ORIGINAL BIKER SCOUT part search!!!

gino

The original webbing is not nylon (plastic-ish). Also the faint white lines you see running down the length of the webbing is not colored stitching.

One more thing if you look closely at the webbing, there is a little border edge on each side that is different than what is on the main body (sort of how velcro looks).

The thigh strap material might be heavy strapping from bike protectors. I canibalized the elbow guards of biking protectors to keep the bicep and lower armor constantly at the same distance. That strapping is thicker and stronger than common elastic strapping you get in the sewing supply shops and it has the lining at the sides.

The bright lines may be the relastic underneath or within the weaving. Just that weaving sometimes is irregular and causes some of the elastic elements to shine through.

Will provide pictures once returned home.

Thanks for the details on the clips and hose! Some more to share?

Pictures of three different straps:

All those straps are unfortunately too thin. But the material or way it is made

opposed to the common elastics used in our hobby seems to be quite close.

Contemporary straps might feature more synthetics than in the 70ies though.

http://www.madphisto.net/strapcomparison.jpg

Although it is quite difficult to compare it seems obvious that the 2" Gino has measured (I hope)

seems to be valid. Mine look smaller even though I'm probably scaled smaller than that guy

but as those are a tad different perspectives I used the thigh boxes and their straps as a reference.

Boxes might be different of scale but I think the MonCal thigh box strapping must be the right size (clips).

My leg strapping is made of the more common straps you get in every store around the corner,

not the ones I photographed which are heavier and thicker due to the weaving and material used.

http://www.madphisto.net/scoutcomparison.jpg

Edit* display changed to links for better viewing the thread.

If the strap is really thick, like Gino says, then I would imagine it to be something like I posted. Either a lifting sling, cargo strap or tow strap. I have seen the lines running down the lengths on all of these types of straps.

As for the clips, I have asked my friends on FB if they can identify them. It helps having more eyes searching even if they may not be scout fans :)

• Like 1

If the strap is really thick, like Gino says, then I would imagine it to be something like I posted. Either a lifting sling, cargo strap or tow strap. I have seen the lines running down the lengths on all of these types of straps.

The only flaw I can see in your estimation is that the types of webbing you list aren't designed to stretch like elastic. The thigh straps, to me, look like elastic. I can see the resemblance in weave pattern, but the actual type is off.

I've seen heavy elastic like that, but it's usually for something heavy since it's thicker and needs to be more durable. I keep thinking back to my hockey days when I had similar strapping (in thickness, not colour or width). It's gotta exist somewhere, just a matter of finding it, ha!

Here's a set of braces we have over here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-HEAVYDUTY-BRACES-BLACK-SUSPENDER-ELASTIC-2-50mm-Width-122CM-W68-/350747190618?pt=UK_Braces&hash=item51aa29655a

Whilst not exact again, the grain of the fabric is similar, with the sealed edging.

And likewise, whilst searching, I found this Upholstery Elasticated Webbing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-metres-ELASTIC-UPHOLSTERY-WEBBING-for-seats-furniture-FREE-P-P-/310600037029?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric&hash=item48513472a5

Again, similar.

And it certainly opens another avenue of investigation.

Think Chef's find is the closest so far. It meets all specs.

Edit: should have been Chef - sorry

None that I would feel comfortable with as a stand it so far. :)

('Stand in' meaning that is what would end up on my suit if we never found the correct stuff).

Hopefully with this many eyes on it someone will find it. I'm still looking too. Awesome to have you guys looking as well.

• Like 2

I'm inclined to agree. The material that Gino posted doesn't look all that stretchy.

But a non-stretch strap wouldn't be practical for us. It's one thing when you have a costume made for a film -- you just hire actors and stuntmen to fit the costume. But in our case we are tailoring our costumes to fit a variety of builds. Elastic is a lot more forgiving.

Just in case there was any confusion I wanted this thread and search to be solely about finding the actual stuff.

And if we cannot find the actual stuff than whatever we can find that is the absolute closest to it. :)

• Like 1

I had to redo some parts of my gear for a recent troop and found something I bought for my next scout suit.

In the MOM shots I already figured out that the strapping I used was a lot different than that of the original so I always bought samples of straps and cloth for a version 2 of my gear.

This one I almost forgot about but found it friday night in one of the boxes while searching for stuff.

I got it last year or so from one of our petty wares shops in the city center.

It is not the one you are looking for but it is flexible, wide and not plastic-like. The ribbing-structure tends to be quite rough though. It is a tad wider - about 5mm and the border is not that pronounced.

It feels more like the strapping the AT-AT pilots had just soft and flexible...and the ribbing is probably a bit thinner but still visible from some distance.

atatstrap.jpg

however here it is - I made a picture on my suit to compare and photoshopped how it would look like in a similar perspective and integrated on the suit.

strapcomparison.jpg

Here's some close up pics of the lower bicept greebly.

If anyone identifies it, post it up here.

Would be awesome if someone could find it and make castings available (since the original ones were castings too).

bicept.png

• Like 2

Here's some close up pics of the lower bicept greebly.

If anyone identifies it, post it up here.

Would be awesome if someone could find it and make castings available (since the original ones were castings too).

Included some info in my other post here... http://forum.bikersc...ndpost&p=109120

Also, in regards to the thigh webbing, I just got some of my own stuff that I think might help.

It's called "Plush Woven Elastic" and it kinda looks similar. It doesn't have a really distinct vertical pattern, but it's thicker than the usual stuff.

I found the page again wtih the list and kit scans: http://studioscale.com/kitscans.htm

I found the page again wtih the list and kit scans: http://studioscale.com/kitscans.htm

Awesome link, thanks for posting that up!

I found the Gepard model part for the TD/Tank Topper.

5.JPG

And the Vader Tie Fighter:

MPC%20Vader%20parts1.jpg