Random Boot Tip!

I have been making my boots. I don't do build threads because quite frankly it takes me away from the work I'm doing. To document and log everything ... I find that it robs me of momentum. So forgive me.

However I have been following the pinned boot tutorial religiously. One thing that I tried on a hunch that really helped secure the stretched toe vinyl to the boot after gluing is to put the boots in the freezer!

I used the heat gun to stretch the toe fabric. That made it nice and stretchy and I kept pulling it tighter and tighter and tighter over the boot. As quickly as possible I put the glue all over the boot and then re-pinned the vinyl.

As soon as it was re-pinned I pulled a Costanza and went for maximum shrinkage. I stuck my boots directly in the freezer overnight. The result was the vinyl super shrunk, and really clung to the boot.

Here they are so far:

10656486_10152379342088004_1161846252_n_zpsd9a3bcc5.jpg

• Like 1

Read on another thread that the original boots were covered in leather??? Is that true? The MoM photos I have really look like a vinyl covering. clarification please! Thanks

• Like 1

Read on another thread that the original boots were covered in leather??? Is that true? The MoM photos I have really look like a vinyl covering. clarification please! Thanks

Mike, I don't think anyone knows for sure what the original material was. To me, they look like they're leather because of they way they crease and hang, but vinyl's so much easier and cheaper to work with.

That said, I think I'm gonna try to make my next pair out of leather. I'll see how that goes, ha!

• 6 months later...