current costume V 1.5 - a story

TB-7076

Dear reader

For starters I apologize that this resumée evolved in quite a wall of text - maybe you take the time to work it through or maybe you just enjoy some pictures ;)

TB-7076 V 1.0-1.5 Scout Trooper (Approved)

This is not a new one but somehow my old thread got lost in the wilderness and as there is no real showroom here I take the freedom to present an old-new costume.

Actually the costume hasn't really changed in looks within the 5 years after its approval but there definately have been improvements over time. Some subtle one major.

This is how it started out in 2009, V 1.0 and basically accompanied me the last 5 years

old4angles.png

oldendorbunker.jpg

oldspeeder.jpg

Specifications:

• armor: MC
  • detonator greeblies: custom made (main board parts) / improvised attachment
  • helmet: DP modified with MC Snout, decals some internet source / lens laser cut by SL-9135 / bolts M3 / lining foam
  • overall: modified CB crew overall
  • cummerbund, vest, pouches: individually made by a professional theatrical dress studio
  • boots: leather chaps sewn on sneaker base by a leather manufacture
  • pouch strapping: improvised attachment (tape + metal band)
  • blaster: HS stunt rubber blaster
  • belt: original polyester-band belt got changed later to US pistol belt for more stability
  • gloves: Esprit Originals (black lining / tan suede dyed black)

subtle innovations:

arm protectors held by modified biking elbow guard

elbowguards.jpg

pouch strapping clipped to vest and belt preventing pouches from flipping while in extreme poses or movement and helping holding the belt in place

pouches.jpg

vest-cummerbund combo with the vest featuring fishnet cooling window at chest height

vest02.jpg

open topped cardboard box for pouches to remain in shape and still be functional

unfortunately I haven't spend much time yet developing a solution in soft plastic to be rain proof

(no picture)

The basic soft goods and armor haven't changed except for wear.

Among some cracks in the armor the most annyoing "damage" is the rubbed of and brittle surface of my boots. This is a result of using wrong type of leather to build the boot around the sneakers.

I wanted to have a leather texture but not too coarse to match the reference.

Additionally the boots have a major flaw in the way how the toe tip sides are covered...something the leather worker misunderstood.

As I was lucky enough to aquire High-Tec boots almost matching the originals and due to the fact I have to re-do the entire costume anyways this is something I can live with for the next time.

bootstoday.jpg

I changed the functionality of the belt and strapping which is not finished as I type due to some better fitting parts missing. But compared to the quite improvised construction an improvement.

Btw. the strapping and soft goods are one of the reasons I never applied and actually don't qualify for lancer status even though some have thought I should have.

beltensemble.jpg

strapping.jpg

The flipped termal det greeblies is something I have to blame myself. I totally messed it up trying to realize a better functionality prior to an event in the midst of the night...unconcetrated and in haste to get at least some two hours of sleep. Well armor has to be changed anyways...and a simple change of the decals of the tank, left visor and the holster would make it almost screen accurate again ;)

newmiserabledet.jpg

The biggest improvement is the LW helmet.

I owned two MLC helmets before (V1, V2.5) but never wore them as something was missing.

The lack of the "cheek bones" of the face mask and the typical edges of the visor really spoiled it for me. So I chose to stick with a modified Don Post for almost 5 years.

I got the rare LW in 2012 but due to other commitments and fear to mess it up it just dwelled in a corner.

This year I made the decision that this undeserved fate has to end.

I'm a good researcher and have eye for details and the creativity to realize quite a lot of things even in costuming but I completely suck when it comes to execute that stuff.

So with the help of a friend a complete desaster could be avoided.

newlwhelmet.png

I know it is a shame and blasphemous considering how rare and hard to get this helmet still is.

However it still works and I'm amazed how different the whole costume looks just for this single swap.

