DLT-19 & DC-15x Scratchbuild

Just checked that Home Depot link, Jason. That's a good option for the bi-pod. If it's strong enough for shelves, you could probably make it functional, although as a TD, I doubt you'll be lying down to pose with it. Do they come in black though? I know with my Death Star wall panels, paint chips off of metal like that very easily. You'll want to carry black/silver paint markers when you troop for touch-ups!

Well, I wasn't gonna work on this today, but silverboyd told me he was working on his, so I carved away at the trigger/trigger guard for a little while. I'll probably replace the guard with metal and use a moving plastic trigger at some point, but that's why this whole piece is removable.

NE-trigger02.jpg

NE-trigger01.jpg

Looking good. If you've seen my thread in the trade forum, you know I ordered resin and as soon as that comes in the mail I gotta get several holdout blasters made and shipped. I don't think I'll get much done on this rifle for at least a week or two.

It's is clear though that the barrel is different to the mg42, the top vent holes are different ( round staggered like a cheese grater), as are the slots on both sides, and also the top of the barrel including the front and rear barrel grebblies on the top are clear to see. Also the flash hider is completely different, it is most certainly not round and the slot details are way different to the mg if you look carefully.

The receiver part is quite un clear, but the general shape matches the 42/32, but there are visible details not on the mg stock.

Marcel, I'll be doing the barrel like yours. No one replied to my offer of making bucks and trying vac-form a few of them. That slight angle on the top will make it easier to vac-form two halves if I put no vent holes in the bottom (on the bucks at least). I'm going with a round flash hider. I still say the Battlefront one has flat edges because of the nature of video games at the time. The Sideshow collectables figure's rifle has a round flash hider. For the scope mount, did you buy a single piece one, or did you build that raised rectangular piece and fit 2 rings on top of it?

For me, this project is probably gonna be put on hold till after May 4th. I want to wear a new costume for my annual party and I think I can get a Mando costume wearable by then. I debuted my scout there last year (borrowing armor since mine came in the mail on May 6th). I also have a lot of orders for my holdout blaster and Cobra Viper helmets to fill in the next couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's about all the progress you'll see from me till at least next month. I'm using an aluminum FOR SALE sign to replicate the top cover piece on the MG-42. Obviously, I need to trim it down, and I don't know if I'll be able to bend it in all the directions necessary. That piece may end up needing to be vac-formed. I'm still thinking of doing that for the squared part of the barrel, so I'll have both pieces able to be copied if anyone wants them when I'm done.

I think the scope mount is a little tall. I tried a couple of times to cut a rectangular piece of 3/4" wood, but I really need to replace my jigsaw because it cannot cut a straight line. I took a 1" x 3/4" piece and made one straight cut on it with the circular saw, then screwed a 1/8" piece of steel to the top for the rail. Those scope rings are a little big, so I've got sticky-backed 1/8" styrofoam pads in there holding the scope tight. I might need to swap those out, but the ones I have that are more accurate (same as the ones on the Hasbro Rebel Blaster) are painted white on my Cobra Viper rifle!

The flash hider is the screw-on part for the tip of an old ROTJ Luke lightsaber. I sanded off any text on the rest of it a long time ago, so I couldn't tell you which it was. It's not Rubie's or Hasbro... maybe Tiger or Kenner or something. The part with the holes, I measured that and cut from sintra. I evenly spaced the holes on the flat piece of sintra before I heated and wrapped it around. I still have to bondo the seam and clean up the holes so they look uniform. I've got a screw glued into the red funnel piece from previous pics. I'm gonna try to center that on the other part and then bondo till it looks like one piece.

NE-flash02.jpg

NE-body04.jpg

NE-body05.jpg

Good work Chris but i would have rounded a little more the stock.Still have a lot of work to do,been busy lately...anyway central layer of wood is done,pretty good with the barrell.I decided to connect the barrel to the body with 2 screws (red dots) ,not a very accurate choice but surely a sturdy one.Now its time for the electronics... :wacko:

24ci1hk.jpg

2rr9tlf.jpg

1231mxu.jpg

22iy3b.jpg

If I had time, I'd be cropping and reposting all the pictures Silverboyd has sent me via facebook of his build. He'll be done in a couple of weeks. He plans to carry it at a troop next month. I might finish mine before that, but it's not looking good with all the other projects I want to finish before my May 3rd (Star Wars Day Eve party).

If I had time, I'd be cropping and reposting all the pictures Silverboyd has sent me via facebook of his build. He'll be done in a couple of weeks. He plans to carry it at a troop next month. I might finish mine before that, but it's not looking good with all the other projects I want to finish before my May 3rd (Star Wars Day Eve party).

