Scout.Trooper's Scout Trooper Build!

scout.trooper

She can sew!!!!

Started hand sewing the elastic straps on my smaller armor pieces so it doesn't fray. Did a "back stitch" (I guess that's what it's called) with heavy thread and a needle sharp enough to make you swear when you stab yourself in the finger. It looks kinda sloppy in the pictures, but it's pretty sturdy and in the end that's what I was going for.

VaD36z5.jpg

I then sewed on the elastic over the fold-over to make it super strong.

Dn8rSEz.jpg

3eKzvYi.jpg

Was able to finish only one of the forearm guards. I've got the other one, both elbow, both bicep, and both knee pieces to sew. Anybody know a good song to sew to?

• Like 1

Finished the forearm plates!

(Also, if anyone know how to make these pictures smaller, let me know!)

Vz66UXL.jpg?2

Er56Od0.jpg?2

I then noticed that for the front and back plates, the strap holes were too narrow.

33Txb9E.jpg?2

Took an exacto knife and trimmed the insides a bit. When I got closer to the shape that I wanted, I "shaved" the plastic away instead of sawing it.

bby6h2j.jpg?2

It was a bit rough on the inside (don't want the straps to get snagged), so I took a fine grit sanding sponge and sanded the inside of the armor. I didn't do the outside of the armor because it removes the finish and the rough plastic was mainly only on the inside anyway.

Dhv7fLK.jpg?2

ZFvocZl.jpg?2

Received my bund this week (thanks, Jim!). It's a bit snug for my frame so I've decided to extend it a bit. I only really need a few inches extra.

ONkUNTJ.jpg?1

g4yCEka.jpg?1

My thoughts were to add fabric to the left side of the bund (the soft velcro closure side), remove the soft velcro, then re-sew the soft velcro to the new piece of fabric.

About how much extra room I need to add

wzHwKxw.jpg?1

A piece of paper showing how I plan to add the fabric.

cIEHxqp.jpg?1

Hopefully, the end product will look like this but without the soft velcro showing

oFfcir8.jpg?1

Tips appreciated, especially in regards to the bund extension. Anyone else had to do something similar for their build? I want to make sure the bund passes inspection with my mods.

Hey there, Mickey. What do you mean by that? Seam-rip the entire pants leg apart? Um, is there an easier way? How would I sew the pants leg back together?

well you dont have to do the whole leg just the part opposite the patch. That way you can lay the pants flat without worrying about stitching through to the other side. Then when you are done, you just sew the leg seam back up. You could also use that as an opportunity to bring in some of the bagginess of the coveralls, depending on the size of your legs.

I dont know if there's an easier way. That's the way I....I mean my mom.... did it!

Oh and to sew it back up you would just turn the leg inside out and sew it back together

well you dont have to do the whole leg just the part opposite the patch. That way you can lay the pants flat without worrying about stitching through to the other side. Then when you are done, you just sew the leg seam back up. You could also use that as an opportunity to bring in some of the bagginess of the coveralls, depending on the size of your legs.

I dont know if there's an easier way. That's the way I....I mean my mom.... did it!

Oh and to sew it back up you would just turn the leg inside out and sew it back together

Oh, I gotcha! I will try that, thanks :)

• Like 1

Okay, ran into a small problem...

Read the CRL and it says the check and back armor need to be attached by 2" webbing or elastic.

FaOnrIg.jpg

Well, I went out and bought some but didn't realize how big it is. My armor indentions are only 1.5" wide and, if I were to try and extend the holes, I'd be running outside the indentions and into the armor plate itself which would probably ruin the integrity of the plastic in that section.

Below, the 2" elastic I bought with dotted lines to better see the width.

Ko2MtwD.jpg

The actual measurement of the indention

FY9Q7rM.jpg?1

Is 2" webbing/elastic an absolute MUST? Or can I get away with 1.5"? That's just the way the armor was made.

There's also good news... bought the necessary materials for my vest build (thanks to Thing who provided me with an awesome tutorial!). Below is the heavy weight cotton shirt with dotted lines showing how I plan to cut it up. I'll end up removing the sleeves, making the fabric-batting-fabric sandwich Thing told me to do, then re-sewing the sleeves on. I'll be using the bottom half of the shirt for the other half of the sandwich. I also plan to cut the neck a bit wider then just hem it a bit so there's no fray.

HqzvOKs.jpg?1

• Like 1

Also, does anyone know where I can find:

2" sewable black elastic

2" black sew-to-sew velcro (not sticky back)?

The elastic is for the thigh straps for the flight suit and the velcro is for the back of the flak vest. Haven't been able to find any either locally or online. Or would it be okay to use x2 1" velcro stips put together for the back of the vest (if they were set down vertically next to each other)?

I got most of my stuff from Joann Fabrics but their selection has been really bare lately. Tried Hobby Lobby too... little bit better selection but not what I need. Never heard of Hancock Fabrics... sounds cool but it's probably local to where you guys are. I'll probably end up getting that 2" elastic from online. Now I just can't find the 2" black velcro. If the side-by-side 1" velcro will pass inspection for non-Lancer status, then I guess I can do that.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that you can use 1.5 elastic on the chest piece. I believe that was changed.... or is going to be changed... or something. I'll need to find the thread. But that's what I ended up using, because 2 inches is clearly too wide based on screenshots from the film.

