Storm Commando Costume?

Guest soulrelic616

Guest soulrelic616

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and I've been thinking of finally getting myself a prop to wear to the (hopefully many) SW events to come in the future.

First off - I'd like to know if this is the right detachment to belong if I decide to get a Storm Commando armour as it is very similar to the Scout Trooper set.

I am based in the UK - are there any good suppliers from where I can get the armour from?

I have found this link:

http://studiocreations.com/howto/bikerscout/bike_armorforsale.html

The maker is US based but it sounds like he knows his business, I checked the Original Stormtrooper site (as he's UK based) but I'm afraid he doesn't do the Scout Troopers armour... Are there any other suppliers I should be aware of?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers :)

The SC link is a great choice. I just received a new set of armor from him last month.

Im not sure what a storm commando looks like. Is that the one that is a mixture of several costumes? I think only the Scout helemt is used, with a Snowtrooper chest plate & others trooper parts? Wanna say black jumpsuit & gray armor, this it?

Sometimes the shadow scout gets confused with the storm commando, due to the similarities. Bikerscout.net does not own that particular costume though. You can check out http://www.501stspecopsdet.net/ for that costume. The guys over there would be more then happy to take care of ya with any and all questions you have.

If you ever want to build a scout or kashyyyk trooper though, this is the place to be. Also, check with your local garrison as well. There are some talented people there (Marcel, Chef, Andy) that can point you in the right direction.

• Like 2

Don't get me started on the Storm Commando/ Shadow Scout argument!

I'm sure we'll see you straight over on the Spec Ops board (Jim and I are over there), but feel free to ask here too. I monitor both sections, so just carpet bomb them... I should notice.

Welcome aboard.

• Like 2

Guest soulrelic616

Hello all!

Many thanks for the warm welcome :).

I joined the Specops detach, hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction - I'm a bit at a loss at the moment as I wouldn't mind to get a regular scout armour if that one is the most accessible. So far the only Shadow scout suppliers I found are based overseas and the customs thing becomes an issue when purchasing the armour...

And yup... Shadow Scout vs Storm Commando seems to be one of those arguments that never end, looked on Wookiepedia and there it says that both are the same, but who knows heh!

Cheers!

They are both the same.

Technically, the term 'shadow scout' is a Rebel coined phrase for them.

The Imperial designation is a "Storm Commando".

We know this quite simply because in the various comics and source material, General Weir is described as a Storm Commando, and he wears the same armour as the scout. As does his troops in the same sequence.

Obviously between the comics, the WEG drawings and some other artist impressions, there are a number of differences, which has lead to some confusion.

The 501st chose to use the two different designations to describe the different variants.

Incorrectly in my opinion.

I've got you over on Spec Ops bud.

• Like 1

But did they??

Considering NO-ONE has as yet attempted to clear any of the other derivatives, there currently is no requirement to make the distinction.

And when someone does... it can be simply classified by it's source origin. "Storm Commando - WEG" for example, much in the same vein as "Stormtrooper - ANH stunt".

Yeah, we all know the differences. None more so than the chaps over at Spec Ops. But by and large, the most consistent is base Scout derivative. But as with all "EU" stuff, there will always be some artistic differences. It happens even within the same artist base, but they are essentially the same thing.

But then that's not my argument.

They have thus far chosen a Rebel colloquialism as the main way to describe them.

Considering it's the 501st, which as far as I am aware is an Imperial unit, you'd have thought they would have used the Imperial designation in the first instance.

Which is Storm Commando.

Their choice is, in my opinion, just a sloppy follow on from the adoption of the "shadow" prefix for any troop choice that happens to be an all black variant of an existing costume.

Maybe we should have just called them all "Brian" (only the UKG guys will get this.... sorry).

I agree and I only disagreed in that point regarding the need for distinction.

I have been both; membership liaison and detachment leader when this was decided under Thomas' helm if I remember correctly. Well anything EU is something he takes very serious. And I for one support it.

Actually I was aiming at Westend Version that time evven thoigh it is more difficult due to helmet not being based on a biker helmet but a crossbreed of thos one and the base being a german ww2 helmet.

Wehather the two should be defined as seperate units or not - well jere I am with you. I think that just makes it unnecessarily complicated and as you say TK remains TK no matter if anh/esb/rotj ...

Well they could have incorporated TD into this as well as I see not difference but the equipment while Snowtroopers and scouts have an entirely different gear. But I'm not a fan of legion logic concerning abreviation and categorisation system anyways.

I'm planing on doing a black biker scout and i like the storm commando name way better than Shadow scout, and it makes sense as Chef has pointed out....so thats what im gonna call it personally.

I may take the extra step and fabricate some of the commando specific parts ive seen in some drawings like the thigh armor and shins and fore arms..but i guess we'll see. I like the standard black scout helmet over most of the artist interpretations, except i do like the different looking snout detail.