Neck Seal used in the movie?

cucblack

Personally I think that a Boba Fett or Stormtrooper neck seal style would look great in a Biker Scout Prop. Especially because the neck is too visible with this helmet.

Seeing some screen pics, find a possible neck seal used.

p_001.jpg?1

• Like 1

I think we've had this debate before....

Whilst there are a few things that 'could' be misconstrued as a neck-seal, there are a LOT of other shots which seem to say otherwise.

I'm with Marcel on this one.

• Like 1

This misconception stirs up every once in a while ;).

Maybe we should establish a scout FAQ.

• Like 1

Maybe some scenes used neck seal and others not. Some scenes has months of difference and modify some props details.

The strips looks like a TK neck seal stile.

Sent from my Lumia using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree it's possible, and we also have to remember a large number of the shots actually used the scale maquettes, so who knows.

It's difficult to nail down without any real credible evidence though.

But that's what we're here for. People like you and I (and the members in general) to sift through screen stills, background footage and everything that goes with it.

• Like 3

It's like Deja Vu when this comes up. I put it in the same category as the chin cup. This could be the collar, the balaclava, a combination, etc. There's just not enough on-screen, visible, clear evidence to support them. However, we all know "stunt" versions have modifications that "hero" version do not necessarily have...and vice versa.

Perhaps when the SW costume book is released we'll all know for sure. Perhaps not. Until then, we dig for more evidence and truth as Chef mentions. It's part of SW costuming fun! :)

• Like 2

My reference is the Outtake showing "Nik Saint" alias the disguised imperial who put on the gear of the captured remaining scout.

He only wears a balaclava.

People may argue of hypothetical imperial uniform continuity but I always argue from what can be proven 100%.

I know some people tailor and sell vests for biker scouts with such a neckseal because people somehow find it cool but seriously

if you don't have a neck like a giraf it looks strange due to the slim helmet opposed to the wide stormtrooper design.

If I take on my stormtrooper neckseal I couldn't even get my helmet on correctly.

So I'm not saying people can't do what they think is cool (we have seen scouts with pauldrons all kinds of "artillery") but most of the references don't support this theory even if we know there are inconsistencies in screen canon as well.

- In most scenes we lack the ribbed neck while we can clearly see the details of the suit collar.

- In the cut scene we see this afore mentioned rebel in disguise sporting a balaclava and no hint of a neck seal

- In the pre-production/PR shots we see can recognize the collar of the suit again just that they seem to be folded up or some kind of turtle neck but no ribbed neck seal.

The stormtrooper neckseal is made leather or rubber - in the screenshot the material looks as dull as the fabric of the suit,

no glossy and rather smooth material as we know it from the neck seals we see in neck seal references.

So argument may be they just didn't use the same material as for the stormtroopers or something similar to Boba Fett

who also sports a flak vest but seriously.....too much speculation here and no real evidence.

If they used a pattern like the Boba Fett vest - which might be possible from a practical point of view - we wouldn't see any overall collars as that kind of vest would cover it completely.

Instead we can see a quite wide border line of the flak vest in prominent screenshots of the endor scenes which lead to the traditional design of the flak vest of our repro armors.

Of course I also just speculate in some areas but this screenshot never convinced me to accept the existence of a neck seal for scouts. However I respect if people do their costumes as they like it - I do that as well and used some creative freedom to achieve a better look of my cummerbund and vest for example and even the collar (I used the imperial crew overall with the typical closed neck collar as base for my suit). But a neck seal as I said earlier in picturesque words would result in an awkward look for most body types (if you ask me).

• Like 1

You could at least describe it.

I doubt it is a stormtrooper neck seal. It must be less thick and of different material otherwise I can't verify it on screen.

We know that todays remaining outfits like the mom scout has details not corresponding with the originals on screen -> red square on tank, missing belt device details (greeblies).

I wish they wiuld finally release a proper costume guide....

Most of the illustrated series are not worth the paper they got printed on....

Clearly is not a TK neck seal. When I said a Stormtrooper o Boba Fett neck seal "style" I'm referring to a neck seal for hide the neck and with strips.

Strips looks too similar to a TK and the material a cotton fabric, similar to the Suit. But all is speculation. Maybe I wrong.

I still think in terms of how the 501st Pathfinders will look at it is that through the ON SCREEN evidence from the film, the usage of a neck seal is very minimal at best, if not 'inconclusive'.

It would need a debate, and then only likely get an 'optional' status.

There is rafts of screen evidence to suggest that one was not present, and that's pretty irrefutable.

It's no good saying "I've seen one, it's there, but I can't tell you about it", because with the best will in the world, anyone could say that.

