Helmet padding recommendations?

Guest Gosdent

Guest Gosdent

Hey guys, I just ordered a Studio Creations helmet and was wondering what you guys do for padding inside your buckets. I know of the hard-hat, strap style lining method, but I like the look and feel of actual padding. So, what do you guys use? Pics would be nice to see as well, if you have them. Also, I came across this manufactured padding on ebay by FenixProps in Argentina. They say it is made to fit Don Post helmets, but will work with other 1/1 scale helmets. The pictures they posted of it in the listing look pretty good, but what do you guys think of it? Thanks for any help!

You dont want that padding. Belive me you'll make all the TK's & other costumes jealous when you can lift your face mask to get air & they cant. Just get some lite paddind for the dome & sides. You can buy military type foam padding from ebay or anairsoft store. Peel & stick where you need them.

Guest SUP_Ronin

That padding you mention is a 2 piece set, so you could still lift the visor. I don't know how well it fits the bucket or your heed, but I imagine it'd be hot.

Search ebay for Biker Scout Helmet PADDING STAR WARS prop.

For that price, though, it might be worth checking out. Pretty inexpensive. Still, it's wise to listen to the pros on here, and I am not one...yet.

I use MICH pads from an airsoft helmet which I got cheap from an online store since the helmet was busted. They're the same style as the pads you can find on EBay quite cheap in the US. The ones from Fenixprops will probably give you a heat stroke plus you will probably not hear anything, which is one of the benefits of using normal pads.

I have no issue with bending down or anything with these, and they're easily adjustable.

The placing is more or less like this with the front being to the left (or the right, don't remember ;) ):

th_P1000028.jpg

Don't mind the small box of rivet washers, it's not in the helmet ;)

• Like 2

SC actually uses a similar padding that Southscout mentioned above. If you got the helmet pre-assembled, that'll be in it. If you got the kit, ask Jeff @ SC to include the padding. There could be a slight charge but it's worth it.

I use MICH pads from an airsoft helmet which I got cheap from an online store since the helmet was busted. They're the same style as the pads you can find on EBay quite cheap in the US. The ones from Fenixprops will probably give you a heat stroke plus you will probably not hear anything, which is one of the benefits of using normal pads.

I have no issue with bending down or anything with these, and they're easily adjustable.

The placing is more or less like this with the front being to the left (or the right, don't remember ;) ):

th_P1000028.jpg

Those are the exact same pads I got at a military surplus store. I love them. They hold the helmet perfectly on my head.

Guest Gosdent

Just got my kit from Jeff in the mail...he included a full Condor helmet pad kit with it! Awesome! I've used alot of Condor products in the past for airsoft. VERY cool!

Yea, not sure why FenixProps made a pad for the front. Overall that pad looks good but, unless you are trooping in a freezer, I wouldnt use it as it looks like it will contain heat and not let your helmet breath as many will testify that keeping a good airflow in the helmet is a must to not only keep cool but keeps your visor from fogging up.

Guest Gosdent

Katscan, that's what I was thinking. Looked clean and all, but probably like sticking your head in an oven. I can't wait for this thing to be built so I can try out the Condor pads. I like the look and feel of that kind of padding in helmets anyway, so it was a great surprise that he included a set.

Guest SUP_Ronin

I picked up one of the Fenix Props cause I was curious. It came today and it seems well made, and decent quality. It's made from a light weight very breathable material. There is a large opening for the ears and if it was glued in carefully it would have a nice tidy appearance. The Condor pads are pretty nice and would more likely be form fitting to someone's specific head size. It looks like you're all set with the pads, but I wanted to give the FenixProp a brief description. It definitely isn't built like an oven mitt or anything, and it's 2 pieces so you could omit the snout part if it's hot or interferes with anything. We'll see how it works out in a test wear.

I picked up one of the Fenix Props cause I was curious. It came today and it seems well made, and decent quality. It's made from a light weight very breathable material. There is a large opening for the ears and if it was glued in carefully it would have a nice tidy appearance. The Condor pads are pretty nice and would more likely be form fitting to someone's specific head size. It looks like you're all set with the pads, but I wanted to give the FenixProp a brief description. It definitely isn't built like an oven mitt or anything, and it's 2 pieces so you could omit the snout part if it's hot or interferes with anything. We'll see how it works out in a test wear.

Ahh so the pictures on their site do not do it justice I take it? The pictures alone make it look like it would be hot and not allow much airflow, I do hope my original thoughts were wrong. Cant wait to hear your thoughts!

Guest SUP_Ronin

I agree. The auction pics make it look hot and stuffy. I'm waiting on my KS helmet to arrive, and I'll definitely be giving the liner a fair chance before I pass final judgement. I want the inside to look as neat and clean and functional as the outside, so I'm hoping the liner works out. Now if I can just find some 3m bolts for the lid...

I agree. The auction pics make it look hot and stuffy. I'm waiting on my KS helmet to arrive, and I'll definitely be giving the liner a fair chance before I pass final judgement. I want the inside to look as neat and clean and functional as the outside, so I'm hoping the liner works out. Now if I can just find some 3m bolts for the lid...

You can find the 3M bolts online and even on eBay. The grey bolts we know and love have been discontinued and replaced with the black version. You can still find them though, just look hard and ask questions.

3M SPEEDGLAS HEADBAND HARDWARE

GREY -

Part #: 051131-49520-3

UPC: 051131495203

Series #: 04-0067-00

BLACK -

Part #: 051131-37141-5

UPC: 051131371415

Series #: 04-0660-00

• 2 weeks later...

I used the headband from a Hasbro Darth Vader with some velcro to attach the thin padding from a skateboarding helmet (so I could remove and wash it). I had to rig up some sintra to make it fit with the 1.25" elevator bolts, but It works great.

• 9 months later...

th_P1000028.jpg

I can't recommend these enough. You can buy them here in Tampa at the local Army/Navy store. You can even pull out the padding or add padding if you like a cushy-er feeling. I had to remove a little on my TK helmet so my eyes lined up with the eye holes.