Cummerbund and boots are a hot mess... "Caveat emptor." (Pic heavy thread!)

Guest Axelay

I think it's likely to have been the latter.

But yes... rather rubbish. If you put an offer in, and the person accepts it, I'm sure you're bound by the T&C's of the bay that you're obliged to complete the transaction.

He does sound like an all-round douche.

• Like 2

Huh. OK, this certainly got lively while I wasn't paying attention. Let me see if I can provide some information. As Sgt. Joe Friday would say, "All we want are the facts, ma'am."

Disclaimer: I'm trying to not make enemies here. I have a fair amount of confidence that the person in question does not visit this site. Even if he does, then I stand by what I state here. My business with him is completed as far as I'm concerned. As a very new person around here, I can say with certainty that this community has VERY high costuming standards, which I admire tremendously. I share my experience only because I think that it may help keep the standards as high as they are. I am NOT angry with the seller nor do I feel cheated. A little disappointed, yes, but not angry.

- I found the auction listing at the start of September. It was originally set for $1200. I did make some requests for advice through the boards here. Most people advised me to stay away. The one thing which really got my interest was that the seller is located in the same state where I live, and I figured I could save quite a bit on shipping. Even more so, it would give me the opportunity to see the armor firsthand so that if I felt like I was being ripped off, then I could bail out.

- I decided to take the advice of established BSN members and not do anything about the auction. What changed, though, was that the seller contacted me directly and offered me the whole suit for half price: $600. I was very tempted and asked a few questions about the condition and level of completion of the armor. I was told that the helmet's visor was missing, but that that was the only thing which was not complete. I was also told that I would have a brand new cummerbund and boots made for my size. All of this was sounding pretty good, but I still decided to hold off. The first red flag is that the seller had no awareness of requiring a vest in order to make the costume "complete."

- The original listing was taken down and put up again the next day with an opening bid of $500. At this point, I felt like I might as well roll the dice. My main reason to get this suit was to have something really special for my school's Fall Festival on October 31st (I'm a teacher), and I felt like I had time to make corrections or improvements if necessary. If I saw something which I didn't like, then I could also deal with that face-to-face. The seller was VERY communicative after this had been relisted, and asked a few times if I would be able to pay immediately upon close of the auction. I inquired why he was so anxious to sell, and was told that his transportation had been stolen and that he urgently needed a replacement.

- I drove to the seller's residence and picked up the armor. It was apparent to me that it was in dire need of a good cleaning. However, I did NOT see anything which was beyond repair or even damaged. Aside from the missing visor, there were no cracks, scratches, or signs of abuse. The quality of the hard armor seemed just fine and did not strike me as a knockoff or recast. I figured that with some hard work, this suit could be made to be 501st-ready. The seller had commented that he originally intended to try to get in, but I remember thinking to myself that in the suit's current condition... ain't gonna happen.

- The paint work on the helmet was... sloppy. The snout was rather a mess. You can see photos of this in another of my threads. The faceplate was being held on by big metal machine shop-type bolts. Not even remotely screen-accurate, and stood out like a sore thumb. I have ordered a new snout, bolts, and decals from Lonewolf.

- The decals on the suit were very unevenly placed. I have since removed every single one and am reapplying.

- There was a great deal of excess hot glue all over the armor. Again, it was nothing which some Goo-Gone and some hard work couldn't fix.

- The jumpsuit and gloves are actually a perfect fit for me and are up to spec. I was pleasantly surprised by this.

- I did catch a glimpse of a cummerbund and boots which were not mine. They looked very tattered and frayed. This was red flag #2. I recall thinking that I would very likely need to seek out a higher quality replacement if this was the level of craftsmanship which was going to be included with what I had already bought. I decided to give the seller the benefit of the doubt because he indicated that he was getting a new sewing machine up and running. Since I was prepared for this contingency, though, I wasn't at all surprised by what I eventually received (see the photos on the first page).

- I was told by the seller that the suit which I bought was "original." I didn't understand what exactly that meant. He did not have any information about the origin of the cast. I suspect that he just flat out didn't know. I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to distinguish one crafter from another, so it was a very minor point for me at the time. He told me that he had another suit "on the way," and he was intending to assemble it and sell it on eBay as well. I do not have any information about the quality or the origin of any of this suit (or these suits, from the sound of it). I could only speculate what's been going on since I bought my suit.

- In all, I spent $500 on the hard armor, jumpsuit, and gloves. I've had to buy replacements for the cummerbund, vest, snout, bolts, decals, and a scope for the blaster. I got a new balaclava. I still need a helmet liner. I'm going to have to recraft the boots, but I *think* I can do it... I'm still coming in at around $700.

- I've already gotten a LOT of support from members here to try to get this armor 501st-ready. DarthVorhees is hard at work on repainting the helmet, I ordered a new vest and cummerbund from Cucblack, and I've gotten a lot of general assembly advice from NegativeEleven. Griffin-X has been extremely helpful in pointing out good tutorials and sites from which I should order replacement accessories. I've been reading the standards and different tutorials (which are AWESOME) listed on site like a crazy person because I want to be very detail-oriented about this. I know that it's still not going to be perfect the first time I get it all together, but it will at least be a HUGE improvement on what it previously was. I will continue to tinker with it until I feel like it's "just right."

- I do aspire to eventually be part of the 501st.

- This community is absolutely amazing. Y'all don't know me from Adam's housecat, but people have really gone out of their way to try to help me turn this experience into a win. I still feel like it can be done, and I have no buyer's remorse. A little disappointment, sure. I've certainly bought other things on eBay which turned out to be a much worse experience than this.

Thanks for posting this information. I know it'll help others from being tricked into getting this junk.

We are all here to help, and glad to do it. Most of us have had experiences too, some good, and some bad. All in all, it forms the basis for our experience level in costuming. Although I'm sorry you dealt with this guy, I am glad it was not too bad and you did not overly spend your hard earned income. You have a great attitude and that will take you far!

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo! I got my replacement cummerbund/pouches and vest from Cucblack today! They are of fantastic quality. I am so pleased to have gotten them before Halloween. I'll try to get some photos when I can.

I think I already know the answer to this, but I just want to be certain. When putting on the cummerbund and vest, which goes on top if there is any overlap? Shouldn't the vest go over the cummerbund so that they might potentially be velcroed together?

Quick smartphone shot. I think I may have managed to salvage the boots! The tutorials on this site are GREAT if a newbie like me can do this.

IMG_20131028_225655_781.jpg

Progress so far:

- Vest, complete.

- Cummerbund, complete. (Need to finalize correct pouch placement.)

- Belt/thigh boxes/detonator, complete. (HUGE improvement here. I don't have photos yet, but I am SO proud of how this turned out.)

- Gloves, complete.

- Blaster, complete.

- Backpack, 90% complete. (Have replaced webbing, and installed correct rivets. Need tank stripes.)

- Boots, 50%.

Awaiting the arrival of my helmet hopefully tomorrow.