Fiberglass helmet crack repair

I finally received my CB. Though extremely happy to finally have, i have discovered 2 small cracks. They aren't visible while worn but a problem nonetheless. they are located where the visor mates with the back half of the helmet (im sure there is a term for this so please enlighten me) right where he installed straps for the chin cup.

I have ordered some zap a gap as per a suggestion from a fellow 501ster and intend to use that to repair crack then reinforce that with some Fixit Sculpt that i do currently have.

if anyone has alternate methods they are more than welcome.

20131210_1114101.jpg

20131210_102646.jpg

Really a laminate shouldn't crack like that unless it's been subjected to some serious abuse (which you would see evidence of on the box if it occurred during shipping).

If this isn't the case, then it's an issue with the lay-up.

To repair it... You're best off using Fibreglass.

You can get some resin and matt pretty cheaply.

If it were me...

I'd "V" out the crack on the outside of the lid with a dremel or similar. I'd then fill that channel with a little bit of white Gel Coat. You can either use a smidge of Gel, or you can get a filler.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/370816913933?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&limghlpsr=true&lpid=101&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=101&ff19=0

When this is dry, it can be sanded and flatted back to create the smooth surface again.

I'd then lay up a couple of layers of Mat across the back of the crack. You don't have to span it by much, but you do need to go over it by about 10-15mm each side.

By just gluing it, you will leave that bit liable to cracking again. And it will.....

I have, he offered one. I'm just hesitant because of the previous wait time. In his defense the majority of the ship time was the carriers screw up.

He also offered step by step instructions that i am waiting on. I'll go from there to make a final decision on what I'll do.

If he's offered a replacement...

I'd say take him up on the offer. Obviously you'll need to send your original lid back, but I'd only do that once the replacement has arrived and you're happy with it's condition.

Cracks like this shouldn't happen in fresh GRP laminate, unless it's been stressed.

• Like 1