Adding a chin cup to an already approved Scout helm

During some recent trooping, one of which involved a jump roping contest with a sports event mascot, I have found myself adjusting or fussing with my helm more frequently. A lot of the trooping that I do involves walking/wandering around or parade marching. Don't get me wrong the helm fits quite snug, but I want to keep it from shifting.

I was thinking of installing a Lancer type chin cup to the helm. My questions are the type of cups available that would be acceptable, the strapping and installation.

I have a SC helmet and right now my chin does not show.

754_10201873211505703_1378394165_n_zps5069bc1f.jpg

Personally, I do not like the chin cup. It bangs on the inside of the lid when I talk. But, each to their own!

You might check with Chex, Chef, or Marcel. The SC chin cup should be fine for Lancer approval.

Jim, I didn't realize that the chin cup would bang against them helm. I am sure my Aker would pick up on that too.

Thanks Tim, let me know if you come across one. After both your and Jim's comments I might want to think about it.

• Like 1

My chin cup doesn't touch my helmet when worn. I have a helmet liner in my lid though which keeps my head away from the face plate so that might help.

Do you know your missing the black outline around your snout greebly too? :unsure:

on my MLC the chin cup doesnt touch but I suppose it depends on the size and shape of your melon

what I dont understand is, if the chin cup isnt visible to the public when the helmet is worn, why does it have to be "approved"? I mean if you cant see it, a rubber band and a piece of coffee cup lid should be "approvable"........whats with the strict guidelines on something that cant be seen?

• Like 1

on my MLC the chin cup doesnt touch but I suppose it depends on the size and shape of your melon

what I dont understand is, if the chin cup isnt visible to the public when the helmet is worn, why does it have to be "approved"? I mean if you cant see it, a rubber band and a piece of coffee cup lid should be "approvable"........whats with the strict guidelines on something that cant be seen?

I hear where you are coming from. I would not be going for Lancer status, I couldn't anyways as Andy pointed out in my helm. I also have white rivets in my belt which also keeps me from doing it as the CRL says no rivets for level 2. I am not even interested in level 2 approval. I have trooped in many troops without that status. I was told by another member Lancer status plus a dollar get you a cup of coffee. I just need the chin cup for additional stability.

Yeah, it annoys the crap outa me. :)

I do still have my SC (black) and LW (white) chin cups. If you want one, let me know...

Sure, I'd take the white if you want to toss me a PM?

• Like 1