I hope you'll finish yours in time,for me its impossible to have it ready for may 3rd...damn

I hope you'll finish yours in time,for me its impossible to have it ready for may 3rd...damn

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, just realized that in a hurry last week, I posted this on Marcel's build thread. I deleted and am reposting it here. This was my quick finish so I could carry the rifle at my Star Wars Day party last weekend.

NE-assembled02.jpg

NE-assembled01.jpg

Repainted it black before I took it out. I'm the mando holding the rifle. Another neat blaster I should post up build pics for is the Endor DL-44 in my holster there.

badjon01.jpg

I'm going to make vac-form bucks to do the top cover sometime in the next week. I'm also going to vac-form the outer barrel for it once I get some measurements from Marcel. I bought 6 sheets of styrene cut to the size of my oven so I can heat to form. Hopefully I won't mess up any of them, but in my limited experience, I probably will. I think both halves of the barrel will fit on one sheet and the top cover on another, so I have 3 tries at each once the molds are ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope to spend tomorrow carving out vac-form bucks for the barrel and hopefully pulling styrene over them on Friday so I can carry this thing at X-Con Myrtle Beach on Saturday looking better than it did 2 weeks ago.

vac-form-bucks01.jpg

and a little more work here:

vac-form-bucks02.jpg

The bottom of the barrel is gonna be flat, but the top has tapers down toward the flash hider. The barrel also gets narrower (side to side) toward the flash hider. I'm gonna try to make a ridge with 3/4" pvc conduit (what my inner barrel is made of) so if I end up making a lot of these, it'll be a guide for trimming where to put the flash hider.

I might eventually make another buck for a box to make it more seamlessly attach to the main gun body. For my rifle, I'll probably just freehand cut something out of sintra to make that look vaguely like the DC-15x or MG-42.

Ok, so my frame/oven isn't quite big enough to handle those barrel bucks, but the top cover turned out pretty good. I've got a few more sheets of styrene to try and maybe a couple of cuts in the barrel pieces will make them fit, but I really want the barrel to look like one solid piece when viewed from the side.

I need to find a source for some other kind of plastic. Styrene cracks so easily, but I can drive less than a mile and pick up any size sheet I want. These are $10 sheets of .08 polystyrene. It's ok once it's on the gun. If I hadn't cracked it in a couple of places while trimming, I would leave this on there. I also need to make my scope mount smaller to match that raised part on the MG.

NE-vacparts01.jpg

NE-vacparts02.jpg

And one pic for comparison to the original MG42...

compare.jpg

ok man that is some pretty damn good detail on that mold. I can't wait to see how the rest turn out. have you checked with Granger supplies. they have sheets of ABS and such. though you'll have to search for the product number for them to help ya.

There is a Grainger Supply here in town. I hadn't thought to try there. I've asked around at sign shops and always heard "we could special order it, but it won't be cheap" or "don't know what ABS is."

A little more work today and yesterday. First, the vac-formed top cover fitted, painted and scope mount resized (although that still needs some work).

NE-body06.jpg

I am not keeping this vac pulled barrel. I'm just sort of test fitting it to see how it's going to work when I get a good pull. I think I'm gonna start over on the bucks and get rid of the tapered barrel, go for more like Marcel's flat one (with the rounded top). So here's an idea of what I'll be doing with a barrel when I've got one.

NE-barrel01.jpg

That's an aluminum "U" bar riveted to the bottom. I cut the 2 halves of the barrel out with a wider bottom edge on the left than the right, but the front/back are wider on the left, so they fit together like teeth or cogs. I glued another piece of sign material (I think it's vinyl) along the bottom to give me a surface to glue both sides to and I put a steel mending plate up near the front where the bipod is going to attach, just so I'll have a stronger base to hang that from.

NE-barrel02.jpg

NE-barrel03.jpg

And here's how the 3/4" conduit pvc pipe will sit on the "U" bar. I'm afraid the connector I use to attach the pipe to the main body is a little low, so that "U" bar is gonna make the barrel not want to line up with the body when I put them together. I'll have to figure that out some other day. As I have to go to work now.

NE-barrel04.jpg

And one last thing. It wasn't visible in the other pictures, but I shaved down the stock to a more accurate shape. This was a mess. I had never used a reciprocating saw before and I couldn't get it to stay clamped. A lot of time last week was spent fixing this. Lots of bondo and wood filler and sanding.

NE-stock01.jpg

Took another pass at vac-forming the barrel bucks today. They pulled a lot sharper. I am gonna assemble one like this (the MG-42) but I have been trying to make new bucks more like Marcel's rifle. It's a little too big for my vac-forming setup, so it might have to wait till I get motivated to build a heater and bigger frame.

ne-barrelvac00.jpg

ne-barrelvac01.jpg

ne-barrelvac02.jpg