ORIGINAL BIKER SCOUT part search!!!

gino

Yea I noticed that... I am trying to figure the dimensions out... Similar style though - the pic I posted was from a boat vendor but they make the molding a ton of sizes. I am going to run it by a restoration place soon

If he didn't give the cross section view I would totally agree with that Griffin.. But from the cross section it doesn't appear to have any actual wire in it and is just a channel. I still think a nice piece of pool vacuum hose would look nice and close -- used to be able to get a light gray and black type at the swimming pool store I worked at

• Like 2

I should probably say that the pic I posted showing the cross section (the one with the measurements on it) is not of the actual stuff. I just used it as a way to illustrate dimensions.

No idea if it has a channel or if it is solid, but my personal guess is that it does.

But it most definitely is square in shape and not rounded.

• Like 2

That looks sort of promising.

Do you have any that you could do a test with?

Take some pics from a few different angles as a singular wire and not doubled up?

Also, looks like the color is a bit more cream instead of grey but maybe this could be worth exploring.

I have to trim some off so yea, I could wrap some around a PVC pipe or tube to see. The color is definitely off as it is cream but I am sure it comes in different colors depending on brand. I will get some cut up for this weekend just to see how it looks. Thoughts on the diameter of the piece it is wrapped around?

• 3 months later...

yes, but with no positive results so far.

However I noticed that this part might be incomplete! If you look at the bottom part of the rectuangular body you see artifacts of something that was cut or sanded away. It might have been part of the object or again joints of some sort to attach to another part.

It wouldn't be the first part that was only used partially and modiefied.

So maybe we have to look a bit more careful.

bicep_rp.jpg

This looks like it could be a rear sight of a handgun. Here is a pic of a more modern rear sight.

edcbb298aaa63ea0e4e69a609e2169b5_zpsbkzwpirh.jpg

• 8 months later...

I have some old phone wires at home, i'll see if I can dig them out and see how they match up. Probably early 90's manufacture, USA purchased.

Also, for the webbing, first thing that popped in my mind was US Army cotton BDU belt, old style, not the new nylon crap. Image below. I know they (used to at least) have a white core. I know in the early 80's they were easily available genuine issue, not so much any more. Also, the dress uniform black belts were slightly elastic.

One small problem with this is they are 1.25 inches, not 2".

I wonder if they are made that wide somewhere?

What do you think??

gap-hematite-military-buckle-cotton-webbing-belt-product-1-4036309-757021247_large_flex.jpeg

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

• Like 1

I have some old phone wires at home, i'll see if I can dig them out and see how they match up. Probably early 90's manufacture, USA purchased.

Also, for the webbing, first thing that popped in my mind was US Army cotton BDU belt, old style, not the new nylon crap. Image below. I know they (used to at least) have a white core. I know in the early 80's they were easily available genuine issue, not so much any more. Also, the dress uniform black belts were slightly elastic.

One small problem with this is they are 1.25 inches, not 2".

I wonder if they are made that wide somewhere?

What do you think??

Actually, the webbing for the hip boxes is 1.5" wide. My only concern with using the cotton webbing from a web belt is that it's typically much thicker than what was probably used. Given the amount they needed, they likely got it in bulk, on a roll.

The white webbing that attached the plastic bits and thermal det was 2" white nylon webbing.

• 3 months later...

Okay I saw Gino at Wondercon a few weeks ago and promised I would resuscitate this thread for him.

So any members, new, old... doesn't matter. There's a part hunt going on! If you see something, say something!

• Like 2