EFX Scout Trooper helmet -update

• 2 weeks later...

Another picture found on the RPF.

2b61db1ea8917abf17226489a2fd0d59.jpg

To cost that much and to get such a gap and uneven trim. :(

• Like 2

And they have Disney’s name and TM printed on the card.

I am really curious if Disney actually acknowledged that since they may be the strictest company IN THE WORLD for protecting their brand. Huh!!!

Loop hole for us buyers maybe???

\m/

• Like 1

More pictures from The Replica Prop Forum:

Look at that jaw flair out where the front/back meet.a5b5843e25836227cf6b3673d1a6e25a.jpg72362ce71590da6407934155c06e6290.jpg0cd107aa3be45cd542da8367b85534c3.jpgb0ae81cc47e702257db725d603119e77.jpgac25a93511d8371640893fd331070071.jpg447c055beaf03164f5e9d0607e78f4e9.jpg

Add to that the huge gap on the visor and this is not looking good.

And this is from GINO (posted on the RPF).

Hey man don't speak for me.

Is the helmet an absolute perfect replica? Of course not.

Always knew it wasn't going to be from the start and knowing we were doing them in fiberglass. Certain compromises just had to be made. Period.

Less compromises could have been made if the visor did not have to lift up' date=' but then people would complain about that. This helmet presented unique challenges way more severe than any other SW helmet we could have picked so to me it's amazing that it actually made it thought production at all. Don Post tried and failed and understandably so.

I don't have a production helmet in hand to assess some of these latest concerns. Some of the criticisms I've read are just silly and some could be credible. The gap on top was intentional as there needed to be plenty of clearance when the visor is put into the 'up' position so that it wouldn't scrape against the top of the helmet. You can get away with this with plastic, but not fiberglass.

On the masters I submitted, only enough material was removed to give proper clearance. So anyone with one in hand, take a look at the gap and see how much there is once you are swinging the visor open. It was intended to be only enough to ensure clearance.

Either way, to me even the potentially credible ones still appear to be very minor in the grand scheme of things and 90% of the customers this was geared towards will be ecstatic once they have it. And they should because it's still a beautiful helmet regardless of what I would consider to be minor issues.[/quote']

All I see is excuses, excuses, excuses. And where is that Legend Edition people paid for years ago?

To the statement of Gino.....well,what should I say.... :rolleyes:

The facts are on the table...where was the problem to make this helmet out from normal ABS plastic?!?

Fibreglass is more susceptible for damages...alone if I think at the visor :unsure:

And about this statement:

The gap on top was intentional as there needed to be plenty of clearance when the visor is put into the 'up' position so that it wouldn't scrape against the top of the helmet

If they had made a good job at this place/area everyone wouldn't complain...especially at the trim work...not to mention the chin area :mellow:

All in all...if you want a good replica of an original screen used helmet, then you have to order at RS.

Amen.

• Like 2

my visor gap on one my many RS helmets... working on my 5th and 6th kit build and they open and lock fully!

tssLNoz.jpg

now, i dont see where a comprimise had to be made just because it made out of fiberglass...its just an excuse for poor craftsmanship!

even the cheek flair is poor craftsmanship.

if you pride yourself in your work and see problems like these then you would have addressed the problem and corrected them. this just shows me(us) that efx only cared about the money side of this project!

its pretty upsetting to see companies push out a products like this to their community!

• Like 4

now, i dont see where a comprimise had to be made just because it made out of fiberglass...lit just an excuse for poor craftsmanship!

if you pride yourself in your work and see problems like these then you would have addressed the problem and corrected them. this just shows me(us) that efx only cared about the money side of this project!

its pretty upsetting to see companies push out a products like this to their community!

I've been silent through much of this thread since the eFX Lid pics started coming out.

I had to "Like" and Quote Ken's comment as is it DEAD-ON CORRECT.

My RS is beautiful (IMO - I was one of the lucky that was delivered a spot-on one) and seeing the pics of the eFX really stress me out.

Also, though not screen-accurate, my former MLC versions (I had 3 variants) had no issue with the visor gap and they were fiberglass builds.

