where can I find the MLCv3?

yes, im new and still learning. lol

did attend an armor party over the weekend! was cool to see so many builds happening

I have the KS. Yes it has accuracy problems right out of the box but they are easily fixed. The helmet is lightweight and spacious. I trooped with a fellow scout two days ago who has a MLC. After about an hour or so into the troop, he mentioned that the fiberglass was starting to feel heavy.

I've also let some folks who were curious about being a scout but were nervous about the bucket sizes try on the KS -- they were all convinced that that was the way to go.

I am going to go for Lancer right off the start. even though its my first build, i feel confident in making that happen. I was feeling pretty good about my bucket choice, then read some dis-concerning news about one of the vendors. So I'm on the hunt again LOL

It sounds like a personal choice so far, but want most screen accurate that I can get for reasonable price.

• Like 1

I consider those more of a collectable then something I'd troop in. Especially at the price. I'd join your local garrison's message boards. Find a troop that you can go help handle at. Meet some people. Hopefully there will be a scout there that will let you try on their helmet. I have a KS and have done that many times to let people get a feel for the size of the helmet.

the garrison wont approve me onto the message boards until I'm "in" the 501st

i thought so too. When i went to an armor party over the weekend I asked about it. On the site it shows Im registered but dont have access. They told me it would be approved when I get legion membership. Oh well, I got you guys still LOL