Costuming Prop Policy?

Hello, all! In the interest of finishing off my scout, I've been looking into getting a resin prop blaster when I came across these instructions on the Legion page: http://www.501st.com.../Weapons_policy "

Being a global organization, our members are subject to a wide variety of local and regional regulations regarding replica weapons/props. In an effort to be sensitive to these requirements, the 501st has adopted a policy that weapons/props (including light sabers) are not required for membership. This ensures that all troopers will be viewed equally, regardless of regional regulations.

We encourage all members to be aware of their local regulations and, if legal to do so, carry an accurate prop for the characters they represent." Does anyone know of any special costuming regulations regarding props?

You would need to check locally to be sure. In Texas, replica weapons are allowed but are subject to inspection and "peace bonding". The local law enforcement sets up shop at conventions and has to review the replica, ensure there are no moving parts, and then clasp a "peace bond" over the trigger and/or grips. It's a fairly simple process. I have been to some events where an orange tip was also required. But, in my time in the Legion (2+ years now), I have never had a problem. :)

I'd suggest asking around the Midwest Garrison, but over here in Indiana, it varies by site. Most smaller venues have been fine with us carrying weapons while in costume, and the bigger Cons sometimes ask to check. A handful of events request no weapons at all. For the most part, our venues seem to assume that an armored trooper is carrying a safe toy, and of course we're careful to respect that.

Your Garrison or the event contact will generally advise ahead of time what the weapons policy will be at a particular event.

My personal policy is: (1) never openly carry a weapon when not in costume (this is why I haven't purchased a DL19), and (2) treat it like a real weapon when not specifically posing for a picture, i.e. muzzle in a safe direction and finger out of the trigger guard. But most importantly, just be level-headed. Go right up to security and ask their feelings, talk to them, and respect their concerns. Then it all works out well on all fronts.

• Like 1

Just like they said, use common sense, and be mindful when interacting with crowds or kids. There are usually guidelines for certain troops depending on your location, but a TB blaster is usually nothing to worry about anywhere you go. Whenever in doubt, just ask your squad leader or garrison CO before a troop. Most (decent) event organizers (usually) have the common sense to realize stormtroopers & similar characters only carry fake weapons & advise their security staff of such. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Like BJ said, once you get into the 501st you'll see in your local garrison that some events are specifically labeled "no blasters." On Star Wars Reads day, we weren't supposed to have any blasters at the county library. I think the scout's boot holster looks weird without a blaster in it, so I specifically asked the person in charge and was told that I could leave it in the holster. Every troop is different and every security/law enforcement person is different. Went to a party a couple of weeks before Halloween last year and then went bar hopping downtown in costume. I thought our Cobra Vipers would have trouble carrying airsoft rifles that looked real, so I made sure I took em apart, pulled out the trigger, and we painted them white (like the action figures). The only cop who stopped us didn't even look at the guns; he didn't like the mirrored visors on our helmets. Two weeks before Halloween, he was worried about not seeing our faces.

The scout's blaster is pretty obviously a prop, but not everyone is as familiar with guns and Star Wars as we are. At DragonCon, all weapon props are supposed to be peace bonded, but every scout I asked said they never bothered with their blasters. I asked about it when getting our Cobra guns peace bonded and the guy checking them said something about how many weird guns he's come across in his life that didn't look like guns, but were still capable of firing a projectile. I replied that if someone wanted to go to the trouble of fabricating a gun that doesn't look like a real gun just for the purpose of bringing it into an event like this, wouldn't it be easier to just buy their own yellow zip-ties to fake the peace bonding. It's all an illusion to make everyone feel safer. Of course, at an all ages event with lots of different attractions, if a child's overprotective mother doesn't know what we're dressed as and sees what she thinks is a real gun, she can freak out and cause a problem for everyone. So back to the original rule, it's up to the event coordinators to decide and to make it clear to the attendees that their event is safe.