So, yeah, was having a bad day...

Now I'm not!

8ka0CDF.jpg

I know I'm missing my pouches, my bicep armor plates are a bit saggy, I'm not wearing a flak vest, I'm pooping white webbing (because I forgot to cut off the extra stuff from the belt) and yeah, I'm doing the Superman pose so my belt stays up... but it's a scout!

• Like 5

Been looking that extra helmet padding and found this:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/helmet+parts/bell_replacement+liner+for+rs-1+helmets

For $20, it looks pretty comfortable. Don't know about size but if it's big enough, I can just stuff it inside the helmet without having to glue it in there.

In my buckets, I use a Walmart foam topper (used on beds), that I cut into 2" wide by 10" length rectangles. I fit those in the lid using Velcro circles (one side on the foam, one side on the lid), so they can be removed, or reset. Both my scouts are done this way and it works very well and can be easily adjusted.

Cost: $8

http://www.walmart.c...r-Twin/10055840

Ran into a few problems... mainly my sticky elastic pulling away from my armor pieces. It happened on all of them :(

UvyFDK6.jpg

HfMiuTc.jpg

It seems that the problem was the tighter I pulled and set the elastic on the armor, the more overhang I had on the sticky-back elastic. This caused the edges to pull up. I pulled off the old stuff, wiped down the plastic, then laid down some new sticky-back velcro further away from the end of the elastic loops.

GTuqh5e.jpg

It seems to be doing fine, but I'm still getting a little bit of "pull up" on it. Thoughts? I was also thinking about doing this as an alternative if the velcro kept pulling up:

z32R7il.jpg

Would this type of closure be acceptable for clearance? I'm just afraid that this would put too much stress on the slots that were cut into the plastic since the elastic would be pulling on the weakest point of it.

Bought some 2" thick semi-rigid foam for the pouches. I measured the pouches as best as I could and came up with a rough outline. I then used an exacto knife to cut the shape out.

isJHsu7.jpg

GLEU4Xl.jpg?3

The result is a pouch rigid enough to hold shape but is squishy enough not to hurt when you bend down (thanks to all those scouts who replied to my thread about what they use in their pouches!)

GfMqerz.jpg?2

SBrUTqb.jpg?2

9r8elED.jpg?2

[1U85HvI.jpg?2

So when I'm ready to sew these pouches on to the bund, do they get sewn on like this:

BahjRno.jpg?2

Or like this?:

s8H24gw.jpg?2

Started on the chest armor. Got the 1 1/2" white elastic in the slots. Was going to follow PandaTrooper's tutorial and just velcro them on the inside but, with all the trouble I had with that on the arm pieces, I don't know if it will hold. Was thiking about 2 different alternatives:

Sew one end shut (as shown by the safety pin below) and then velcro only one side inside the armor. Would this be okay for clearance or does it have to be a seamless piece of elastic that's attatched to the inside armor?:

zWf9keK.jpg?1

Or just have one piece of elastic go all the way around and attatch it to the front by a snap buckle:

lRUWp4F.jpg?2

I'm having doubts about that last one because if the buckle is in front, it would probably dig into the chest area.

Anyway, got the velcro attatched to the inside shoulder plates. This is where the "T" belt will go that will attach to the shoulder armor.

ZqMiVCn.jpg

That's it for the chest armor right now. I'm not going to finish the straps until I can figure out how to get that damn tank attatched to the back...

I cut up my heavy cotton shirt to prep it for sewing. I will be taking the sleeves off as well as hem the bottom and neck (sleeves to be re-attached later!)

This is the first try:

TS4aCsq.jpg?2

I re-measured the vest with the armor on and realized that it was still too long. I marked the shirt with chalk, cut it again, and modded the sleeves and neck. The sleeves should reach just below the shoulder bells (after hemming) and the neck should be slightly lower than the top of the chest "U".

Z67B799.jpg?2

The next problem were the greeblies that came with my belt pack... the flat bottom of the rectangle and the button greeblies made it impossible to attach:

Rectangle:

UdhBRn0.jpg

Button:

AVVvyuv.jpg

I tried sanding it down to round it out but that didn't work. The rectangle greeblie itself was even too big for the belt pack face... it's right up against the zip tie:

qGbZhtk.jpg?1

So what's a girl to do? Well, with some hot jams on my ipod, 5 hours of time, and a LOT of patience, I built new greeblies with a 3D modelling program and printed them out in black plastic with a 3D printer. I also scaled the greeblies down and rounded out the bottoms so they would fit in the recess of the belt pack.

Original on top, new one on the bottom:

DzNRUjM.jpg

Rk64XR0.jpg

Rounded bottom of the rectangular greeblie:

Jr1gY7Q.jpg

Rounded bottom of the button:

tPFp1AL.jpg

New rectangular greeblie on the pack:

lSXEwwU.jpg

How it sits:

iO2HdE0.jpg

Button:

fhEYEcJ.jpg

Let me know what you think and if they would pass clearance. I know you can see the print lines, but I think with a little sanding to smooth them out it should be a perfect match.