How to paint Biker Scout helmet nose section

I posted this up a while back but for the new guys thought it may help slightly,

Using 3mm quality masking tape mark out and gauge about half way on the nose face and slowly and carefully apply the tape in one piece if possible right down and ovver the "chin" section. Use a second piece of tape to mark the lower part. Use the gallery here for reference pics.

Cover the rest of the helmet in paper, taking it right up to the masked nose section, plenty of newspaper is needed to avoid any overspray on the helmet!

Using a plastic primer first so the black will adhere better and also gives the edges a better sharpness,wait until dry then spray the nose section in black matt, shiney is not so nice imo,

IMG00325-20111004-2220.jpg

IMG00326-20111004-2221.jpg

remove the newspaper after the paint is dried,

IMG00328-20111004-2222.jpg

IMG00329-20111004-2222.jpg

Remove the tape carefully to avoid removing any paint with it,

IMG00330-20111004-2223.jpg

IMG00334-20111004-2224.jpg

Fit the nose detail and backplate,

Photo1335.jpg

The end result should look sharp and clean,

Photo1333.jpg

The most diffficult part is trying to get a nice even curve on the top part, try not to stretch the masking tape either, or touch the sticky side of the tape with your greasy fingers. It is a good idea to wipe the nose section with panel wipe prior to taping and spraying as well.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Looks great John, your previous tutorial helped me out. I recently did this technique on my new MLC lid too. For the curve, I laid out a piece of 3M tape and used a whiskey shot glass as a template and cut the curve in the tape. Then I laid that down over the top portion and sprayed it.

MLC3-scout-lid-2013_2_zpsff141fdc.jpg

• Like 1

I followed another tutorial here and used car masking film which I cut to shape.

It's the orange thing in this pic:

th_P1000253.jpg

and the result:

th_P1000256.jpg

It got a bit flared on the lower right, but I used a blade and corrected that quite easily.

In short, many ways to do this. Should anyone wonder which way is the best, well... Lonewolf is the master ;)

• Like 1