DLT-19 & DC-15x Scratchbuild

So im finally starting my dlt-19, it wont be easy but i'll give it a try...

I'm using this schematics

MG34draft.gif

MG-34a_zps571fd3a1.png

For now i just cut and roughly assembled the base of the barrell,luckily i found the perfect plug for the end of the barrell.

2jdkrxz.jpg

11ag2v4.jpg

• Like 3

I was gonna build myself a heavy blaster last year, but got behind on other projects. Last week, my TD friend said something about making himself a DLT and I said if he cut out an extra body, I'd love to build a DC-15x (very similar body, different barrel). He says he's doing that this week. I will be watching your build as I start mine!

I was gonna build myself a heavy blaster last year, but got behind on other projects. Last week, my TD friend said something about making himself a DLT and I said if he cut out an extra body, I'd love to build a DC-15x (very similar body, different barrel). He says he's doing that this week. I will be watching your build as I start mine!

I dont like very much the barrell of the DC-15x,too squared for me,anyway here's a little update:finished drilling holes,it was a damn hellish work:two crooked drill bits,and the tube's internal coating slow down me very much...

alk9bo.jpg

I am for one a fan of the dc 15x and the DLT 19 so if I could find a body I'd love to have both barrels to interchange on the gun. I can't wait to see how you do for the body.

I planned to do it in wood,its not very difficult,but to do a good job i will need to add a lot of details,anyway i think this week i'll finish (maybe) the barrell.

Michael, the DC-15x will have a scope and the DLT won't. There's probably some other details that are significantly different that I'll find when I get started.

Basically the differences are the same of these,but the real DC-15x its not a real modified weapon,its only ''based'' on the MG42.

200781823107_284_kbs_MG34_and_MG42_lighter_DSC01120.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Gaunt, if you'd rather me start my own thread, I will. I think this is an interesting topic to have both builds together showing the differences. You're right that the DC-15x appeared first in a video game and therefore was not literally built on top of a physical real-world gun. I think that logically, the game designers picked a real world gun (very similar to the ones used for other large rifles in the game) and used it as their starting point in modeling though. It makes sense in the Star Wars universe that the weapons would be similar. Also, the Battlefront engine that the game used, was shared with WWII games. It's likely that previous designers had put a version of the MG42 in and when tasked with designing a sniper rifle from scratch or just sticking a scope on something that was already built in-game, the Star Wars Battlefront guys went with the easier choice.

I really feel that Marcel got the flash hider wrong in his build. It's my opinion that the flash hider's flat sides (hexagonal or octagonal) are a product of shortcuts in modeling. Remember, they thought it would only be seen very tiny, for a second or two on an analog television. In a 2004 game, running on the Playstation 2 hardware (released in 2000), the computing power to make a cone shape would have been significantly higher than those flat edges.

--------------------------------------------------------------

and now for my build notes and comparisons:

--------------------------------------------------------------

My friend (silverboyd) started work on his DLT last weekend and he cut out mine this weekend. I didn't mean for him to do twice the work. I would have cut it all out at once instead of cutting out one, assembling and sanding it then cutting out the other. I picked it up, took it home and started to glue it together(3 layers of 3/4in pine. I went back to the plans to see where those 3 screws are in the body of the MG42 (DC15x). I planned to put some screws thru for stability and if I put them in the same spots, I wouldn't have to fill and sand them. Looking at the plan, I decided on a whim to place the MG34 plan over the MG42 and compare them more closely for the first time. I might be building a DLT-19. There's a lot of differences that I didn't notice. I've had the pic Gaunt posted saved in my costumes/props folder for 6 months, but never looked at it very closely.

Here's a quick diagram I threw together. I scaled the higher resolution image (the 42) down until the handle/trigger overlapped the other, then checked the stock to see if it overlapped correctly. Since the handle and stock fit very closely, I think this is a good representation.

compare-34-42.jpg

If my friend cut out the body from the MG34 plans, it's going to be too short (height and length) to make an MG42. I might be able to add on top and hide the addition with a box placed where the shell casings would be ejected on the original. It looks like a separate piece sitting on top anyway.

