DLT-19 & DC-15x Scratchbuild

Almost there. I will be carrying this at HeroesCon in Charlotte, NC on Saturday. I am still working on the more squared barrel vac-form bucks. All of this is easy to take apart and fit in my costume box, so it will be easy to swap the barrel shroud when I get a new one made.

ne-assembled10.jpg

ne-assembled11.jpg

I've still gotta build the little door I'm using to cover the PVC fitting that tightens on the inner barrel. It corresponds to the hinge on the MG-42 that allows you to swap the barrel on that. I have started carving up a vac-form buck for that piece too. If anyone wants any of these vac-form parts, let me know. I think they'll be under $10 each (2 pieces for the barrel, 1 for the top cover, and there'll be a few other small parts that will prob fit on one sheet of styrene).

still gotta build something cover the opening where the two parts come together (the metallic piece with masking tape on it in the first photo). I want to be able to open and unscrew to take them apart to fit in my costume box. that piece will prob another vac form mold over a hinge. I've also got to finish a more square barrel to be more in line with Marcel's interpretation of the video game version. another reason to keep the first one removable. I also haven't built something to keep the bipod folded up against the barrel. I'm thinking magnets for that, unless anyone else has ideas.

I've got 2 more sets of this barrel (one in .06 styrene and one in .09, I believe) already pulled and somewhat trimmed to fit together if anyone else wants em. I've also got more styrene and clear PETG if someone wants one of the top-cover pieces.

Ok, so after trooping for around 3 hours with it (con was 11am to 6pm on the day I could make it and I did half the day with my Cobra group), I have a couple of issues. It's a little heavier than I expected. I like a gun to have some weight to it. If you buy airsoft guns, a lot of times they will have metal or stone pieces inside to give it a more real feel. This one got a little cumbersome after about 30 minutes. I wasn't real sure that the barrel would stay attached, so I was afraid to put it over my shoulder with the strap I'd attached. Also, the way the strap was attached to the barrel wasn't real secure.

I need to play with the piece I rigged up to hold the bipod up. It's kinda clunky and looks weird. I bent aluminum around styrene "I" beams to make it slide along a 3/4" steel track, with a spring to pull it onto 2 hooks on the bipod legs. I know, way over-complicated. It held, but there was some play, so if I wasn't looking and grabbed the barrel, it would slip a little and I kept checking to make sure I didn't break something off of it.

I'm also not too happy with how flexible the PVC and styrene are on the barrel. If I leave it sitting on the bipod, it'll sag a little. I've got steel mending plates overlapping where they come together (you can see bare steel underneath the hinge in the pic below). There's the water-tight PVC screw down connector holding the PVC to the wood body and a thumb screw thru the metal hinge and sintra reinforced t-nut inside the barrel. It still can wobble a little. The "door" I built around the metal hinge there is sintra. I'm working on another vac-form buck for that piece that will look more like the one from the MG-42. Might need a longer thumb screw to go thru the whole barrel for strength, or perhaps a long screw thru the barrel and a wingnut on the door. I'm also thinking aout going back to the idea I had before with the aluminum "U" bar along the PVC barrel, but as you can see, I had to lose that when I saw how much it would raise the PVC inside of the outer styrene shell and would make the barrel impossible to line up with the body of the gun.

10403240_929805070378526_5507763509269779485_n_zpsd94b3caa.jpg

Bonus, I didn't realize I was a "Scout-a-day" last week until our photographer at the con told me how happy she was to see her photo show up unexpectedly on facebook. She wanted to get that rush again, so she's sending in this pic soon:

10439475_929805317045168_5901913375695992962_n_zps4a10c5ce.jpg

And big props (pun intended) to our former Garrison CO, who stepped down to focus more on execution of events and prop building, for really blowing everyone away with his set pieces at this con! Wish I knew which scout this was in the picture. I was so rushed to make sure I got in costume for as long as possible, I didn't get names from the 4 or 5 troops I hadn't met before.

10442541_1489140364654130_6511794303213907837_n1_zps2b191aea.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to pop Battlefront 2 in and play a little last night to get another look at the rifle now that mine's troop-worth. Wow... in motion the rifle looks very different than the screen grabs imply. Put it in 1st person mode and it looks like they intend for the barrel to look rounded, not square. Obviously, the still image of the model out of context is very square, but the way it moves and the angle you're looking at it, I think they mean for it to be round.

I decided to pop Battlefront 2 in and play a little last night to get another look at the rifle now that mine's troop-worth. Wow... in motion the rifle looks very different than the screen grabs imply. Put it in 1st person mode and it looks like they intend for the barrel to look rounded, not square. Obviously, the still image of the model out of context is very square, but the way it moves and the angle you're looking at it, I think they mean for it to be round.

I agree with you,i always dont understand why people keep identify the DC 15x as a mg42 based gun,obviously the low resolution of the game gives a squared look to the rifle,but i think the developers wanted to imitate the dlt19...

