Chunk's Boot Build

Bought Brahma Boots at Walmart, $29.99. These boots are super lite! Marked & cut out the lug soles. Bought 1yd of white vinyl, E-600 & push pins. Will post progress pics as I go along.

IMG_6132_zps6768f0a1.jpg

Think in the planning stages about how the weight of the blaster is gonna affect the right boot. I wish I'd doubled up the vinyl on my first build. I'm hoping this weblon/eisenglass combo will work on my new ones.

I have a solid resin blaster and i used Jo annes Marine vinyl. I put an elastic band with velcro to wrap around my calf at the top of the boot behind the holster and it works pretty well. I have not trooped it other than walking around my neighborhood, but no issues. my boot is a size 9 and i have sc holster for what its worth.

The boots I use now have 2 plastic strips on the inside to support the holster. I dont have an issue with boot sag. Will make the new boots exactly like the old.

Following the boot tutorial here. Here are some progress pics. First pining before strech, Sitting in a hot car & final strech with pins moved to "top". I left my boots in a hot car for 40min before the 1st streching, & about 40min to over an hour for the rest. Streched & repined for a total of 3x, & the forth moving the pins to the top now to help get a close snug fit.

IMG_6165_zpsbcf9cb2d.jpg

IMG_6166_zps5ab04223.jpg

IMG_6169_zpsfcb5df48.jpg

Here's a lil FYI.

I looked & looked but there was nothing on what shape of vinyl to use on the toe cap. I took a normal piece of blank computer paper & test fitted it. Was plenty hanging over on all sides, so this is what I went with. I just traced the paper onto my vinyl & cut. Using the boot tutorial here I used the pics as a guide as to wear to place the vinyl. I had a few wrinkles before the 1st placing in the car. But as time went on & the vinyl became more plyable the wrinkles were smoothed out as you can see from the last picture.

I chose the Brahma Boot because it was super lite. Almost as lite as my running shoe. But for some reason these boots only come in wide widths. I normally wear a 10, but I chose a 9 1/2 in these & they fit fine.

Question :

On the 'dogbone" is glue applied to the entire underside of the dogbone or just the ends? When I say ends I mean the ball end where the 2 stich lines go? I did not make my previous boots but they are only glued on the ends. This alows the boot to flex without any pull on the toe cap & shaft.

I'd wait on the strip cuz you'll use that to cover some slippage when you do the riveting. Both E6000 and vinyl have a lot of give in them and can move a bit while you're working. The strip covers any imperfections.

• 1 month later...

I'm almost done with my 2nd boot build, using these same base boots because the ones I got at walmart last year aren't there any more. Does the command staff see a problem with the 2 color sole?

I'm almost done with my 2nd boot build, using these same base boots because the ones I got at walmart last year aren't there any more. Does the command staff see a problem with the 2 color sole?

I will paint the sole one color with acrylic paint from Walmart. I found it in the arts & craft section for only

.50 :)

Paint holds up fine. I marched around in another pair where I painted the sole for about 4hrs. No craks or flaking of any kind. I just used cheap art acrylic paint from Walmart. Wanna say I paid under a dollar a bottle. Didn't even use 1/4 bottle for both boots. I bought some of the paint in different colors last week & they had it clearanced for .50 a bottle.

• Like 1

Great wip. These are the same one I used to make my boots. I took the laces out and removed the metal lace things. Very comfy boots. I can wear em for hours. I don't have a blaster yet and my holster causes the boot to say some. I should have used a better vinyl but i enjoyed make the boots so much that next time ill do better.

I wish I could have found the base boots from my first build. They have a steel toe and single color sole. I feel like the others are more comfortable, too. Same price at Walmart a year and a half ago. I'll probably consider the ones I just completed with this base-boot temporary and rip up the old ones to start again in a month or two.

I have too many works in progress, but i did take pictures as I built mine and plan to post a build thread when I can slow down. I did a couple of things differently.

• 6 months later...

I just bought a pair of these Brahma boots for my boot build, I've got the white marine vinyl, thread, the thumb tacks, and the E-6000 and will be using THE tutorial and hopefully have a half decent pair of boots.

NegativeEleven are you the same person with that name over on the MMCC?