Dane's SC Helmet WIP

Dane

Visor looks good, but I'd trim a bit more off the upper portion. The ears look fine, don't trim any more there.

Thanks, Jim. I filed down the upper part of the visor this morning.

Is there's thread that shows exactly how to properly put together an SC bucket? I've looked and can't find anything. I can see the general shape it is supposed to take, but I don't know where to glue the pieces together. Help! :)

The SC bucket came with helmet bolts, but they are way too big, I think, to use on my helmet. The square post underneath sticks out 3mm and would prevent my visor from opening. Unless I'm missing something.

I used a washer of the same size as the bolt head and a small screw in the center. I used two washers between the visor and bucket layers and two under the bolt. I needed to see how the whole thing comes together. It looks good, but I have a huge space on top of the visor. Is this correct? I can't see how else this bucket goes together.

image_zpsc975e732.jpg

Very little. Just cut out the visor, which had an outlined pattern in the inside, and the ear holes. Sanded all around the edges. Take your time. I put it all together with tape to study the overall shape before bringing in the drill and cutting.

Guest hel0wrench

I didn't think it would be too much. The gap between the top and the blinders had me worried. I've got mine taped up at home and I keep looking at it throughout the morning and evening to make sure it doesn't look off. I'll get some pics up soon so we can reference each other's build.

I am in the middle of a build for a friends SC bucket (practice for mine that should be on the way soon), I found I had to do a little clean up and do some trimming of the underneath of the face plate and also the sides to match the back section. Also the holes that had been pre drilled in some of the pieces did not align properly so I have had to adjust for a better fit. I am used to make TK buckets so a bit of trimming and aligning wasn't scary for me. I have had a good search but unfortunately have not as yet found a really good SC bucket build.

I'm building my SC helmet kit right now too. May have to jump on in this with you guys, haha. Been going somewhat blindly. Trying to figure out how to attach the face plate with the rest of the helmet (dome)

Did you glue the top visor thing to the face plate yet? Align the edges of both and tape together to get a feel for how it is supposed to look. I had a look at mine over a couple of days before committing to glue. I only glued the top and the recessed where the big bolt goes. After that dried I drilled, put in 1/8" bolts w/ nuts and washers. Works fine, but it won't stay closed. I'm thinking a small piece of Velcro will do the trick, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hel0wrench

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=11009

Here's another SC build. This might help us along with the collective feedback and our own trial and error. I'm going to start cutting and glueing tonight after work. How did you start your cuts for the ears and visor? I was thinking of using a Dremel to get a rough shape and sanding to finish and smooth.

Well for the visor, I just kind of went for it. Used a cutting dremel bit and started cutting it out. Then a sanding dremel bit to smooth it out. Be wary of the dremel though, it can sometimes grab on something and pull your hand suddenly, sometimes making an unwanted mark. As for the ears, I haven't cut them out yet

Guest hel0wrench

Well for the visor, I just kind of went for it. Used a cutting dremel bit and started cutting it out. Then a sanding dremel bit to smooth it out. Be wary of the dremel though, it can sometimes grab on something and pull your hand suddenly, sometimes making an unwanted mark. As for the ears, I haven't cut them out yet

Yeah I use one at work occasionally and I know what you mean. If you get a sanding bit in a tight space and it grabs it'll chew up everything. I can only imagine how much damage it could do to lightweight ABS.

I'll give the plastic epoxy a shot. Thanks for the tip.

If you can get a clear drying epoxy it will be even better. I got the one that dries opaque... It's more yellow and I had some excess squeeze out so in top of my visor it's not super pretty. It'll be alright for now seeing as you can only really see it if you're looking from the top

Don't know if it's just the picture but it looks like the left side (looking from the front) lens edge is a bit more curved than the right. I found that this happened to mine when I was cutting out. I just went a tad further than the original "outline" to fix it.

• 3 weeks later...