KS helmet build

Spycee

So I got a KS helmet for my wife, for her birthday :)

Maybe I've been spoiled by my Authentic Props TK kit, but this helmet quality is ... meh. "B grade" AP helmets are better than that. There's a small brown scratch on the side that doesn't go, and plastic is a bit unevent at some places. But it seems all of the same color, so I got that going for me, which is nice. Well, I have to look at it more closely with a good lighting source to be sure, it's a bit dark in the house.

The shipping was relatively fast, less than a month, so I'm happy :)

I ordered a better snout piece from Darth Voorhees, and the replacement hardware from kwdesigns. I need to order the new stickers.

I'll go search for a good tutorial on how to build it, I'm not sure about how to use the replacement hardware.

I'll post some pictures of the build soon.

Oh, and I will surely have a lot of questions for the experts !

Thanks for the move !

The quality may be meh, but my wife was still very very happy :)

And since my son wants one too it will be a good experience, while waiting for walt to finish his children scout armor.

• Like 2

Their pulls are very rough. But they clean up pretty nice.

I started trimming the pieces :

I don't see how I can assemble the back piece with the top piece without a big seam (is it the right word ?) ... I mean it is VERY easy to see the line of separation.

The part over the face doesn't align right on the 2 sides : one seems not bad but th other doesn't feel "right", I must work on it.

Are there good pictures of one during the building ? I'm very curious to see how it would compare to mine. I found some picture of the finished helmet and a couple during the building, but not on the angles I want to see.

Thanks !

Here are some pictures :

I'm not exactly sure how to stop trimming, I'm going little by little :

MZByYrLl.jpg

Also here I'm not sure about the trimming. I'll finish it once the face piece will be in place. AP9sowSl.jpg

This side seems ok, needs some more trimming :

3DcJS57l.jpg

This side doesn't seem to fit correctly. The curve in the middle of the main helmet piece is more acute (right word ?) than on the other piece :

15dUU51l.jpg

those "seams" where the flip visor and the helmet come together (remember these helmets are made to flip up) are not symmetrical, there is one side with a smoother angle then the other, so dont try and trim them both smooth or you'll "ruin" the look. Look at screen grabs and study them very carefully so you get a feeling of where the "wonkyness" is supposed to be, just like your TK lid, it has specific imperfections that make it "right"

and yes, you have been spoiled by that RS Propmasters helmet, as far as I know there are no scout lids that come as close to the original as that RSPM lid does to that TK lid.....

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress... Far from finished, held together with Velcro and tape :

SmO7KrW.jpg

The 2 sides are not of the same length, so I'll have to cut and I'm a bit scared to do a mistake. From what I see I have to cut a part of the right side of the mask to align it correctly with the part over the mask. I'll take a picture of that to show.

• Like 1

Here are some more pictures :

This side (left side) aligns properly :

oYtm5cdl.jpg

The right side doesn't align :

6esxyAPl.jpg

I have to cut the mask piece to align it correctly. If I try to align the 2 sides, the top part doesn't align and lean (I think it's the right word ?) on one side.

What it look on the inside, is it too close from the border ? :

hIbSxeKl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress made. I tried to enlarge the lenses a bit, don't know if it's visible. I may need to enlarge it again.

bkGZOydl.jpg

I used snaps to keep the face at the right place :

eeRxnM4l.jpg

And I painted in black the back of the ears :

GQToFnJl.jpg

I used a screw to keep the snout in place, so I can remove it if I need to :

UYbVqMkl.jpg

Here's the result of the front. I need to repaint arount the snout, when I screwed it the snout moved and scratched the paint :-(

R8qdMBLl.jpg

Here's the left side :

RVNe91Nl.jpg

And the right side. I need to shorten the strap.

PVtdy6Dl.jpg

Now I need to get the "good" stickers from TrooperBay, and find a comfortable padding. After that it will be done :-)