My attempt at a more accurate codpiece

BikerScout007

Inspired by the Costumes book as well as Gino's life sized-scout, I lopped the codpiece off Marcel's cummerbund and had my seamstress (aka Mom) create a separate piece that would go under the bund and attach to the flight suit.

20141116_200042_zpswujuyrzo.jpg

I think one piece that's critical to get right if you're going for a more accurate look, is that the cod doesn't go too far between the legs. The cod should really end below the front part of the crotch and not wrap below.

Also, if you look at the chevron, it's not really that curved. The lines are straight but the apex is just curved.

Looks good, but be sure that the bund is a bit higher at the bottom to give clearance for the belt. ;)

• Like 1

The chevron is either too high or yoir bund too long to achieve the targeted look. I think the latter isbthe case.

As the belt is meant to sit right under the bund it would cover or at least touch your chevron.

Atm it is similar to mine where the belt has to cover part of the front of the bund to not look silly.

So I advise to do it all anew anytime.

• Like 1

As it is now, the belt come covers the bottom of the bund. Obviously I'm working with a bund that is too long because it was designed with the old style codpiece in mind. I'll probably replace it at some point but for now it looks good once the gear is all on. Way better than it did before. And at least now I can wear the belt above my hips.

The other thing I wanted was for the codpiece to fit looser. If you look at the film, the cods were not really contoured to the trooper's body. These four dudes are just standing around and none of their codpieces are all that tight

ROTJ-cummerbund_zps68858eec.png

It still looks tight in your selfie though.

I think it os difficutl to achieve a lose look. Also screen references appear to me to have a tighter look as a manequin based presentation.

And finally I disagree that the length of the bund is an error due to the technique the crotch is attached or not attached to the bund rather than a complete misconception of the shape of the bund in the whole.

This is a result of multiple factors of understanding and production of the costumes - especially our replica costumes.

But this is something we all suffer from...it is a vicious cycle of limitations in capacities or possibilites varying from individual to individual.

I wish we really could standardize costumes like these. But it is not possible and some even don't like the concept of uniforms although they actually want to wear a uniform.

• Like 1

thanks for the input guys! It's a work in progress but I'm happy so far

Honestly, i think it looks great. Is it perfect, no, but our older cods were completely wrong.

Whats funny is ..i just did the same thing last night. Its not perfect, but it is way better than my last one. Yours looks a little better shape wise than mine. I will at some point redo my entire bund but for now i just wanted the "cod" to be wider at the top and i filled it with 6mm craft foam instead of batting and it worked great!

• Like 1

One thing is for sure, Lou -- it is way easier on the ol' scout jewels! ahem.....

• Like 1

It's a little easier to tell with the armor on, but I can now wear my belt at a more natural height, since I didn't have to push it down low to mask how short the codpiece is. I will probably take an inch or two off the bottom of the cod so it doesn't wrap under too much

20141117_121311_zpsn13gyasu.jpg

• Like 4

Looks good. And browline glasses FTW!!

Skickat från min LG-D802 via Tapatalk

Hahahaha, thanks Patrik! If only the glasses would fit when I have my bucket on

Which helmet you are using?

Now that my visor is able to flip I wwould have no provlems but still don't use it due to fogging issues and the fact I still see clear and sharp enough for trooping.

However I'm one of the smaller scouts and may have an advantage depending on helmet brand.

KS. It's okay though. I only need my glasses for reading.