~ Grendel_Blitz \m/

• Like 3

my visor gap on one my many RS helmets... working on my 5th and 6th kit build and they open and lock fully!

tssLNoz.jpg

now, i dont see where a comprimise had to be made just because it made out of fiberglass...its just an excuse for poor craftsmanship!

Yep...I totally agree with you. It's rather an excuse....

Btw...nice build.

I don't have a RS lid, but I'm totally happy with my LW helmet which I've fully modificated. But perhaps one day I'll buy a RS bucket....out of sheer boredom becaus I like the build of it so much :lol: :lol: :lol::P :P :P:blink: :blink: :blink:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This picture I saw on FB show the flair looking pretty bad seen from below...9e8d7b04463ea15b91578621cdbb45c8.jpg

• Like 2

This picture I saw on FB show the flair looking pretty bad seen from below...9e8d7b04463ea15b91578621cdbb45c8.jpg

Ah, interesting, that explains why they had to alter the original mold; the fibreglass and the padding are much thicker than the ABS used for the originals. That's why they had to widen the jaw so that it wouldn't touch/scratch the helmet.

Unfortunately the proportions of the bikerscout helmet are quite delicate - alter a little bit and it may change the appearance entirely.

• Like 4

Btw, here's a great review on the efx limited edition helmet from Starwarshelmets >>>

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/EFX_Scout_Trooper_Limited_Review.htm

That just settles it then. The EFX after all this time is not even in the same league. And at that price!

• Like 1

That just settles it then. The EFX after all this time is not even in the same league. And at that price!

I did not expect to say this but... "RS for the WIN!!!!" (great article on both lids BTW)

And I will reiterate what I have previously mentioned...

A fiberglass build should not have been the fault of the huge visor gap and jaw-flare.

Mardon's (MLC) lids were nice and tight and he made three slightly different iterations.

It's just haste, lack of concern, laziness or all of three that eFX are accountable for in the design.

\m/

EFX Scout helmet arrived. Like I said before I wasn't expecting too much difference from what I've seen from collector's pics already.

The helmet is quite heavy, shiny and looks solid, coming with a nice COA, but is not as accurate as it could have been. The jaw flair and the big visor gap are the most prominent issues with this replica. My visor closes quite ok looking from sides, but looking from top it the gap is wider on one side than the other.

The visor itself has some accuracy problems as well. The snout is not that sharp, but was expecting to be softer so it is ok. The stand looks cheap, but seems reasonably steady and solid, still is definitely inferior to other EFX stands. Price is quite high for what you get in the end, expecially for international collectors who weren't bribed by EFX with a free Vader helmet.

The overall appearance is ok, less accurate than RS Prop Masters and maybe even LoneWolf, and looks better than Altmanns, the other licensed high end Scout helmet. An ok replica, but inferior to previous EFX LE helmet replicas. It is not the worst Scout helmet out there, but definitely not the best.

EFX_Scout_Trooper_Helmet_22.jpg

EFX_Scout_Trooper_Helmet_24.jpg

EFX_Scout_Trooper_Helmet_27.jpg

Comparison EFX vs LoneWolf (LW) vs RS Prop Masters Scout Trooper Helmets:

Comparison_EFX_LW_RS_Scout_Trooper_Helmet_02.jpg

Comparison_EFX_LW_RS_Scout_Trooper_Helmet_06.jpg

Comparison_EFX_LW_RS_Scout_Trooper_Helmet_10.jpg

• Like 6

This was made so certain people have access to the ILM archives. In the end I'm glad I have the RS. Will keep the EFX too, in the future I might sell it, there are always collectors of licensed replicas

For that kind of money...

Seriously. Like I said earlier, I'd be willing to overlook it's flaws if it was like $200. For $700? Nope.

• Like 3

might be time for another helmet poll like Griffin started :)

EZ...

#1: RS

#2: LW

#3: eFX

#4: Altmann* (*I will always love these lids)

#5: .........

KS, SC, Mons, WTF, etc... I have not seen, held or built.

Mardon (MLC) made great lids before all of these BTW!

\m/

• Like 4

EZ...

#1: RS

#2: LW

#3: eFX

#4: Altmann* (*I will always love these lids)

#5: .........

My top exactly.

i also used to own a KS, but it is lower than top 5, maybe even out of top 10 unless modded

• Like 1