Biker Scout Helmet visor and how it originally worked

Ok guys, so the common questions about visors is how does it stay up and how does it stay down.

The usual way for the lid to stay up is by having a tightness on the visor bolts. A light faceplate helps.The problem with this is it is tight to lift as well.

To hold down the visor some guys use a piece of velcro or even magnets which work very well.

Ok back to the originals, they used a notch at the hig level and a notch at the low level cut into the return edges of the plastic visor. These notches line up with the internal "bump" on the main helmet.

Judging by the design of this bump it may have been intended to be a flexible "spring" with either side sliced open to allow the bump to push in and back out to keep a tension on the visor.

bikerscoutvisor1.jpg

You can see the "ramp" beside the bump.

Holding the visor in the open position,

bikerscoutvisor4.jpg

bikerscoutvisor3.jpg

bikerscoutvisor2.jpg

The top notch is used to hold the visor strongly in place.

Holding the visor closed,

bikerscoutvisor5.jpg

Unfortunately the only lids that can have this original method are any that have a return edge and have some "give" in the material,

Hope this helps.

• Like 6

I would have to take my visor off to show it but I have the bolt covers all glued on and it would be a chore to get the visor off. The MLC v3 had the little ramp built into it that the visor edge "runs" up on and then friction does the rest

image.jpg

not exactly, no notch, but a ramp and knobby type friction system, I thought it was like you were showing but after checking it out a little closer it's similar but not exactly the same

I wanted to get a Lone Wolf helmet, but the guy that makes them never emailed me back about purchasing one........looks like I missed out on a nice helmet...

• Like 1

not exactly, no notch, but a ramp and knobby type friction system, I thought it was like you were showing but after checking it out a little closer it's similar but not exactly the same

I wanted to get a Lone Wolf helmet, but the guy that makes them never emailed me back about purchasing one........looks like I missed out on a nice helmet...

This made me laugh.

• Like 3