We have to use hard evidence to back up arguments.

Yes, there can be one seen on the Blu-Ray walk around, and maybe one in the archives. But when coupled with the screen evidence that clearly shows one NOT in existence, unfortunately the screen evidence trumps the lot.

The same has been shown with the red square on the tank topper.

It's a worthy debate though.

• Like 1

To say they did not use the neck seals on film is simply an untruth.

You can very clearly see one in that above photo. There is nothing inconclusive about it.

That being said, I'm willing to privately show anyone who wants to see, evidence of the neckseals from the archives if they come see me at SDCC.

I just am not permitted to post any of those kind of images publicly.

Did every biker wear one, who knows. But I think they are more common than you might think.

There is a lot of variance to the costumes and blasters (particularly in the detailing) as I'm sure you all already know.

Some tanks had the red square, other did not.

Some tanks had 6 stripes, some had only 4.

• Like 1

Will be difficult for me to come to sdcc...

I hsve some gripes with archive material though. Something which was meabt for thebscout like other features known and shown from preproduction shots obviously didn't make it to the shootings or at least those variants aren't shown.

It's a given fact that suits differed and to establish a proper standards we need to be carefull how to verify things.

Screen always beats sources outside the movies except we have no possibility to verify by screen sources. This applies to most of the details regarding the belt and how it was attached and closed as well as exact cloth types some back up for certain armor features and boot details.

I'm not saying it isn't possible - actually I'd welcome some type of closed neck feature as the open collars of a common racing/working overall never appealed to me - but we need better proof than hear-say and a very small hint in a screen.

I know I had vague screen material as well when discovering the details of the range finder of the ATST helmet but at least the complete body could be seen to identify it

From what I can see, I think the neck seal was made and added to the Scout during shooting of the blue screen close ups.

I reckon the neck seal was not part of the costume during location shooting in the Red Wood forests.

I think that when they started shooting close ups in the studio it was decided to add a neck-seal to help hide the collar and zips of the under-suit. From what I can see only mid to long shots of the Scout were shot on location.

Ergo, IMO, it could be deemed part of a 'hero' costume whereas the on location suits as 'stunts'.

It is my own opinion that the costumes were designed to hide all familiar methods of putting on clothes; hiding zips, buckles and laces as much as possible.

• Like 3

Gino... Not being funny, but please read what I've put.

Have I said "No-one used them". No. I have said that their on screen usage is at best 'minimal'.

That's very different to saying they were not there at all.

Is it 'clear' to see from the above photo... Not exactly what I would call 'clear'. Yes it hints at it. But it's not like the balls on a bulldog now is it.

More prevalent than you might think... Well, go dig out the screen grabs that show it. I'm all ears.

Here are some screen grabs from the film.

Neck1.jpg

Neck2.jpg

Neck3.jpg

Neck4.jpg

Chin1-1.jpg

That pretty much covers a large number of the scenes where Scouts appear and a neck is clearly visible.

Not much conclusive evidence to suggest the 'common' prevalence of a neck seal in my opinion. Probably quite the contrary.

Does the Archive have one.. Probably. It's difficult to say conclusively when that material is not freely available to the public.

Does the BluRay have one.. Yes. Definitely.

Does the above trump the screen evidence. NO. It's only used to back up an argument.

We're all well aware of the things like tank stripes. 0,1,4 and 6 are the ones that appear on screen. Hence the reason the CRL caters for any number.

Can a red tank square be seen... NO. Hence it's not allowed.

Can a neck seal be seen... possibly. Hence why it may get an 'optional'. That would be the debate.

I'm all for the debate. But it has to be backed up with Bona Fide evidence that is in the public domain, not some "hush hush, eer check this out, guv'ner!" type photos that are for 'eyes only'.

So for those who really want to prove it's existence in a 'more often than not' sense.

Go grab the Blu-rays... sift through the screen grabs and present your evidence to the world.

I'd love to see it.

• Like 1

To be honest it makes no difference to me what rules you guys make for your approvals.

I've handled the original costumes in the archives and have an intimate knowledge of their construction and details.

I'm just here to tell you how they were. You can do what you like with that info from there.

1000% that screen cap posted at the beginning of this thread is a bonafide neck seal just like the ones in the archives.

For anyone to state otherwise is categorically wrong.

How many of the scouts wore them and for what scenes etc.. is certainly up for debate.

• Like 4

Forget the neck seal! I'd rather have the open collar. I think that looks rad. I'd rather see that as an option on the CRL than the neck seal.

So Gino, since you handled the original costume -- was the cummerbund made of nylon or what????