That's why I went with the curved top and flat sides on my build, sort if the best of both worlds if you like. The top vent holes are very important too. I'm my opinion the mg42 is completely wrong, but it isn't dot 19 either in my mind

I'm sticking with my decision to build something that was seen onscreen in one of the original trilogy, but I'm gonna stop calling mine a DC-15x and just say it's a Valken-38 (Dengar's rifle). I am working on new barrel sides (squared with 4 long holes and one circle) and top (rounded with alternating holes), but I've got too many other projects to finish before DragonCon!

I had to change those links in my post from HeroesCon. The chick who took pictures had a fit because our Garrison XO told her she couldn't share them with her name watermarked. His reason (and I agree) is because as the official photographer for the group it couldn't look like she was trying to profit from it. She deleted the photobucket account so no one could have access to pictures. Which was dumb because they were on the memory card that belonged to our Garrison event coordinator, in his camera... so they're still photos she took, but he had to re-upload them. Kinda childish if you ask me.

• 1 month later...

Hello again,im not dead,just a lot busy...So here's a big update:finally finished the hard work on the body,still need some carving here and there,but its done.I have now to do a lot of details...Guys do you think i have to round more the stock or its ok this way?Cheers

23039575_dscn0011.jpg

23039577_dscn0016.jpg

23039578_dscn0017.jpg

23039582_dscn0020.jpg

23039587_dscn0021.jpg

23039589_dscn0022.jpg

23039590_dscn0023.jpg

That looks great. Good job!

I saw a lot of DLT's at DragonCon this weekend. The only MG-42 I saw was during the parade. I marched with G.I.Joe and noticed our B.A.T. was carrying one. It was the heavy, expensive electric airsoft one. I held it for a minute before we started marching. I think I got mine pretty close. The Mandalorian Mercs seemed really impressed by mine. One guy in the food court did ask me why I had a scope on a WWII machine gun, which makes me think I did it right.

• 2 months later...

Still updating! I got this scope for $10 at the army surplus store in town. I like how it is old and naturally weathered. The $10 airsoft one looked too nice.

newscope.jpg

Some closeups of my homemade functional bipod. It's a little wobbly, but it does unfold neatly and that sliding, spring loaded thingie I built holds it up and lets me take it down easily. Not real pretty to look at though. I gotta get some paint on the steel support in the middle (or replace it with aluminum) before it starts to pick up rust.

bipod-update-01.jpg

bipod-update-02.jpg

bipod-update-03.jpg

bipod-update-04.jpg

And with the bipod not being really stable, I put some magnets in the handle and built this little base with steel L-brace for outdoor fencing to hold it up. I don't think I've posted since I put the textured grip on there.

stand01.jpg

stand02.jpg

stand03.jpg

stand04.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Um, good question. I just bought a big sheet of HIPS straight from a plastic distributor. That's cheaper and stronger than the regular styrene I bought from a sign shop to do my gun. I also finished molds for a straighter barrel with holes more like the one from Battlefront (and Marcel's build). I will figure out what each piece of plastic costs me this weekend and I will pull a couple of each and post pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,its been very long since my last update,but im almost done.So the barrell is finished,even with functional iron sight,and for the body i used a white base and some sanding to make the wood really smooth.also flange and rear sight are also functionals :D now i'm glueing the details on the body,hope to finish this for january...

24421958_dscn0019.jpg

24421965_dscn0023.jpg

24421980_dscn0026.jpg

24421993_dscn0027.jpg

24422004_dscn0028.jpg

24422026_dscn0029.jpg

24422036_dscn0030.jpg

24422046_dscn0031.jpg

24422060_dscn0032.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello again guys,almost done almost done!Finished top cover with magnets to keep it close,i used an hard-disk magnet to have the strongest closure,now even if i shake it wont open.

25011466_dscn0034.jpg

25011522_dscn0040.jpg

25011531_dscn0041.jpg

Added the ammo belt exit,the loading rail or whatever it is,secure switch and stock details.

25011474_dscn0035.jpg

25011481_dscn0036.jpg

25011497_dscn0037.jpg

25011516_dscn0039.jpg

I decided to re shape a bit the stock because it needed to be more rounded.

25011502_dscn0038.jpg

Have to do the conical disk detail on the handgrip,T-tracks on the barrell and then painting...

So T-tracks done and glued on the barrell (no photo)

25075829_dscn0042.jpg

Loading handle done.I used a little metal bar in the center, a forex cylinder and a rubber top to block the tube by friction,simple,precise,clean but very effective.I'm really proud of this part :)

25075836_dscn0043.jpg

25075841_dscn0044.jpg

25075853_dscn0046.jpg

25075847_dscn0045.jpg

You're making me want to revisit my build to add more details. Unfortunately, I am behind schedule and need to be building carbonite boxes now!

It's not too late to do :D ,i just tried to be as much accurate as possible,nothing special,although i miss something...and im still regretting...