Please bear with me - I didn't noticed the thigh boxes slipped so they're misplaced in these pictures :unsure:

new4angles.png

newaction.jpg

• armor: MC
  • NEW! helmet: LW with MC snout / lens laser cut by SL-9135 / bolts + liner M3
  • NEW! amp (not installed yet): PowerAmp by CT-2260 / Sony-Erricson cell phone buzzer/speaker
  • NEW! detonator greeblies: DJ / clamps and back wall added
  • overall: modified CB crew overall
  • cummerbund, vest, pouches: individually made by a professional theatrical dress studio
  • boots: leather chaps sewn on sneaker base by a leather manufacture
  • NEW! pouch strapping: added eyelets and clasps connecting to belt
  • NEW! belt: british courlene belt with US pistol belt buckle/ belt and utility belt as seperate items
  • gloves: Esprit Originals (black lining / tan suede dyed black)
  • blaster: HS stunt rubber blaster

The last modifications this rig will get

until it get replaced by two new versions (Two because of Endor deployed/death star assembly) is weathering. Most armor parts already feature dirt and scratches and the helmet will benefit from a weathered look to cover up some of the flawed construction.

To return more closer to the original belt look I found a stronger webbing of the same polyester material but different weaving pattern. The functionality is more important to me than using the correct material as long as the impression remains the same.

newbelt.jpg

Maybe I decide to switch from vinyl decals to water slide decals (found a small business doing these)

Oh...and add electronics which are already with me :)

poweramp.jpg

scoutsnout.png

The future

I'm getting an EFX helmet around christmas. This will be a possibility to compare the LW and the original shape and maybe there will be new fan made helmets on base of this new knowledge and possibility to compare the creations next to a real life object.

I have the High Tec boots to base at least one pair of boots or to be able to reproduce them.

They will be scanned again with a better 3D scanner so that cleaning the scan and adding the missing ridge will be far easier than using the current.

In the meantime I have to source possibilities for a solution to copy these or even get whole boots made but as I have high expectations and don't want to waste these boots - I have no problem to remain patient until the right partners are found.

In the last five years there were some smaller discoveries and lately new information about the costume. There migh be more ahead - we still have unanswered questions but the whole picture is almost complete. Based on this knowelege I try to realize one - ideally two - new costumes of this SW character.

As we got a lot of new pictures and close ups we can also recognize that there is a lot of room for improvement of existing armors. Some easy stuff already got incorporated in some of the newer creations some areas are still neglected. Chances for fresh blood and high spirited craftsmen to give it another try as I doubt the majority of established armor sources are motivated to do it all anew. At least the past has shown exactly that pattern.

In the soft parts area we also have new informations and riddles challenging those striving to improve their gear.

As we have the sequels around the corner and probably a buttload of new costumes all these things depend a bit on how much attention the original scout is losing.

We already see a lot of people selling their scouts for new character projects.

So maybe we're already at the peak of the development of this one - maybe even beyond.

A lot of stuff to think about and to plan until a version 2.0 is realistic.

• Like 5

First of all - thanks for the nice words.

Wow...great work! I love the idea of having a speaker in the front.

I guess the only problem is the shielding speaker versus microphone as they're close to each other.

To circumvent this I am using micro speakers so that the speaker in the snout tube has more distance also room wise.

There will be a small felt pad to act like a shear wall. I have lost a link to some self adhesive foil which also acts as a shield between mic and speaker. I just hope the buzzer speakers are loud enough - a clone in my garrison already uses this system just with two speakers in the larger and even more distant aerators. He actually also developed that amp.

Some people advised to install larger speakers behind the "ears" but that would limit my ability to hear and the sound origin being unauthentic. Even though it would be a better option than having the sound source at chest height or else.

Just yesterday the audience was so close - literally in my face - so this would have been strange.

Also because it would be even more obvious that there is some mumbling under the helmet and a voice coming from elsewhere ;).

So this is my motivation - Not only to improve communication but to simulate real functionality making the illusion even more believable. Let's hope it works :)

• 8 months later...

TB-7076,

I just joined BSN, and am now starting my quest for excellency in Biker Scout costuming. I have been reading these forums, and found several sources of inspiration. Some of the content you posted here really stands out to me. You have the passion, and it is enabling your costume to shine! Thanks for taking the time to post. It will help others in achieving the best scout look.

I just noticed that you're in Germany. Your English is very good, if it is not your first language. Are you German-born?

-Nikko