Biker Scout shoulder bells and a lip around them

lonewolf

I added this detail to my last costume, it is not on any available armour versions atm , it is seen in the ROTJ movie although very vague.

Anybody else added this small detail ?

A bit too wide but I thought it look pretty nice at the time,

bikerscoutshoulderbell3_zps7f4a5162.jpg

Original armour close ups,

bikerscoutshoulderbelllip_zps2926f53e.jpg

bikerscoutshoulderbelllip2_zps441c8ed2.jpg

I've added the lip to a couple special builds i've done for clients. Next year we move to .060 ABS plastic for certain parts, and then we'll add this to our molds. Right now we use .080 ABS and it's a bit too thick to reproduce the proper look.

well, seeing as I just made a new buck for my shoulder armour and am in the process of detailing it.

seems silly not to.

I was going to ask Andi about this as he mentioned it a while back.

It does appear to be some form of trim line that they've not quite stuck to. Difficult to reproduce on thick material, but we'll give it a go.

Watch how I get my armor before anybody offers the lips and I can't go for lancer down the line due to no lip. seems like a minor detail to not let somebody get lancer status... IMHO it shouldn't be a requirement but a bonus if you have it...

But that's just my 2 cents... I obviously don't have a say in all this

If you look here....

http://www.studiocre...64_mvc-346f.jpg

It's on the bicep too.

It's incredibly uniform, and very very close to the edge of the armour panel.

You can also very faintly see it around the inner part of the chest too.

I wonder if it's a bi-product of their cutting/trimming process?

Yes it is, slightly less obvious on some parts, and it is on other armour parts as well.

I think it is a cutting machine edging mark, as you say it is vaguely seen on the chest plate and other parts of the armour. I wondered about the same line around the helmet lip and edges as well!

bikerscoutlip_zpsb377b40c.jpg

They are all very neat and uniform, possibly a pneumatic nibbler or some other fast dremmel style cutting device for cutting out the pieces or a finishing toolmark .

Now I need to find a tool that will leave an edge just like the original :rolleyes:. If this works it will be an easy modification to premade armour pieces!!

Its a detail that can go on if troopers so wish, from what I see its a detail that's not made to be there intentionally. More of a trim line that wasn't adhered to, or some other mould/trim process like you say guys. I certainly wouldn't turn down a lancer app with it on, but wouldn't make it a requirement for lancer. Its just not big enough to be a intentional edge in my eyes.

The line does give the armour a nice finished look to it around the edges

• Like 1

To be honest, all the reference shots are of the MoM exhibit, which we know isn't all screen-used stuff (hence the unfinished bicep bit in the photo).

I'd have to say that it's more of a curl from the edge being cut than an intentional detail (as Marcel has suggested).

If we could find a screen grab where we could see this detail, I'd imagine that'd be the decisive source.

Every screengrab shows this detail, it is on every suit. If it is a consequence of trimming marks it will be on them all.

The MOM suit is identical to the screenused suits ,exception is only the red square .[ doesn't mean it wasn't in the movie]. I can see no other difference.

The detail ,I believe , is the way they were trimmed, still trying to figure this out.

It's just a mould line and definitely not an added detail like what you have done. You have over-exaggerated this and it's not meant to be a feature of the armour. I don't like the look of it and I wouldn't advise anyone to try copying it since it is nothing more than the edge of the mould and not a new 'feature'.

I trimmed some ABS parts yesterday and saw the same edge left on them if I didn't trim inside the edge of the mould. This edge you are seeing is just where the ABS flares out after the finished part. I would concentrate more on the actual shapes of the armour rather than the finished edges. Just some friendly advise :)