The handle and trigger are pretty similar. The stock is the same, although shorter on the 42. See where it connects to the square body, where on the 34 it rounds to a cylinder and goes an inch or so before connecting? I'll be working on this a little tomorrow and possibly Monday, and I'll report back.

The details on the sides and much of where the barrel connects are very different. This could be more of a project than if I had just printed plans myself and cut it out. We both seem to have made more work out of what could have been a simpler project.

----------------------

In an example of me doing things the smart way and building something easy, would anyone be interested in styrene vac-formed barrels for this thing?I think that's the best way to do it: a PVC pipe barrel, with the squared barrel made of 2-3 vac formed pieces around it. I think I'd spend as much time building vac-form bucks as I would building one barrel. Why not make it something I can use to make more?

Why styrene? I spoke with Jeff from SC about getting ABS and he says it's probably not economical unless I buy A LOT OF IT, but all sign shops seem to carry styrene.

Oops, I was gonna edit and not reveal my mistake, but thought that would be sneaky.

Apparently Battlefront was not based on another game engine, so everything in it was created by that studio for a Star Wars game. From the LucasArts website FAQ released before the game: "Is Star Wars Battlefront using the same engine from an existing game? No, the engine for Star Wars Battlefront is a brand new engine developed by Pandemic Studios." I still think they would have used a gun model similar to something seen on screen, and the fact that the barrel is so similar to the MG42, they probably intended that to be the basis. They just didn't expect us to obsess over it this much!

Gaunt, if you'd rather me start my own thread, I will. I think this is an interesting topic to have both builds together showing thedifferences.

That's good Chris,a definitive build thread between those 2 guns would be great.I'm waiting to see your build :D

I've got the 3 layers of pine glued and screwed. I started putting some wood filler between the layers. There's a good bit of difference between the shape of the middle layer and the 2 outer ones. I'm not blaming silverboyd. He was short on lumber and I brought him a piece that was a little thin, so he had to adjust the template to fit. I'm just gonna have to spend a couple of days carving it with a dremel and palm sander to make it look even. The length seems to match the WOF templates, but the width is about 1cm more than it should be. I don't think I'm going to worry about that though. It's something no one will notice unless they've built one too.

I labeled my pictures because if silverboyd doesn't mind, I'll include his build in this thread. He's posted pictures for friends on facebook. I believe he's probably documenting it over on the MEPD boards because they've got the DLT-19 in their CRL as an official weapon.

NE-body01.jpg

NE-body02.jpg

NE-body03.jpg

I know there's some parts that I still gotta trim like the round thing on the top and the one behind the handle. Those are definitely not on the MG42, but are on the MG34. You can see I traced where I'll be the top cover (I'm thinking aluminum sign for the material) will overlap the main body. I've got a lot of filling (actually cut thin slivers of wood for some parts) to do where the stock doesn't line up on the three layers. When putting it together, I thought it was more important that the front/top line up than the back/bottom.

Very nice bro, I'm going to build one also in the summer.

The Dc15-x is not actually based on the MG42 at all,the only similar pieces are the wooden butt, grips and rough stock shape. The barrel is completely different guys, the DC has a rounded top to it, different vent holes and also the barrel tip is completed a different shape. As are all the greblies on it.

Then what is Dengar's rifle in ESB? It's definitely based on an MG42.

Yes it's a MG42,but it seems part of the stock is removed,anyway good start Chris,but i would have done the handgrip and the middle layer in one piece,it looks more sturdy...i'll buy the wood tomorrow.I planned to take 1.8 cm planks.How much thick is yours?

