ORIGINAL BIKER SCOUT part search!!!

gino

Actually those parts are known. MC revealed them in 2006 here and offers them since then with his kit or single.

I personally prefer the casts of MC as they're very very sharp though my deto greebleis are from DJ.

So most detail parts of the scout armor are already known:

Snout Grill = Tamiya Yamaha Midnight Special 1:8 Cylinder half with cooling ribs

Snout "Speaker" = ? some aerator or random tubular object

Tank Topper "button" = Tamiya Gepard 1:32 Radar dish of the front radar

Tank Topper "small Greeblies" = Tamiya Gepard 1:32 mount halves of afore mentioned radar

Tank Topper "gas cap" = ? - might be scratch built

Tank Topper "cooling fins" = ?

Tank Topper base = ? - might be scratch built

bicep upper greeblie = AMC/Ertl TIE Advanced (Vader's TIE) Solar pannel detail

bicep lower greeblie = ?

"Thermal detonator" or unspecified tech accessory in the back button = Tamiya Gepard 1:32 Radar dish of the front radar

"Thermal detonator" or unspecified tech accessory in the back button = ? One piece revealed by chef but no mentioning of the source

"Thermal detonator" or unspecified tech accessory in the back clip = ?

"Thermal detonator" or unspecified tech accessory in the back cable/wire = ?

Liner and visor caps = M3 speedglas headband (can't quote the fabricate number form memory ;) )

Thigh box strapping buckles = type used still common and available

Would be cool to find and identify the other parts as well.

Problem is - they probably used quite a lot stuff apart from the model kits or model kits that weren't identified yet.

Did I mention that the raised cradle of the bicep greeblies looks like a batterie charger?

Though I'm not sure if these already had this shape in the early 80ies and rechargables already were available.

• Like 1

So as far as model parts go, we're still trying to find:

1. lower bicept greebly

2. rectangular thermal det. greebly assembly

#2 is from the 1:12 Tamiya Ferrari 312T4 kit (the detail bit).

It's not listed in the Studio Scale site, btw. There were several Ferarri 312 kits, but only the 312T4 has the correct part.

• Like 2

yes, but with no positive results so far.

However I noticed that this part might be incomplete! If you look at the bottom part of the rectuangular body you see artifacts of something that was cut or sanded away. It might have been part of the object or again joints of some sort to attach to another part.

It wouldn't be the first part that was only used partially and modiefied.

So maybe we have to look a bit more careful.

bicep_rp.jpg

• Like 1

Somethng I didn't took into account but remembered and just checked...

Chief mentioned the hexagonal shape which is visible in the BR reference. I revisited that reference and found one thing hardly visible in these shots given by Gino. The box shape with rounded corners is not just a box - it has a second level forming a stair shape at least at one side. But it is also possible that the parts used on both biceps parts are of the same part but different halves.

Back to the hexagonal chief pointed out which might be a nut or a cap with a nut shape.

I haven't found any evidence but one thing that motorized vehicles have in common and usually features a nut-shaped cap is the oil sump/pan. These either are for filling or changing oil. At least with most cars we have the filler neck located on top of the engine block so it is most certain this to be a bottom part with the drain.

Most oil pans look very complex in shape and have punched braces or cooling fins but some are quite straight and basic.

Here are the cropped captures of the blu ray reference:

A and B being two possible shapes I see indicated in this reference

rotj_bluraypart.jpg

I'm pretty much done with ideas and resources. All Kit scans I could imagine and dig up from the web did not match.

The above guesses are...guesses. I think the oil pan idea might be a route to further explore.

I concentrated on trucks and jeeps as well as armoured cars usually used in the movies.

Motorcycles seem to have cooling fins on their oil pans most of the time. For example that one of the Yamaha Midnight Special whose size would be adequate to feature such a part has a different shape.

Planes I left out. Another thing I checked was radio boxes from bigger radio installations used by the german forces but with no positive results. Most of the war models have been 1:35 or below anyways so this part would be too big except it is something else.

The part doesn't look scrathc built to me as the details I already pointed out earlier are too meticulous for that small size to be random addons. Especially the supposed recessed joint trap and the nut of some sort with its micro-hexagonal shape are indiators that this part belongs to some scale model or toy.

However I'm curious how wrong I am with my speculations in the end.

• Like 4

Interesting. If there is a groove there, I'd be more inclined to go with "A". Really, what would be great is to have some more profile photos of that piece (from the bottom or top to see if there's that groove).

My only concern is that it also looks like it could just be the shine from a flash that's creating that effect on the piece.

If it was from a model kit, I agree, it'd have to be from something that was at least 1:12 scale, possibly up to 1:6. It's at times like these that I envy the TK's for having access to real suits from the movies instead of having to scrounge around from photos like we do.

Gino, you've been a great help, but there's still soooo much we don't know, ha! Any chance you could "borrow" a complete set of armour? :P

• Like 1

Well obvopisly even Gino doesn't know everything and the guys who did these probably also only have kept the peaks of their work in mind.

I pre-ordered that new book being released soon and hope there are some additional pieces to the puzzle.

At least I may have some good news in the near future too.

Any chance we see some more angles of your piece Gino?

• Like 2

Hahaha yeah I think we've all got that book on pre-order

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since this is a "find parts" thread i though it best to poist this here. Been looking for a while here and even PMed Chef about the center piece that goes on the rectangle greeblie on the detonator. He said he remembers it being a ferrari part he thinks, but cant remember. Does anyone know what model it is from? Id love to get one!

One or two pages back or in the other thread "Lifesize Costume" Dart mentioned one of the Ferrari types used for one part -the part that Chef has found - but not all of the greeblie.

Tjere were several other racing kits used even several Ferrari kits bit of those we could find kit reviews nothing seemed to fit.

It could be all kinds of kots and stuff. I also looked at the Midnight Special kit bit found no match.

Sometimes parts got cut so it's also possible we just didn't recognize it yet.

Very difficult and unfortunately innthe book there is no information about any kits used.

But...I found several indirect cross references I think. Don't know if intentional or just by coincodence. So I'm still not finished with all pages but there might be hints.

Sometimes parts and suits are not directly referenced but descrbed almost similar or with the same terminology.

I will explain what I mean with one detail that struck me in regards to the overall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Im still looking...but have come up empty. Im going to likely just scupt the square greeblie more accurately for now.

I think its good to just know what models were used for various parts in the same film, as it may be a kit part from a model they used other parts from on a different costume. (like the ferrari 312t4, which also has quite a few Boussh parts) If we know other model kits used in ROTJ, that may be a good place to start, as it would make sence they would use parts they may have in front of them before digging through more kits.

On that note, I have found a few of the ferrari kits, but im trying to nab one for a little less coin since im out of work and broke most of the time right now lol. But they are on e-bay for around 100-150 bucks or so.