If someone of the website can please change the thread title to ''DLT-19 & DC-15x scratchbuilds'' would be great.Thanks

I believe mine were 3/4 inch planks, so 1.8cm is pretty close. I would have done the handgrip as part of the middle layer too, but last year, silverboyd dropped his T-21 when the strap slipped off. The handgrip/trigger broke off. I took it home, made a new handgrip/trigger and reattached for him. So he thought it would be a good idea to make it a separate piece in case it breaks on this one, just two screws to remove to put a new one on there.

Yes it's a MG42,but it seems part of the stock is removed,anyway good start Chris,but i would have done the handgrip and the middle layer in one piece,it looks more sturdy...i'll buy the wood tomorrow.I planned to take 1.8 cm planks.How much thick is yours?

If someone of the website can please change the thread title to ''DLT-19 & DC-15x scratchbuilds'' would be great.Thanks

Title edit done. :)

I believe I'll be building my flash hider from this funnel and the tip of an old Luke ROTJ lightsaber. The diameter of the lightsaber part is pretty consistent with the WOF template. I'll still have to make the curves fit and the lower part with the holes, but this is a great base to build on.

NE-flash01.jpg

Got these in the mail today from airsplat.com. The bipod was only $10 and I picked the cheapest scope that looks like what Marcel used. Anyone got ideas for attaching the bipod? I think I'm gonna have to drill that rivet out and attach something that swivels.

NE-parts01.jpg

I haven't documented my build on MEPD or CG forums yet but feel free to use any of my pix on here.

This week I worked on my barrel. Drilled out holes on the template I made from scratch. Drilled out the holes utilizing a 3/8" diameter drill bit. I have an inner barrel too but haven't cut it yet.

BA843188-1A91-4880-BA9D-AE89A6F464AA_zpsmipik4sd.jpg

A26E3B0C-8E8A-4C0B-8D5B-5B8AE8CFCBAA_zpssyejggad.jpg

9B9033B1-5ED7-4AA1-886F-5D2FC34C6D6F_zpsqsgi96ye.jpg

I'm planning on building my bipod from scratch using 12" shelf support brackets from (ClosteMaid brand)

(http://www.homedepot...93?N=5yc1vZc89l) & 1" dowel rod pieces. I'll elaborate later.

Dengars is indeed an mg42 with the wooden butt taken off, the DC15-x is the battle front scout sniper rifle, but this is completely different to the MG 42 Dengar uses. No scouts carry an MG 42 based rifle

• Like 1

Marcel, until there's a specific rifle detailed on the scouts 501st CRL or some source material besides a low res video game, I think it makes more sense to assume the scouts use a rifle that is based on something that was seen in the original trilogy. I don't mean to sound disrespectful, and I'm definitely using your build as a guide. You did a great job. I just think that some liberties were taken in the design of the video game and shouldn't be taken so seriously. Is there some reference material for the DC-15x elsewhere, perhaps used by someone other than scouts?

The sideshow collectable premium scout's rifle looks very simplified, but could be the body of an MG42. Your barrel matches that one (except for the round flash hider). That one also has a slant to the bottom of the handgrip, where yours is parallel to the body of the gun like the MG42. Yeah, Jason, that's another difference I gotta deal with converting your wood-cut to what I need. Glad I told you to make the handgrip bigger to accommodate the scout gloves!

I think with something like an expanded universe weapon, it should be ok to "customize" it a little. There's like 6 variants of the DL-44 and just as many of the E-11 on screen. One would assume a small detachment, like scouts, would be separated from the main armed forces for long periods of time and would naturally have some elements of customization or even improvised repair or modification on their weapons. I also agree with the discussion that cropped up in the thread about adding it to the CRL, that only one scout per troop should be carrying a sniper rifle. There's no reason for them all to have them. I plan to use this mostly with my Mandalorian (in progress) anyway, but if someone asks, I'll be calling it a DC-15x.

------------------

Also, I'd love some advice on what to do with this bi-pod. I kinda expected it to come with a mounting mechanism. I guess I could build a rail to clip it on, then remove it to set up as a bi-pod, but I'd like for it to be permanently attached and still functional.